Best Make Up Brushes

(27 Posts)
WaitMonkey Mon 12-May-14 16:33:07

I've decided to update my very old make up brushes, and treat myself to some new ones. Any recommendations please ? I've heard good things about Mac brushes.

goodasitgets Mon 12-May-14 16:36:55

Real techniques ones are great, I especially love the silicone eyeliner brush and the stippling foundation one

MaryShelley Mon 12-May-14 16:43:37

I love my mac set.

LoadsaBlusher Mon 12-May-14 17:55:58

Mac for eyeshadow brushes

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 12-May-14 18:40:25

Real techniques

Or the fake Mac brushes from China on Ebay which are amazing, seriously.

The body shop are excellent quality.

Ihatemytoes Mon 12-May-14 19:35:30

Body shop brushes are fab. And there's usually a 40% off code knocking about.

WaitMonkey Mon 12-May-14 21:26:51

Thanks. Going to the shops tomorrow so will look at Mac, RT and the Body Shop. Thanks for the tips. Wouldn't off thought of the Body Shop, will look in-store then if I like them order online if I can find a code. Think some of the brushes I need to replace are RT, lasted ages. Definitely want to look at the Mac ones.

I have some Body Shop ones from when they used to comb the hair off ponies grin

Some M&S Autograph
Some Barbara Daly for Tesco
Bare Minerals

(A bit of a mixed bag really)

I bought a set of the Barbara Daley for my DD to make it easier to practice with (she's 12) - they are good quality but not ££ (I got them in a sale at Tesco)

WaitMonkey Mon 12-May-14 21:38:17

Comb the hairs off ponies !!!! shock shock shock shock shock Really ? I assumed they would all be synthetic. Don't fancy horse hair.

[Adds Barbra Dayley to the list, thanks.]

The combed ponies brushes were back in the 1980s when Body Shop was a real lentil weaver shop grin
Probably synthetic now

WaitMonkey Mon 12-May-14 21:48:39

Ha, you're probably right. Body Shop used to have some ethics. Just the same as everyone else now.

[Secretly really to be talking to famous MN person 70] grin

DUSTIN Mon 12-May-14 21:48:51

I have a Ruby and Millie ones, ELF ones and I have just bought a set of Nanshy foundation brushes. ELF stipple and angled eye liner brushes are very good (and cheap smile). I have only just bought the Nanshy after seeing very good reviews on Amazon and Youtube.

oldiebutnctoday Mon 12-May-14 21:55:35

My dd (who spends hours on the internet researching make-up because she is 14) says the real techniques ones are always raved about by make-up artists wink

ZacharyQuack Tue 13-May-14 03:00:47

RT are great for face brushes - foundation, blush, powder. If you like eyeshadow, get MAC 239, 217 and 224 and you'll be sorted. If you only get one MAC brush, get a 217.

yazzy85 Tue 13-May-14 11:04:06

Have both Mac and real techniques are they are equally excellent quality, real techniques were a lot cheaper off amazon

frankietwospots Tue 13-May-14 11:11:24

The Real Techniques stippling brush has changed my life. Seriously.

MissBlake Tue 13-May-14 17:05:04

Rt brushes are great, for a year then they shed like mad.
Never heard of this happening to anyone else.
Mac do the best brushes imo, I have a powder and foundation brushes that are five years old.

Eco tools are good value and no shedding yet. I do find the range a bit limited though

I don't have any but sigma brushes have great reviews online

Elf brushes from the studio line are great, these ones are £3.75 T I don"t like the £1.00 ones from the standard range.

No7 kabuki brush is great but I have not tried any others.

Crown brushes sell directly to make up artists and have great reviews so have a look at thier site. I keep meaning to order a set but I not exactly short of brushes here!

Justtoobad Tue 13-May-14 17:07:20

I use nice paint brushes from Hobbie Craft, much cheaper and really good.

Leviticus Tue 13-May-14 21:40:10

Frankie I have one but it leaves me with visible brush stroke marks on my face!

What do you do with it that you rate it so highly?

BloodFlower Tue 13-May-14 22:19:58

Crown brushes are good quality, very soft and cheap.

Leviticus you shouldn't be stroking with the stippling brush - you stipple with it! So a sort of fast dabbing motion all over your face - not brush strokes. It's amazing!

frankietwospots Tue 13-May-14 23:31:47

Agree! You sort of dot it and buff with it.

Leviticus Wed 14-May-14 00:10:21

Thanks both. How do you get the product on your face to stipple with? Applied on the actual brush or dotted on your face?

goodasitgets Wed 14-May-14 00:13:26

I put the foundation on the back of my hand then dab the brush in to apply it smile

Have just ordered some RT dupes off eBay

singaporeswing Wed 14-May-14 02:09:51

Zoeva are my new favourites.

I do wedding make up in my spare time so have to have loads of different brushes. Don't buy fake off the Internet, really not worth the money.

I have a combination of Real Techniques and MAC for face, Zoeva and Sigma for eyes and rest of make up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now