Is this a nice summer dress?

(27 Posts)
middleagedspread Thu 01-May-14 19:58:08

Or am I turning into my mother?
It's for parties/ holidays etc.
Late 40's big tummy, flat chest, OK legs.
www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/Smart-Day-Dresses/WH625/Womens-Olivia-Dress.html?m=3

OnaPromise Thu 01-May-14 20:06:19

I found a photo of my mother the other day and then realised it was actually me. In answer to your question I think its a bit hard to tell with florals whether it will look fab or frumpy until you try it on.

OldBagWantsNewBag Thu 01-May-14 20:08:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OnaPromise Thu 01-May-14 20:09:14

Although I think being flatter chested helps actually. I like it and I like the colour.

NecklessMumster Thu 01-May-14 20:12:01

No, it's nice and not frumpy
Being big boobed I'm better in a v neck..the casual jersey dress better on me.

OnaPromise Thu 01-May-14 20:12:37

Yes oldbag its the matronly thing with florals and bigger boobs. Feel like les Dawson. It looks like it might do some useful tummy hiding.

middleagedspread Thu 01-May-14 20:14:06

I'm 5'9" size 12L so lots of dresses are too short. I definitely look better with just below the knee old knees & having small boobs a higher neck is a bit more distracting. I really don't want to look 'woman of a certain age' despite being one grin
I've ordered the navy pattern.

WalkingThePlank Thu 01-May-14 20:17:04

The dress is fine and I don't think 'too old'. I too find Boden dress necklines make me look matronly. If you are generally slim with smaller norkage you should be fine.

OnaPromise Thu 01-May-14 20:19:59

You are tall and slim, you'll look fab

middleagedspread Thu 01-May-14 20:28:51

Thanks for the comments. I'm not really slim due to the lumpy middle but I'm hoping the pattern distracts. I was worried that it would be frumpy, so thank you.

Bunbaker Thu 01-May-14 20:38:22

I don't think that dress looks frumpy at all. Go for it. I would love to wear a dress like that, but I am too pear shaped sad

"I find Boden dresses have too high a neckline for me (Size 12, big boobs) so look I matronly. They're too long (I'm 5'4") and finish unflatteringly just under the knee"

Being 5'7" with small boobs it sounds like Boden were made for me. Sadly most of their clothes are too £££ for my pocket.

Mumelie Thu 01-May-14 20:46:15

Ordered and returned this dress recently. I'm a 12-14 so ordered the 14 on the reviews. It was too small (esp on tummy) and made for someone less curvy than me. A 16 would have been huge on shoulders and legs.

middleagedspread Thu 01-May-14 20:46:36

There are always loads of ebay Bun, maybe worth a look if you're the same shape as me?

BillyBanter Thu 01-May-14 20:53:29

How can that dress possibly be too old for someone in their late 40s?

Hassled Thu 01-May-14 20:55:56

I'm not convinced that dress would be very forgiving if you're large of tum. I have the exact same body shape as you - no tits, slimmish, but large belly and reasonable legs - I wouldn't wear that.

middleagedspread Thu 01-May-14 20:58:56

What style do you think's more flattering Hassled?

MMcanny Thu 01-May-14 20:59:53

I don't think that would zip up over a big tummy, but maybe your idea of a big tummy and mine are rather different - lol.

TheRealMaryMillington Thu 01-May-14 20:59:54

I think its a bit frumpy, sorry - both the print (plus not keen on brights on white) and the high cut waistline. Could be a bit barrel-ish ifs there is ay kind of belly going on.

AmberLeaf Thu 01-May-14 21:01:09

I think it's lovely.

You would have to have nice non bingo wingy upper arms I think though, sleeves like that are not very forgiving if you are fleshy of arm.

middleagedspread Thu 01-May-14 21:03:17

Blimey, I'm going to look huge. Luckily it's free postage/returns. I don't have a sticky out tummy more a thickening tyre around the middle.
Barrel-ish describes it.

Hassled Thu 01-May-14 21:03:46

I wish I knew. It's like searching for the Holy Grail. I think it's drawstring/belted dresses - something where you can vaguely hide your gut with something else. Dresses like yours which just go over the gut don't disguise it.

Or kaftans. There are always kaftans.

Psycobabble Thu 01-May-14 21:04:44

Hmmmm I have to agree with the not been flattering on a belly actually it looks a tight fit I was goin to wear a similair style to a wedding n it was not at all flattering to my stomach wich to be fair is not very big you could see every bump! I opted for one that was 2 colours and the way the colour nipped in at the waist looked really flattering it's hard to explain what I mean though sad

coffeetofunction Thu 01-May-14 21:09:48

The dress is gorgeous!!

middleagedspread Thu 01-May-14 21:10:27

Well I've ordered it & shall report back.
I've been seduced by marketing again, in my head I'm a size 10 model with swishy hair.
I'm loving Hassled solution, could be a winner.

NomDePrune Thu 01-May-14 22:53:21

Saw a very very similar dress in sainsburys today, by Gok Wan. Quite stunning and I doubt I'd be able to spot much difference, but maybe it's all in the fit. About half the price of the Boden one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now