Do I want a Boden rainy day mac?

(23 Posts)
MaryWestmacott Wed 23-Apr-14 18:04:20

...and if so, in which colour?

I could do with a hooded rain coat that is actually waterproof - I need petite length which Boden do and their rainy day mac is in the catch of the day, but it's still quite pricy for a rain mac, any thoughts?

(and which colour - here's the options - I'm thinking either blue spot or the plain coal)

cakeymccakington Wed 23-Apr-14 18:08:03

Nah, they aren't actually waterproof.

RoseRadish Wed 23-Apr-14 18:10:21

I have the coal colour and I love it. Goes with anything which you don't get so much if you buy one of the printed ones. Really is warm and waterproof and the hood is designed to wear (i.e. not tight and uncomfortable like some). I see people around in the print ones though and they look nice too, apart from the really garish options.

If you don't want to pay loads it's always worth a look on ebay.

MaryWestmacott Wed 23-Apr-14 18:14:09

rose - do you have a fleese lined one or a normal one?

Cakey - can it cope with normal rain showers?

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 23-Apr-14 18:14:16

You do but wait for the sales. I got mine for £30.

flowery Wed 23-Apr-14 18:15:58

It copes with normal rain fine IME. I have a plain green one, which I much prefer to all the prints which are a bit I'M A BODEN MAC!!

OwlCapone Wed 23-Apr-14 18:16:04

Cakey - can it cope with normal rain showers?

No. It can only cope with a gentle dusting of angel tears on an otherwise sunny day.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 23-Apr-14 18:16:59

Mine copes with rain just fine!

flowery Wed 23-Apr-14 18:18:30

I got caught in a horrific heavy downpour in mine and my wrists got a bit damp, that was it.

MaryWestmacott Wed 23-Apr-14 18:18:48

seriously, £30???? I thought £89 was good... Hmm, shall hold out then...

MasqueradeWaltzer Wed 23-Apr-14 18:19:07

I've been wearing mine today and it's more than able to withstand pretty heavy rain. I mean, it's been pissing down all day and I've been out walking in it for about an hour, all told, and didn't get at all wet.

I've had it just over a year and I reckon it'll last a good few more.

Agree with RoseRadish about the hood, too - I've never got on with hoods, but this one stays up and is comfortable.

OwlCapone Wed 23-Apr-14 18:20:13

I got caught in a shower and it leaked all along the seams. Boden couldn't give a shit when I complained. Worst money I ever spent.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 23-Apr-14 18:26:05

Honestly I could believe it either!!

RoseRadish Wed 23-Apr-14 18:28:26

I have fleece lined, maybe they are better.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 23-Apr-14 18:28:43

*couldn't

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 23-Apr-14 18:29:04

Yep, mine is fleece.

RoseRadish Wed 23-Apr-14 18:39:50

Yes looking at your link it says "shower-resistant" - well-known euphemism for not being waterproof. So I'm thinking the summer version is a very different beast from the winter fleece-lined one. Which wasn't actually any more expensive. I wear my fleece one in spring and autumn and sometimes in the (Scottish) summer. Not in winter, it's not that warm. So maybe the fleecy one is a better option.

belleprof Wed 23-Apr-14 18:46:57

Hi I've a fleece one too , it's definitely waterproof. Also wind proof and really cosy! I love it but wish i had gone for a plain one rather than the admittedly muted print. Gets lots of compliments though. Not sure if the summer versions are waterproof.

MaryWestmacott Wed 23-Apr-14 19:46:34

Right, fleece one only, and in a plain style.

Thank you!

crashbangboom Wed 23-Apr-14 19:49:55

I'd look at sea salt one instead

Lagoonablue Wed 23-Apr-14 19:58:54

I have a fleece one. Not waterproof really.

I have a Sea salt mac which IS waterproof and which I loooove.

Elsiequadrille Wed 23-Apr-14 20:02:58

I have the fleece lined. It's coped just fine with fairly heavy showers.

MaryWestmacott Wed 23-Apr-14 20:10:22

Annoying, seasalt don't seem to do petite clothing.

I might wait a bit longer then and see if the Boden petite one goes in the sale. (don't they normally do the sales shortly after the catch of the days?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now