Which dated items do you still wear?

(15 Posts)
Lookingforfocus Wed 23-Apr-14 23:03:51

I still love to wear boot-cut dark wash jeans. I suppose the fact that they are still attainable means they are not dated but I am just too in-and-out for skinny jeans while the above mentioned jeans I find flattering. In fact they are part of my everyday uniform of "clothes that work".

What are you still wearing even though the fashion pages tell you you're not supposed to be?

JuanPotatoTwo Wed 23-Apr-14 23:07:26

Pretty much everything I own smile

I have a dress that an ex bought me from Laura Ashley (I think) in May 1990. I wouldn't be seen dead out in it, but wear it round the house all the time when it's hot. It's comfortable, cool and stretched enough to accommodate four baby bumps.

FamiliesShareGerms Wed 23-Apr-14 23:09:35

Breton striped top (genuine one from Brittany). Bought it 20 years ago - it goes in and out of fashion, but I love it anyway

Ememem84 Wed 23-Apr-14 23:16:01

Denim shirt. I think they're back now. But I've had one for years (was my mums from 1977 - vintage Levi's). It's amazing. So soft. Fits beautifully.

Now they're in I wear it out but previously was an indoors only item.

Same as my guernsey. Indoors only. No need for heating in the winter. It's tropical in my jumper.

Robfordscrack Thu 24-Apr-14 00:32:28

skinny jeans - surely they are naff now?

BackforGood Thu 24-Apr-14 00:41:48

Like Juan - probably a considerable % of my wardrobe.
I wear what suits me and is comfortable rather than what some designer in the fashion industry deems to be 'fashionable' at any point.

DameDoom Thu 24-Apr-14 00:52:16

I have a fisherman's knit from Benetton that my mum bought for me, aged 13, in the early 80's - I still wear it religiously now. It is big and slouchy, has never bobbled or shown any signs of age or datedness and I am 42!
Does Benetton exist now?

SinglePringle Thu 24-Apr-14 07:09:59

I have a Guernsey that I've had since I was 20 (had them all through childhood too) that I still wear 20 years later.

Also, a pair of faded boot cut jeans (very slim in the thigh) from 7 For All Mankind that are slightly fraying on the hem. Worn with Converse and a simple t-shirt, they make me feel like an American kid from the 70's; like something from Charlie Brown or Sesame Street!

WholeLottaRosie Thu 24-Apr-14 09:19:01

Boot-cuts are the only jeans that suit me but I always go for the very slim kind with just the slightest flare. Skinnys look dreadful and I can wear straight trousers but not jeans. I don't care if they are dated or not, they make my legs and arse look great grin

JapaneseMargaret Thu 24-Apr-14 09:57:00

I have a dark blue chiffon shirt with a hummingbird print on it, that ties at that front - don't know if I'm describing it well, but they were everywhere 3-4 years ago. I love it, and will never throw it away.

I cannot bring myself to wear bootcuts, but I defend to the death other people's right to wear them.

SinglePringle Thu 24-Apr-14 10:02:10

I would never EVER wear boot cuts with anything other than sneakers (not trainers). Never heels and never ever boots! Mine are slightly too long, so I feel like Linus or something! Also, as I am slim hipped and slim / long legged, they are not for 'balancing' and look more like flares on me. Skirt addicted to skinnies and boyfriend!

LadyVetinari Thu 24-Apr-14 10:39:21

Denim jacket, bought in Mk1 for a primary school disco, back in 1999.

Black crochet cardigan, somewhat useful for rock gigs in overheated venues, bought in the same place at the same time.

All of my goth stuff from my teens in the early noughties... blush

murphys Thu 24-Apr-14 10:40:05

I have a pair of boots that I bought 23 years ago and I am still wearing! I think I must be close to breaking a record grin.

Oh and I only wear bootleg jeans too. No other styles suit me.

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 24-Apr-14 17:38:38

There is a very good reason that bootlegs were so popular, isn't there?

WitchWay Thu 24-Apr-14 18:25:12

I have a short, tight, black, high-waisted, denim skirt bought in 1986 from Dorothy Perkins. When it fades to grey I dye it black again. Great with thick tights & boots in the winter.

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now