Self tanning / fake tanning novice needs help!

(12 Posts)
Difficultdecisions Fri 09-May-14 21:04:19

I look so much better with a bit of a tan but aren't going on holiday until September. I have never self or faked tanned before and need an idiot's guide step by step series of instructions, including specific product recommendations. I want to concentrate on legs, arms, face and neck - all the visible bits! Thank you.

You'n'me both wink

I've ordered a Leighton Denny set (still waiting for it to arrive)- it has a mitt to apply and I think it's a mousse.

OK- you need to exfloliate like a demon, get rid of all the dry skin especially round knees, ankles, elbows.
Moisturise well beforehand
If you wax or shave leave at least 24 hours after or you can end up with little 'speckles' where it sits in your pores.

My Leighton set doesn't have a scrub but I've got some EcoScrub left (foaming exfoliant) . EcoTan is a spray self tan, I'ved used it in past but only found it on Amazon now.

Blend well to make sure there's no streaks, you might need help with your back.
And wash your hands well - orange palms are a no-no wink

My tanning season starts after the Easter hols (although don't know why I bother with the current terrible weather) anyway, after years of disasters experience here is my guide to successful tanning:

You will need:
A nail brush
A body brush or exfoliating glove
Fake tan...current fav is St Tropez gradual tan, quite like Dove too as it smells nice...after years of Johnsons holiday skin I can't bare the smell, but it's good too. I go for the fair/med and build up.

I apply a thin layer every other day after showering in the morning and let it dry while doing my make up.
Better to apply thin layer anfpd build up, less chance of disasters.

Right:

Exfoliate like mad...knees, ankles and elbows.
When you apply think of where you tan most....shoulders, front of arms, front legs and apply there then blend round the back and inside of arms.
Rub in really well.
Now....use a tissue to dab not rub off the excess lotion from your knees, elbows, ankles, heels, the crease on the inside of your elbow and inside of your wrist all dry or give away areas
Watch your feet too, you only need a bit on the top of your foot...blend really well.
Wash your hands and use a nail brush to clean cuticles because these can go really yellow if you leave lotion on them.
When your hands are dry dab a tiny blob of fake tan on the top of a hand and rub both tops together (watch your knuckles) because you don't want tanned arms and white hands.

Good luck

MissMrsMummy Fri 09-May-14 22:25:58

Exfoliate first - I use a dry body brush before showering or a mitt that you use in the shower with your normal shower gel.

Then apply a thick moisturiser to any dry areas - knees, elbows and underarms. I also apply it to my hands and feet.

Use a tanning mitt from Boots or Superdrug. Apply the tan to the mitt and start rubbing it onto your skin starting at your feet and working your way up your body. Make sure you cover everywhere such as in between your toes and the backs of your knees (easily missed!). Lastly you will need to do your hands so apply some tan to the mitt while it is on your left hand then rub it onto the back of your right hand and vice versa. Also do your face, neck and ears (also often missed!).

I can only recommend Vita Liberata Intense Silken Mousse as I have tried EVERYTHING and this is by far the best. Doesn't smell too bad, is organic and doesn't contain any of those nasty chemicals that were in the news a while back. Oh, and I always get compliments about the shade - kind of a honey glow.

Skivvywoman Sat 10-May-14 09:12:44

For fool proof self fake tanning

Make sure you exfoliate well especially knees,ankles and elbows

Just before you apply tan
Half an hour before moisturise well and let it sink it
Then right before you use tan I put another spot of moisturiser on knees elbows and ankles and I also put on my eyebrows as I'm fair
Then using a self tanning mitt and I use st moritz medium tanning mouse not the spray apply 2-3 squirts to mitt and apply in circle motions, you will know how much to use as you can see it, do your body arms and legs first then whatever's on the glove use for your face and neck
I normally do 2 thin layers
Then let it dry for half an hour before you go to bed then shower off in the morning and a lovely natural tan you will havesmile

SpringyReframed Sat 10-May-14 12:05:20

I am also a novice but bought some discounted St Tropez gel and exfoliator this week from TK Maxx. I followed instructions and just did my legs yesterday. I'm very pleased with them today (and v pleased with the price, I only decided to have a go because it was all so cheap ) but not sure I have the time or commitment to do this regularly!

I must get some of the mitts recommended.

Marmaladecat1 Sat 10-May-14 12:29:11

Do you need to exfoliate as much if you use a gradual tanner?

LadyPeterWimsey Tue 13-May-14 09:34:51

Bumping so someone will answer marmeladecat's question for me...

pod3030 Tue 13-May-14 09:40:14

I find if you're in a hurry to get dressed, dry mist spray (no 7 is good) as it's not greasy and you don't have to wait for it to sink in. If anyone can recommend me one with a nicer smell though - i'm a very fair skinned redhead so a thin spray of this or a gradual tanner is for me. Second the exfoliation/scrub hands/moisturise knees etc.

pod3030 Tue 13-May-14 09:50:49

exfoliate initially with the gradual, then the next applications just do the moisturiser on the knees.
Once you get to your preferred colour, there will come a point when you will need to do a mega scrub to get the old tan off and refresh. i find this very satisfying, especially in the bath and it leaves a tide mark!

LadyPeterWimsey Tue 13-May-14 10:25:36

Thank you!

Marmaladecat1 Tue 13-May-14 17:08:54

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now