Hell fire what to wear to posh wedding

(87 Posts)
jocastafantastica Tue 03-Jun-14 21:09:52

Please posh ladies help me!

I am going to a wedding in a blooming cathedral next month, it is black tie and cocktail dress/evening dress affair, what the frig should I wear???

I posted here yesterday with some dresses I liked from pretty dress co (can't link thread from iPhone but it's titled 'can I wear navy to a wedding'), however since then DP has casually mentioned this criteria! I am a commoner at heart but do scrub up fairly well, 5'7, 40 yrs old, 12/14 hourglass shape big boobs.......

Any suggestions/advice great fully received smile

twoboots Tue 03-Jun-14 21:26:35

I ordered this recently for a June wedding. It's very elegant, but too posh for this do, so but I've returned it as I can justify keeping it just in case

jocastafantastica Tue 03-Jun-14 21:34:17

That is very lovely, would be ideal if knee length. Can you see thread I did before with a link to a navy dress? Not sure now whether it is posh enough.....

jocastafantastica Tue 03-Jun-14 21:48:06

God a hat won't be compulsory will it??

MsVenus Tue 03-Jun-14 22:05:51

Yes sounds like a hat wedding if it's in a cathedral. John Lewis has a complimentary stylist service which will make your life easier as you tell them your requirements & they do all the running for you.

www.johnlewis.com/our-services/fashion-advice-service

Any of these with a hat, shrug/cover up, heels & bag or too casual?

ladyvlondon.com/Vintage-Tea-Dresses/

twoboots Tue 03-Jun-14 22:08:05

I would wear your prettydresscompamyone to work! I may just end up buying it!

I think it looks lovely but I would have to majorly bling it up for a wedding: it may not end up being so posh with my styling.

For my less than formal wedding outfit, I'm wearing a Black fascinator with netting and I'm attempting victory rolls

Cereal0ffender Tue 03-Jun-14 22:11:18

I might wear this to my posh wedding but I will be dammed if I will wear a hat

jocastafantastica Tue 03-Jun-14 22:19:30

I absolutely love Boden dress suggestion, however major problem have a deeply regretted 20 yr old sun tattoo on back of shoulder which would peep through net bit.

I agree the original navy dress I liked is too plain isn't it? I really can't bring myself to wear a hat I think I would feel so awkward in one.

Thoughts on this? m.coast-stores.com/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=2224868198

jocastafantastica Tue 03-Jun-14 22:20:11

What are victory rolls???

jocastafantastica Tue 03-Jun-14 22:22:39

Rather like vintage tea dresses too but not sure about big skirt bit, bit too Alice in wonderland for me!

jocastafantastica Tue 03-Jun-14 22:24:12

Don't think I have time for john Lewis service need to just order masses online and try it all on at home

jocastafantastica Tue 03-Jun-14 22:33:45

I like this Boden dress in the plain colours, esp the grey one?

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Wo

My mum recently wore this m.houseoffraser.co.uk/Linea+Lace+shutter+dress/190600249,default,pd.html to a posh wedding. She received loads of compliments think she wanted to wear it everyday after

Look Here loads of cocktail dresses! all suitable.
What time is the wedding?
Day time + cathedral = hat
If you hate hats then can you have an amazing up do with a diamanté comb (no fascinators) or a flower?
You need amazing accessories. A plain dress with fab accessories will look more cocktail-y.

And no pashminas either!

TroyMcClure Tue 03-Jun-14 22:48:43

Not the vintage tea dress thing, you need to look chic not like a tea pot

ABigail dress to high necked if you have tits

Boden link doesnt work to a grey dress, Evalina one is nice but ordinary

Like the Ossie clark one but long? Cathedral? nope

what about this ? www.reiss.com/womens/dresses/denny/turkish-blue/

TroyMcClure Tue 03-Jun-14 22:48:58
TroyMcClure Tue 03-Jun-14 22:52:07
TroyMcClure Tue 03-Jun-14 22:52:53
WineyQuiney Tue 03-Jun-14 23:05:15

But, see, when I manage to find a dress for a wedding, it just creates a further problem. What do you wear over it? What about shoes, hat, bag, hat, fascinator? I was at a wedding last weekend and I felt frumpy compared to very "put together" women who were wearing actual ensembles. Where do you purchase a dress that comes with a matching shrug or bolero type thing?

TroyMcClure Tue 03-Jun-14 23:06:28

you dont, you buy a dress with sleeves

Or wear a vest
Or only go to weddings on hot days grin

TroyMcClure Tue 03-Jun-14 23:06:39

Or buy a coat.

twoboots Tue 03-Jun-14 23:10:48

victory rolls: yes they are a bit edith a la 'allo 'allo
I was thinking how you might style your original navy prettydresscompany:
maybe something like this
obviously wrong and neckline: but that kind of idea?
I love stella and dot for statement jewellery: I think all these may work
daisy pearly necklace
bit more ethnic
coral coloured necklace with the matching earrings

twoboots Tue 03-Jun-14 23:14:04

i have that mintvelvet one TroyMcLure, its a bit cheap feeling and vaguely trashy looking (maybe thats just my styling!), I love it and the cut is very flattering, but I'm not sure if its posh wedding material

TroyMcClure Tue 03-Jun-14 23:14:40

oh right - or maybe she can shake it up a little

* aye carumba *

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now