Help Me Please - Henley Regatta

(22 Posts)
TheWordFactory Wed 04-Jun-14 08:52:43

I'm going to the HR as a corporate guest.

What on earth do people wear?

I assume I need something to take me through watching boat races, standing around chatting, eating a sit down dinner etc

It might be hot, it might be gale force winds! Who can say?

What you think might work?

dexter73 Wed 04-Jun-14 09:05:57

I'm assuming you will be in the Stewards' Enclosure so you will have to wear a knee length+ dress or skirt. I would go for a dress with a jacket.

TheWordFactory Wed 04-Jun-14 09:08:36

I'm assuming so dexter.

DH and I will be guests of one of the corporate sponsors.

Is there a marquee do you know? Is it grass? I can just imagine standing on wet grass in the rain trying to look presentable and make reasonable conversation grin.

thepurplepenguin Wed 04-Jun-14 09:15:20

Unfortunately yes it is grass underfoot

I went once, dress, jacket and hat/fascinator very much the order of the day and they are strict with the hem line thing...

I thought it was awful personally and I got sunstroke so ended up vomiting behind a bin somewhere in Henley looking like a total pisshead!!

CMOTDibbler Wed 04-Jun-14 09:16:13

There will be a marquee, but you'll be walking on grass and it could be some distance. Rules are you must wear a skirt or dress below the knee, and hats are the norm. I'd order a lovely umbrella that goes with your outfit (I like this style) and then you can leave it in the car if the forecast is good.

Dress, jacket and wedges is your best bet, not too flashy

TheWordFactory Wed 04-Jun-14 09:18:44

purple it's not our thing either TBH!!!

But the sponsor is one of DH's clients and they've invited us so...

If it's grass, I'm thinking wedges?
And a dress that will take me from day time boat watching to evening dinner dance...possibly in sunstroke temperatures, possibily in a deluge grin.

TheWordFactory Wed 04-Jun-14 09:19:44

CMOT a brolly is a good idea!

nilbyname Wed 04-Jun-14 09:19:57

I would wear one of those long floaty pleated skirts, silk blouse, proper panama hat, nice blazer and then either wedges or flats.

something like this, but with a smarted silky blouse

TheWordFactory Wed 04-Jun-14 09:20:19

ps if I wear a hat, will I leave it on for the evening do?

nilbyname Wed 04-Jun-14 09:21:41
fluffyanimal Wed 04-Jun-14 09:32:02

Your DH should also be aware that in the Stewards Enclosure men are not permitted to remover their jackets unless the temperature tops something like 25 degrees, so he should think about what kind of jacket to have (linen?).

Mind you, you may not be in the Stewards Enclosure, which tends to be members only. On the other side of the river are numerous corporate clubs and these may have their own dress codes, which may be more relaxed than the Stewards. See if you can find out exactly where you are going.

And enjoy! I used to go to Henley every year since I was a child (in the dim and distant past when they let children into the Stewards Enclosure) and have always loved it.

Hopefully Wed 04-Jun-14 09:34:37

shock Are women still not allowed trousers at Henley?

CMOTDibbler Wed 04-Jun-14 09:36:31

You wouldn't keep the hat on at a dance. Don't wear a skirt thats too long though as it would get horrid round the hem if wet.

A proper hat, rather than a fascinator is more practical imo as it will keep the sun off and keep you cooler if hot. A fine straw in a boater or panama shape is rather vintage and understated imo

TheWordFactory Wed 04-Jun-14 09:37:31

fluffy it seems more likely that we will be in the corporate tents, rather than the members enclosure...

nilbyname Wed 04-Jun-14 09:39:11

could you rock a midi length skirt? I feel like you have to be quite small of frame to wear that length.

If you are in corporate rather than Stewards, then dress code will probably be more relaxed. It is VERY strict in Stewards. I would go for a full skirted dress / wedges and a jacket, with a pashmina and a hat (maybe a straw sunhat style rather than a mother of the bride thing). Similar to country wedding attire really.

Hopefully It is the most misogynist dress code going: "Ladies are required to wear dresses or skirts with a hemline below the knee and will not be admitted wearing divided skirts, culottes or trousers of any kind. Similarly, no one will be admitted to the Stewards' Enclosure wearing shorts or jeans."

from www.hrr.co.uk/spectators/stewards-enclosure/rules/

sunshinemmum Wed 04-Jun-14 11:53:15

And a handbag big enough for sunblock. It can be very exposed and DH got very burnt one year.

culturemulcher Wed 04-Jun-14 12:01:51

I've competed at Henley, but I haven't been as a guest.

I don't think you have to wear a hat, although plenty do. Imagine going to your lovely aunt's second wedding... that kind of outfit. Nice dress or skirt, but nothing to scare the horses. Don't go for any kind of heal except wedges or you'll sink into the grass.

Expect lots of braying in the steward's enclosures, overdressed people in the corporate tents, and also lots of people along the towpath actually having fun and watching the races.

RonaldMcDonald Wed 04-Jun-14 12:11:31

When I went to HRR I seem to remember lots and lots of hats
It may have changed but as a heads up lots of hats

TheWordFactory Wed 04-Jun-14 12:33:30

I love hats and fortunately I suit them...but if I have to take it off in the evening, I'm going to get serious helmet head!

Bowlersarm Wed 04-Jun-14 12:36:38

If you aren't in stewards, just wear a summer dress and it's irrelevant what length it is. There are a few hats around, but most women don't wear them.

Have a lovely day. If the weathers nice it is fab drinking and eating by the river in the sunshine smile

rubybleu Wed 04-Jun-14 21:48:37

If you are not in the Stewards Enclosure, the dress code is the upper end of smart. I have been a few times as a corporate guest in the Stewards Enclosure and it is a right faff. I'm 5'9" and finding a dress that doesn't show my knees is a nightmare. I don't and won't wear maxi dresses. I had the stewards chasing me all day once because my handbag kept rucking up one side of my hemline.

No need for a hat unless that's your thing; hats are in the minority in the stewards enclosure. Definitely wear sunscreen as you can get a bit burnt. Wear sensible shoes, wedges are good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now