Seriously thinking about binning all of my makeup

(39 Posts)

I have too much. If you were building your make up from scratch, what would your must have products?

EatShitDerek Thu 08-May-14 22:07:55

I only have some 3 year old foundation, 3 eye liners and 2 mascaras.

I'm too lazy for anything else.

Must haves:

eyebrow pencil (I have a ybf which I love and a Benefit Gimme Brow which takes a bit of practice)

eyeliner- currently I love the Barry M Bold Metallics and Mally

mascara- must be thickening, lengthening, miracle in a bottle type- Benefits They're Real

lipgloss- Soap&Glory Motherpuckers (tingles)

Body Shop Beech lipliner

that would be it for me. I don't wear blusher or foundation.

MsAspreyDiamonds Fri 09-May-14 02:59:17

Check out the Superdrug MUA range which is very good quality at an affordable price.

BetterWithCheese Fri 09-May-14 03:14:37

All I'm wearing currently is:

lancome Teint Miracle foundation - gives me nice, glowy skin

Elizabeth Arden Ceramide cream blush in Honey - nice healthy cheeks

Boots mascara in gold tube

YSL Glossy lip stain - I think in 27 but would definitely consider other colours

Some neutral eyeshadow - I use various ones but need to find a go to one as none are quite right

Eyebrow pencil - currently Soap and Glory
Lengthening mascara
Eyeliner - current favourite is Bourjois Intuitive pen with tiny prongs to get right into the lash line
Eye primer - Benefit Lemon Aid
Neutral eye shadow - No 7 Wheatsheaf
A natural lip colour - current fave is Revlon Lip Butter in Pink Truffle
I also use a dab of cream to powder foundation to even out skin tone.

WildBill Fri 09-May-14 06:04:31

Mascara
Foundation
sheer lipstick

I have a case of nice makeup but only ever use the above

MikeLitoris Fri 09-May-14 06:12:46

The stuff that I use most is

Benefit oxygen wow foundation
Mac concealer (not cheap but lasts forever)
Mua cream blusher (exactly same as more expensive)
Soap and glory mascara (sometimes used benefit but it's too hard to get off every day)
Mac eyebrow pencil
Small eyeshadow pallet from New Look. I'm sure it's by Giles deacon

I also use Smashbox photo finish primer.

singaporeswing Fri 09-May-14 06:18:53

If all my make up went missing, this is what I would repurchase in a heartbeat.

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm as primer
Lancome concealer
Laura Mercier foundation
Laura Mercier powder
Bobbi Brown Grey eyeshadow on my eyebrows
Bobbi Brown Slopes blush
Shu Uemura eyelash curlers
MAC gel eyeliner
Maybelline mascara
MAC lipstick in various shades

This is what I wear on a daily basis for work. For nights out, I use a MAC palette of eyeshadows that I put together. You need a good mix of shimmer and matte - I recommend Smashbox Full Exposure palette for a good all-in-one.

For brushes, I have a mixture of Real Techniques, MAC, Zoeva and Sigma. I recommend Zoeva completely.

PootlewasthebestFlump Fri 09-May-14 10:01:15

Laura Mercier is excellent. I bought tons when I got married and the foundation lasted 1 year and was flawless. Her squeezy eyeshadow in a tube is sublime and lasts forever.

Boots mascara is as good as more expensive ones.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 09-May-14 11:28:57

You'll hate me but I tend to do eyeliners to give my eyes interest - they're a grey/blue and I got this Mac one recently and well it's a staple and SIL's SIL recently complimented me and is getting the same one! It's easy as pie to apply as is a pearl glide formula.

www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/shaded/151/7200/Products/Eyes/Liner/Pearlglide-Intense-Eye-Liner/index.tmpl

I agree with Pootle Collection 2000 is great Supersize is under £5 and cheaper and better than Boots! Also I got Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch as budget for Clinique Air Brush/Flash - just as good, I will go for the Clinique again though. Also L'Oreal Magique Eau de Teint is a nice foundation, new out.

oh and great lipstick which suits you. or gloss.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 09-May-14 11:30:26

I do wear various pallettes, Clinique on eyes etc and use NARS powder (ok) recently got a nice Bobbi Brown bronzer that on my fair-ish skin looks very natural and can be built up. this is coming from someone hates the tanned look and prefers a glow.

