ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Does it really have to be dry cleaned?

(11 Posts)
SpringItOn Sat 10-May-14 14:19:03

I have a 100% viscose top from FCUK. Does it really have to be dry cleaned as per the label? Can I risk it on a hand wash cycle?

Kundry Sat 10-May-14 14:20:18

Almost certainly.

However if it's ruined, I had nothing to do with it grin

MuttonCadet Sat 10-May-14 14:22:10

I would, but again, please don't blame me if it's a mess afterwards.

SpringItOn Sat 10-May-14 14:27:33

Hmm! Think a trip to the dry cleaners may be necessary grin
Sloshed wine down it last night.

MuttonCadet Sat 10-May-14 14:28:57

I've never dry cleaned anything, and never had an issue.

Parliamo Sat 10-May-14 14:30:49

Does it have folds/ drapey bits? I washed a dry clean only dress from Hobbes, and it's fine, but the drapey bits dont fall quite the same.

I'm now inspecting clothes labels and avoiding viscose. It looks like its worn out in a few washes.

SpringItOn Sat 10-May-14 14:37:58

It's sort of sheer & flowey and would look a bugger if it went wavy. Not buying viscose again It was a bargain at 70% off so I didn't look at the care label. Probably why it was in the sale.

KiaOraOAotearoa Sat 10-May-14 14:57:57

Do you have a tumble dryer? Supermarkets sell dry cleaning 'sheets' (they look like paper sheets), you put one in the tumble dryer with the garment. That's what I do.

PunchHouse Sat 10-May-14 15:03:00

I risked a viscose dress in the wash too

It feels different - can't work out which dimension has shrunk but something did. It's still wearable but not as comfortable

Kundry Sat 10-May-14 15:20:42

Viscose is machine washable but shrinks - I do lots of home sewing and would pre-wash viscose before I made anything with it so garments then would be machine washable without risk.

However a shop bought viscose item may be OK, may shrink and may wash OK but the handle of the fabric may be changed. I'm not great at taking stuff for dry cleaning so I tend to risk it and if the item changes or shrinks, I just have to lump it.

However a big wine stain will prob be best at the dry cleaners.

SpringItOn Sat 10-May-14 18:48:35

I do have a tumble dryer but think the wine stain might mean I have to get it dry cleaned. Thanks for all the tips though, might come in handy in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now