Impossible dress challenge.....

(40 Posts)
MyRealNamesBernard Thu 01-May-14 11:53:48

I need to find a dress for a wedding I am going to in Spain in... wait for it... August! Thrilled as I am at the thought of enjoying guaranteed sunshine for one lovely long weekend this year, I am having a complete nightmare finding a suitable dress as everything, literally EVERYTHING, seems to be made of sweat-tastic polyester. I need something in either 100% silk or possibly cotton (or some other cool fabric) but I also need - and this is the tricky bit - for it to be within my budget which is under £100. It needs to be pretty glam too.

I know I am asking a lot, but has anyone spotted anything in their travels that might fit the bill....? TIA

Oh, nearly forgot, I am size 10, 5ft 6in, very fair skinned, my legs are not great (knobbly knees) so no short dresses - midi would be fine, though.

EyelinerQueen Thu 01-May-14 11:56:44
MyRealNamesBernard Thu 01-May-14 12:21:31

Thank you Eyeliner. I would be overwhelmed for choice if it was a UK wedding, but a lot of those dresses are made from manmade fibres and are also quite fitted so not sure I would cope in the heat. Will keep that website in my favourites, though, as there are some gorgeous dresses there....

EyelinerQueen Thu 01-May-14 12:25:09

Yeah some of them are lovely. Makes me wish I 1. had a wedding to go to this Summer and 2. wasn't 7 months pregnant!

What kind of styles and colours are you after? Something to wear with heels or flats?

KnockMeDown Thu 01-May-14 12:58:45

I spotted this one on that website - it is cotton, and a fuller skirt, so perhaps cooler?

KnockMeDown Thu 01-May-14 13:00:35

or this one? Even nicer!!

Rosa Thu 01-May-14 13:04:09

Have you tried Monsoon often they have natural fabrics?

MyRealNamesBernard Thu 01-May-14 13:06:12

So - style-wise, anything really - prom dress, tulip, long skater etc but no wiggle dresses as I have strange-shaped hips. Nothing short, either.

I will be wearing a heel - probably a heeled sandal because of the scorchio-ness of the temperature.

Colour-wise I suit (and love) pastels, mainly pinks or greens or peachy/neutral type colours.... Would rather avoid patterns unless subtle.

These dresses give you an idea of the sort of shape I am looking for..... just cannot buy them as they are polyester.

love the shape

and

love colour and style but not sure about the back

Nocomet Thu 01-May-14 13:09:35

I love this Fever

Glam would have to come from just the right, hat, jewellery, gold sandals and perhaps adding a silk sash with a bow and tails. Teal silk (satin) shouldn't be hard to get.

MyRealNamesBernard Thu 01-May-14 13:11:49

Thank you Knockmedown, I missed that one. Another beauty.... Sadly, it is over-budget.

JohnCusacksWife Thu 01-May-14 13:18:47

Do you like maxi dresses. Colour doesn't do much for me but if you like pastels it might suit you...

uk.monsoon.co.uk/1/1/38394-dresses-gloria-dress-grey.html

MyRealNamesBernard Thu 01-May-14 13:21:50

Nocomet - thank you! Sadly, it is not my colour. However, I have found about three other items on the website I would like to buy.....

...really need to pull myself together and concentrate on the Wedding Outfit Quest.

ZeroSomeGameThingy Thu 01-May-14 13:23:06

Aren't you being a little over cautious? The sales will happen long before August.

Why not simply identify some brands you think have the right sort of thing - and then stalk a few dresses? You'll get far more for your money come the end of June.

MyRealNamesBernard Thu 01-May-14 13:31:48

Zero, you are completely right! I am panicking because literally everyone else who is going has got their dresses/suits already, and they keep harassing me asking if I have got anything yet.

So, with that in mind, if anyone sees anything 100% silk which is OVER budget, I am definitely up for a bit of stalking.

MyRealNamesBernard Thu 01-May-14 13:34:51

BTW, thank you for all the responses and ideas. You have made this quest about a million times more fun thanks

ZeroSomeGameThingy Thu 01-May-14 13:45:16

...Also if you manage to save up a little by mid-summer you may even be able to get something from the new collections and put all your speedy friends to shame....

MarianForrester Thu 01-May-14 13:45:31

I searched for silk dress on Frasers site, worth a look. Some are out with your budget, but may be good to stalk..smile

There's this one that is in budget mint velvet

Warehouse also have a pretty silk sleeveless top warehouse

I'd go for a bit of a pattern whatever you choose: any unfortunate sweaty marks won't show up as much..

carrie74 Thu 01-May-14 13:49:01
LadyMud Thu 01-May-14 13:49:29

I don't think you'd go for blue, Bernard, but I noticed this lovely cotton dress in the BHS window yesterday. Quite a bargain at £45. (It might be the same dress mentioned on another thread a few days ago)

carrie74 Thu 01-May-14 13:50:06

Oops, think they may both be poly. Sorry.

carrie74 Thu 01-May-14 13:53:28
MarianForrester Thu 01-May-14 13:54:41

Ooh, I love that flamingo dress!

Nocomet Thu 01-May-14 14:03:03

It's a very bad website, I love the peacock dress and a couple of other blue ones and I have absolutely no events requiring a new £75 summer dress in my diary.

cowsarescary Thu 01-May-14 18:52:20
cowsarescary Thu 01-May-14 18:53:06

I'm an arse - they're too short ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now