Has anyone successfully rescued their hair after years of abusing it with GHDs?

(15 Posts)
Pinkjenny Sat 03-May-14 16:44:39

My hair has literally not grown in 18 months. Hairdresser said it's breaking off at the ends because of the straighteners. Have started to use Moroccan oil but I can't see any difference.

Is it really the GHDs? Do I have to <<shudder>> embrace the curls?

It's the GDHs. Embrace the curls smile

Also try putting the oil on before and after you wash. Don't forget good conditioner. When ice turned my hair to straw I've used Aussie hair mask as a regular conditioner for several weeks.

EatShitDerek Sat 03-May-14 18:59:31

I use GHDs a d now use Milk_shake products. My hair feels like it did when I came out of the hairdressers after every wash now.

I am not a seller of the product by the way, search my name, this is first time I have mentioned it

grin

Smells delish too

Pinkjenny Sat 03-May-14 18:59:34

It's ironic, I used to love my curls. But then so much straightening made them look awful too. It's a lose lose!

Bonsoir Sat 03-May-14 18:59:52

Embrace the curls. Much better!

Stop using any sort of heated appliance - just wash and condition and blow dry on a cool setting.

This happened to me and I switched to using the babyliss big hair which has tamed my curly hair and leaves it with a bounce/curls at the end. My hair is now thicker and shinier and I get lots of compliments that I've never had before smile

Saurus72 Sat 03-May-14 19:09:25

Also check that you're not using any products containing silicone, e.g. frizz ease. My hair was literally breaking off after years of using frizz ease; I stopped using it about 3 months ago and I can't believe the difference it's made already.

KosherBacon Sat 03-May-14 19:11:42

Embrace the curls/ waves, walk away from the straighteners!

MsAspreyDiamonds Sat 03-May-14 19:13:29

My sister shaved hers off completely after years of damaging her hair by straightening it. It has now grown back to waist length and is in fabulous condition.

Agree about frizz ease, it may work well to start with, but with high heat gets fused to your hair and seriously buggers it up.

Also agree about the big hair, but I try and limit that too.

Fcukfifa Sat 03-May-14 19:28:22

Buy some unrefined virgin coconut oil and slather it on your hair once a week or so before washing out. Fantastic stuff!

I bleached my hair white last year before dying it lilac and I'm still feeling the after effects with breakage at the ends so really trying to look after it.

It's so annoying that hair looks and feels nicer after blow drying and straightening but is ruining it too. Viscous cycle.

Fcukfifa Sat 03-May-14 19:28:49

Vicious**

Pinkjenny Sat 03-May-14 19:45:35

Will try and reduce the usage. I'm not shaving it off though!

splodgeness Mon 05-May-14 21:30:11

Yes. Do a clarifying shampoo then go silicone free. Lots of info on other threads. Worked a treat for me, thought I was going to have to give up the GHDs but now my hair is all swishy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now