What can I wear on my legs in the summer?

(13 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Wed 23-Apr-14 18:28:14

I've got quite a few dresses which I've been wearing with tights and boots in the winter, and I want to wear them in the summer too but

1. I have ezcema on my legs which looks really horrible
2. The dresses are short-ish and I wouldn't trust a gust of wind not to flash my knickers!

Are leggings ok with a dress?

tobybox Wed 23-Apr-14 18:30:27

It depends on the length of the dress - I can only wear leggings underneath a mid-thigh tunic-style dress, otherwise I look rather absurd.

How severe is the ezcema? I've got it mildly and Aveeno has been a godsend (as well as making my nails grow stupidly long and strong) smile

iwouldgoouttonight Wed 23-Apr-14 19:30:53

Yes that's what I was wondering, a couple of them are skater type dresses, they come down a bit more than mid thigh, but shorter than just above the knee IYSWIM.

The ezcema is quite bad, i've tried a couple of different steroid creams from the doctor, and i'm also using an emollient type thing, so i'm not sure if I can use anything else with that. It is getting better, not as itchy but just looks horrible.

No advice as I have the same issues, hope you don't mind me tagging along smile

GiveTwoSheets Wed 23-Apr-14 19:37:40

I always think 3/4 length black leggings look ok with dresses

NoGoodAtHousework Wed 23-Apr-14 19:39:34

I have a similar problem with what to wear with skirts as I don't really like my legs and have been wearing tights so not much help there.

However,(and I will be flamed for this!) have you tried using a sunbed to calm the flare up? As soon as it's all but gone you can try and continue with preventative measures (eg loads moisturising etc) as I find normal moisturisers don't do a jot when a flare up is bad. Sun is the only guaranteed 'cure' for me

roadwalker Wed 23-Apr-14 19:41:10

After years of eczema aveeno has been a revelation
It is keeping mine under control and I am not having to use steroid cream

Which type of aveeno do you use?

I too am an advocate of sunbeds, I wish I had the time to get on them still!

Hassled Wed 23-Apr-14 20:16:49

I have similar issues - I have good legs, in that they're the slimmest part of me and shapely, but I have blotches and veins and so they're seldom exposed to the world. I tend to go for the coloured 3/4 length leggings approach but a) it gets too hot and b) I fret that it does look a bit silly.

iwouldgoouttonight Wed 23-Apr-14 20:23:54

I haven't tried sun beds, mine does get a bit better in thur summer if I let the sun on my legs. Its a bit of a catch 22 because the sun improves it but I don't like getting my legs out!

Is there a particular type of aveeno you use?

iwouldgoouttonight Wed 23-Apr-14 20:25:17

What I probably need is slightly longer dresses/skirts but I can't really afford lots of new clothes!

MaryWestmacott Wed 23-Apr-14 20:27:31

Can you go the Kate Middleton approach and get some 'natural tan' tights?

tobybox Wed 23-Apr-14 20:34:47

Or nude tights! I wear them all the time for work. They would work for play too if you have decent shoes to go with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now