BarbieCan Fri 09-May-14 11:39:12

I am in awe
I wish I was as knoweable as you guys here
I have a wedding to go to this year and I am even thinking about paying for someone to do my makeup.
Would a self makeup course be any useful or do I have to watch boring videos on youtube?

SuperFlyHigh Fri 09-May-14 11:57:26

Barbie

Bobbi Brown counters and Body Shop do free makeup lessons (no pressure to buy). They're both great.

no need to pay for a course. You can choose from a variety of tutorials and you can just book or turn up at the counter.

auldspinster Fri 09-May-14 12:05:03

Barbie I would check out Wayne Goss's tutorials on you tube - he's very good at explaining the basics. Pixiwoo, Lisa Eldridge and Charlotte Tilbury's channels are very good as well.

Chewbecca Fri 09-May-14 12:14:26

I could cope day to day with just
- YSL false lash mascara
- any old eye pencil
- one colour for lips, or rosy Vaseline if not

I know I could look 'better' but for me, this is enough.
For special occasions I add:
- foundation, never found a perfect one
- blusher - any old
- benefit smokey eye make up pallet

And that's the lot. My brows don't need much attention.

Do you want to look 'done' and 'polished' or do you want to be more au naturel?

I'm pretty much starting mine from scratch. I'm returning to work after 8 years at home and figured my normal cheap stuff could do with being replaced.

I've bought Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua foundation, along with a cream blush and a lipstick. I like MAC eyeshadow.

Sorry, didnt mean to post and run. Some fab suggestions here. I just look at my make up bag(s) and think I've far too much stuff. I just need the guts to truly chuck what I don't use. I need a fresh look too. I'd never get rid of my boots botanicals bb cream or my Clinique lip gloss but I seriously think the rest could go. This weekend, I'm going to do it. Probably. Maybe. grin

Crafty, my everyday look is natural. But I do go to some 'posh' do's where I need to glam up. I think I'm after the makeup equivalent of a capsule wardrobe.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 09-May-14 14:23:57

OP - seriously look at your eyes their colour. I find a great eyeliner (as well as the rest) works really well for me (with mascara) for daytime.

can't be bothered with eyeshadow for everyday unless interview etc.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 09-May-14 14:24:38

also dazzling what colouring are you?

the Urban Decay naked pallettes meant to be excellent but I love NARS too.

VenusDeWillendorf Fri 09-May-14 14:26:29

Have a look at Lisa elridge on her website. Google it- she's brilliant on all kinds of modern toned down looks, and just normal pretty make up - has lists of products. Surprisingly few few items and not all high-end expensive products.

SummerRain Fri 09-May-14 14:30:40

eyeliner and lip gloss.

I've recently discovered BB cream which I much prefer to foundation

Powder to stop me shining

A couple of dark lippies for nighttime

maybe eyeshadow but I rarely wear it so wouldn't be pushed.

I know mascara should be on the list but it irritates my eyes so if I were binning anything that would be the first to get dumped!

I'm fairly pale not white but don't tan well, dark hair and blue grey eyes. I like black mascara but tend to wear neutral eye colour usually bobbi brown bone. In an ideal world I would have a basic daytime look which I could oomph up for the evening and then pump up the glamour on occasion but the basis would be the same iyswim. I'm thinking that I might book a makeover with a few counters, see what they come up with and then go from there. I thought maybe MAC, space nk, boots 7. Anyone else? I think I'm driven by a need to simplify my life in more areas than this.

moneyone Sat 10-May-14 06:43:20

Foundation
Blusher (only needed since arrival of dc2/hitting 35 - not sure what the culprit is, but I'm a walking corpse without it)
Mascara
3 lipsticks (pale pink, bright pink, red)
Eyeshadow for special occasions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now