Flaking, splitting, easily snapped fingernails

(8 Posts)

My nails are a right state! They peel, flake, split and snap at the slightest touch. They are like this every winter.

I use Vaseline hand and nail cream constantly (at least 10 times a day) because this has always helped strengthen my nails. However, it doesn't seem to be working this year.

Any suggestions?

EasterSundaySimmons Wed 23-Apr-14 14:01:26

Did you see my thread on petroleum jelly/vaseline?

Apply a dot on each nail at bedtime and your nails will be transformed!

My nails are strong and flexible thanks to doing this.

I did see your thread and started doing this - remembering to do it at bedtime is proving to be a big problem.

Bed - pillow - asleep instantly at the moment!

Any daytime tips ideas?

EasterSundaySimmons Wed 23-Apr-14 14:28:17

What about rubbing it in after your shower in the morning?

I do it at bedtime as that's the time I spend doing beauty rituals, but I don't suppose it matters when you do it.

Good idea - I'll give it a go.

frogslegs35 Wed 23-Apr-14 16:50:53

Once you fix them use a paint or varnish to protect them.
I have to or mine flake again from washing dishes without gloves.
The best I've used is Sally Hansen Teflon tough - I got some last year in the £1 shop.

Have a tub of Vaseline by your bedside (ooh er) and some of those white cotton gloves if you're worried about it going on your sheets.

One of those buffer /smoother things in your pocket for if you have a couple of minutes, improves the blood supply to the nail bed

AWombWithoutARoof Wed 23-Apr-14 17:58:28

Nail oil is the way to go. I don't rate Vaseline hand cream at all, by the way, prefer the industrial strength lard that is Atrixo or Neutrogena.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now