My feet have 1.5 sizes difference between them - where and how do I shoe shop?

(20 Posts)
LittleMissDisorganized Sun 27-Apr-14 17:20:50

Following an accident and 4 lots of major orthopaedic surgery... I am amazingly lucky to still be able to walk. However the surgery has left me with one foot a size 5.5 and narrow and the other a size 7 and very wide.

I have trainers, a pair of black work shoes and a pair of winter boots that I manage ok in, ie. I don't fall over them, they don't rub, my bigger foot isn't too squashed. But looking for shoes is a nightmare. I end up feeling like I'm wearing clown shoes.

Is there anywhere that either sells different sizes separately, or does anyone have any other suggestions?? If I want to get dressed up, I inevitably end up with difficulty finding something to put on my feet that even approximately goes ok, and get rubbed, sore feet and end up with what I'm wearing dictated to by my shoes. Any experiences very much appreciated as I'm a bit frustrated (in between being grateful to be on my feet at all).

dexter73 Sun 27-Apr-14 17:59:29

Clarks do an Odd Shoe Service -

Odd Shoe Scheme
If you or your children have different sized feet, here at Clarks we can supply most of our shoes in odd sized pairs.

Instead of having to buy two pairs, you can have one pair to fit both feet. There's a surcharge for this service, 25% for children and 50% for adults on top of the usual shoe price.

It is recommended that both shoes should be tried on for suitability and advice taken from the staff before purchasing.

For further information please contact your local store or customer care on 08444 77 77 44.

emotionsecho Sun 27-Apr-14 18:08:39

Thanks for that information Dexter I have similar problems to the OP and have ended up buying two pairs of shoes in different sizes and ditching the "wrong" one of each pair but can only afford to do this with cheap shoes.

Like you OP what I wear is dictated by shoe availabilty and it is utterly disheartening.

LittleMissDisorganized Mon 28-Apr-14 11:43:05

Wow, thank you dexter, I should have been able to find that out for myself (google being my friend and all). Even 1.5 times the price is less than 2 pairs (well, obviously) to do what echo has had to do previously. Thank you for taking the time to reply!

mothermirth Mon 28-Apr-14 12:45:12

If you like 'earthy' footwear, this shop does fab made to measure shoes and boots smile

LittleMissDisorganized Mon 28-Apr-14 13:36:15

Ooh, mothermirth, d'you think my DH will agree that I neeeed some of those 'Grace' shoes? How lovely - and not as expensive as you'd think either.
I need to go to Clarks to get accurately measured first though....

mothermirth Mon 28-Apr-14 16:29:34

Yes, of course you need them. They are a bargain once you factor in how long they last: six years' almost daily use for my first pair. My second pair are lovely, too. They are the comfiest slippers boots ever. Essential for good health and happiness grin

mothermirth Mon 28-Apr-14 16:30:10

I want some brogues for summer, too smile

mothermirth Mon 28-Apr-14 16:30:42

need, I mean wink

Sleepthief Mon 28-Apr-14 17:19:12

Unless they changed drastically, you draw round your feet and send the drawing off for the Conker shoes - which are fabulous, by the way smile

Milmingebag Mon 28-Apr-14 21:54:47

Conker shoes are great. They don't look like fat clown shoes on either! I have the higher pull on boots with the vibram wedge which are very light and comfortable. To be frank with the sort of weather we get you could get boots for nearly all year round!

Re summer-how about some clog style shoes?If you buy a larger pair of crocs (they have loads of styles)you can wash and tumble dry the one you need smaller (they shrink) then mould it to your foot when still warm and it will permanently adapt to size ( wear socks).

BikeRunSki Mon 28-Apr-14 23:17:41

Conker shoes are amazing. Friend of mine had some that have had almost daily use for 28 years and still going strong.

BikeRunSki Mon 28-Apr-14 23:20:46

Is your foot size difference due to a higher/lower arches on your different feet OP? DH's feet are a size and a half bigger standing up than sitting down, due to high arches. He wears very supportive orthotics (Superfeet) to stop them collapsing when he stands up.

LittleMissDisorganized Tue 29-Apr-14 08:00:02

BikeRunSki The foot that's been operated on is almost completely paralysed but has been fixed in position by the one remaining tendon. So it has no arch sitting or standing. It was always a bit bigger but the fixing surgery brought it up and out and flat. I will ask the surgeon when I see her next week if something like that can be worn - as the position has taken many hours operating I don't want to compromise it.

Mi I didn't know that about crocs. I wear them inside and to go swimming and they've been such a revelation.

So much food for thought and ideas. A pair of those conker shoes sound like they'd do me for work and all smart occasions for the next 5 years - though the boots in purple look awesome too but my seniors would not be impressed grin

Blu Tue 29-Apr-14 08:13:26

DS has different sized feet due to orthopaedic issues, and it is indeed frustrating and expensive.

You could ask your consultant to refer you to the orthotics service and ask them about fillers, specially made toe fillers which could allow you to wear the same sized shoes, but that wouldn't work for sandal etc.

CurlsLDN Tue 29-Apr-14 08:25:42

For fancy occasion shoes, have a look at shoes of prey

https://www.shoesofprey.com/3d

I spent a looooong time thinking about having some made for my wedding. You can have whatever your heart desires, and they'll do you two different sizes for no extra cost!

From the FAQ - Absolutely! We're more than happy to make your shoes in two different sizes or widths. When you place your order, all you need to do is select your sizes for both feet. You also have the opportunity to leave us any other information about your feet that might be useful when hand-crafting your shoes.

YoniMatopoeia Tue 29-Apr-14 09:03:39

DS has a nearly 3 size difference. We shop at Clark's forschool shoes, and usually end up getting two pairs at sports direct for everything else (much as I hate that shop)

LittleMissDisorganized Wed 30-Apr-14 10:46:02

Curls they do look beautiful just playing with the webiste looks fun sadly I can't manage heels due to my left foot now being fixed. I will gaze at the flats though! Clarks sounds a popular bet, and I feel for these little ones - though I guess maybe you question it less when it's from childhood? If I sound whingy, I don't mean to - I am so grateful to be walking, and to be able to afford shoes when the ones I bought pre-surgery turn out not to fit again , life is good.

SophieB2016 Wed 20-Apr-16 12:02:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

bakewelltarte Wed 20-Apr-16 14:27:24

I have a 2 size difference between my right and left feet and the Clarks odd shoe scheme is great (often they will only charge the 25% for the second pair too)

However, Clarks don't always have the nicest shows so generally I just have to buy 2 pairs in other stores which is expensive but I buy good quality ones that will last xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now