Dumb question. If I have my roots done at the hairdressers and...

(19 Posts)
LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 14:43:04

my hair was coloured at home done elsewhere, will they need to colour the whole of my hair to make the colour match so charge me shit loads or can they match their colour to the home colour, so only do the roots and charge me less?

confused

thanks

I think they will have to do all over and then do roots on another appointment.

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 14:47:04

Ah bugger! Thank you.

In that case I'll colour it myself and get them to cut it so I don't have to sell a kidney

I quite like my current colour. I'd just be asking them to colour it the same so it seems nuts for them to charge me for a 're-colour'. It just needs the roots doing. Argh!

Awks Mon 12-May-14 18:03:48

I do it the other way round, I have my hair done every 6 weeks with full head and foils. As I am almost entirely grey I have to touch up the roots myself using a �2 dye from Wilkos every 2 weeks. So I do roots twice in between each salon colour. It works absolutely fine.

MrsMcGregor Mon 12-May-14 18:13:37

Whilst we're on the topic of hair colours can I ask what really is a dumb question please? Yours wasn't OP!

I had a semi permanent all-over colour done at the hairdressers about 2 months ago. If I make an apt do I just get the roots touched up or do I have to give them another arm and leg to do the whole lot? I realise how stupid this sounds but there is a distinct difference in colour at my roots!

Thanks

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 18:13:42

How do you get the colours to match?

I have a couple of chunks of grey which are 'dye resistant'. I had it coloured at Aveda last year and it didn't take, it looked silly so they had to re-do it. Then my hair started to fall out a little. I didn't go back and I've done it at home myself but it's turned out patchy so it could do with a good colour. I could find somewhere cheaper or just suck it up (the dye costs more than the cut). Then again, I could just leave it to go grey and save the money. Oh, decisions!!

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 18:17:19

MrsMc Semi permanents fade, not permanent you see. If you get your roots done it may not match with the rest of your hair as the touched up parts may have more colour than the older bits at the ends. As you've had it done 2 months ago you may not notice that it's fading/looking less vibrant but it will show if only the roots are done. I'd have it all done.

Mine's a permanent colour, done in March. I doubt they can match 'Nice & Easy' to do only the roots but it was worth asking wink

Lady - I'm a hairdresser we can match most colours, most salons would do the roots and then a colour refresh where they pull the colour through to the ends for the last five minutes to make sure the roots blend and match the colour on the ends, where I've worked we've never charged any extra for the re fresh as its just a case of combing the colour through but ring your salon and check if not find one that will!

I have managed to match many a nice and easy colour with a salon colour so I think you would be ok!

MrsMcGregor - a semi permanent colour in salons fades out so that you do not have a definite line of regrowth so you would need the whole lot doing again as the roots would be noticeable if it wasn't applied to the ends.

Shouldwego Mon 12-May-14 18:33:33

Nouseforaname

A different question for you if I may please.

I am 80% grey at the front and probably 30-50% elsewhere and dye my hair a dark brown. I have been doing it myself for the last couple of years as I now need to do it every three weeks due to the roots. Over time it has got darker and darker so I have booked at a local college to have the colour stripped and then the whole thing dyed a lighter brown.
Two questions though please.

When it is stripped will it be my 'natural' colour, I.e. Would I get to see what it would have been like if I hadn't dyed it at all?

How will they take it if I want to know the exact colours they use so that I can do it myself at home afterwards? I think they use wella by the website and I'd either match it to a home colour or get my mum (who is a retired hairdresser) to get it from the hairdressers suppliers for me.

Thanks a lot.

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 18:40:35

Thank you, NoUse smile It says 'all prices are from and established on consultation', but I haven't had a consultation. My appointment's on Friday. I'm trying to get it as cheap as I can (she gave me some discount vouchers the last time I had my hair cut but I can't find them!) blush

Shouldwego - all hairdye that uses peroxide regardless of going light or dark will lift the hair (dark colours lift the hair colour a fraction before depositing the darker colour) so it wont be your natural colour it will probably be a slightly coppery version of your natural colour if not bright orange it varies from person to person.

re asking what colours used, they wont mind telling you, especially having it done at college if anything just say its so you know if you have it done in a salon.

Lady - i would still ring and ask, they should tell you over the phone, i cant see them saying you will have to wait until you go in, usually the price on consultation is to cover them selves if they quote X amount for a full head colour and then you go in and ask for full head highlights and a colour and toner and treatment etc and then say 'oh but i was quoted X on the phone!' but seeing as you just want to know if colour refresh is included in the price or an extra they should tell you even if they don't give you an exact price

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 18:57:11

I asked when I booked the appointment (I went in), the lady on the desk gave me their service menu (might be giving things away here) and said it depended on what I needed and to discuss it with the colour stylist on the day. Problem is that there's 3 different charges for three different levels and I don't know which level the stylist is. There's also a huge difference between a colour change (which I don't want as I like my current colour sans the grey) and a colour regrowth. There's also a separate charge for 'colour enhancer', which must be the colour come through you mention above.

confused

colette Mon 12-May-14 18:59:50

Nouseforaname - can I ask a haircolouring related question please ?
How do I tone down the brassiness on my light brown tinted hair without going too dark. Colour was lovely and rich 2 mnths ago, now brassy again.
I have used salon shampoo and conditioner .
sorry to hijack lady

colette Mon 12-May-14 19:00:56

Not suprised you're confused LadyS

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 19:11:38

No worries smile

nannynoss Mon 12-May-14 19:49:50

I had hair extensions once (brown in my naturally blonde hair). Half way through extension wear, I had to have my roots done. I panicked and just moaned at the pub what a pain it was gonna be. A hairdresser overheard me and told me she could match up the colour to do my roots. She did exactly that and it matched perfectly to the rest of my (home dyed) hair grin

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 19:56:38

Ah, excellent! I've had a think, and on account that I'm having most of it cut off anyway it (slightly longer than a pixie) would be silly to spend ££ on hair that will be going in the bin! I'm going to ask for her to do only the roots.

This was a real 'duh!' moment blush

MrsMcGregor Mon 12-May-14 22:26:58

Thanks LadySybil and Nouse .... Yes, it makes sense that the colour is fading and therefore it wouldn't work. Bummer - so expensive! Time before last another stylist put a permanent colour in - half the price and I was really happy with it but my regular stylist went absolutely nuts!

Hope your cut and roots turn out well on Friday LadyS

Shouldwego Tue 13-May-14 07:27:38

Thank you NoUseforAName.

Perhaps I won't keep it the stripped colour then!! At least I won't panic if it goes orange at that stage!

It is strange being a 'free agent' hairdresser wise, I have used the same lady for the last ten years but she recently gave up hairdressing. So thanks for your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now