Why does nothing fit??

(22 Posts)
MostlyCake Tue 22-Apr-14 08:34:32

Size 14 trousers generally are too tight on the belly but great on hips and thighs but while a 16 fits on the belly they flare out on the hips and sag at the bum.

I wear a 16 generally do I'm not cut in half but am resigned to looking crap as the excess material gathers and bunches up. I've got a saggy mum tum which all the excess material just emphasises.

Have I totally changed shape from an hour glass to an apple since giving birth or am i just trying on the wrong style trousers?

sassytheFIRST Tue 22-Apr-14 08:39:33

That's so interesting...as an hourglass I have the opposite problem. Hips and thighs often need a 14, waist def a 12. And I would say it has got worse recently ; ie that manufacturers are cutting more for apples than pears.

Maybe we need to swap notes on where we buy wink?

Skirts are easier too (unless pencil, obv).

I am an hourglass with a mum tum. So from the back I have a lovely waist. From the front I have a stretched out mum tum which adds at least two inches to my previous measurements.
I wear stretchy stuff and disguise tum the best I can. Stretchy jeggings from marks with a long blouse. High waisted boot cut jeans and belt.

ToysRLuv Tue 22-Apr-14 09:45:21

Sassy, I've got your problem. The waists seem to be ginormous on everything, while my thighs barely fit in at all confused (I measure 38 - 31.5 - 41.5)

I have found this goes for all the high street retailers. E.G.
Most recently, the Next relaxed skinnies were like that.

HandbagsandSnotrags Tue 22-Apr-14 09:48:28

Toysrluv - are you me? Pretty much my exact measurements!

All the advice is emphasise your waist but nothing fits my bloody waist so I have to cover with long tops etc to hide the gaping waistbands.

Shopping tomorrow, if I find anything good I'll let you know!

sassytheFIRST Tue 22-Apr-14 10:10:22

Haha, look at the moaning hourglasses here!

I'm 41-29-40. Exaggerated hourglass, apparently...

Sorry OP, doesn't help you, does it? I find Dorothy p, Next, most of debenhams and tesco all bad for apple-y trousers. Maybe these might work fir you?

ToysRLuv Tue 22-Apr-14 10:37:31

Haa, handbags, my twin! smile Are you also 5'7? I weigh 11 st 3 and usually wear a size 14, although sometimes it feels like I need a 16 for my thighs and a 12 for my waist.

Yes, let me know if you find something good. These days I tend to stick to vintagey stuff on e-bay - I'm fixated with the 80's and 90's now. I find late 80's/early 90's "mom" jeans tend to have a better fit for my waist (but, of course, sadly no stretch)

Sassy: Wow, you are a hardcore hour glass! I guess you mainly wear dresses?

FauxFox Tue 22-Apr-14 10:52:22

I'm 28" waist 40" hips and i got a reasonably good fit on Bennetton Jeans from TK Maxx in a 29" waist. TK Maxx is often good as you can try on loads of diff brands in one go to see which suit you.

HandbagsandSnotrags Tue 22-Apr-14 12:30:40

I think I might be your twin toysrluv - height and weight match too!

Will let you know how shopping goes. Sadly I seem to find things that fit don't necessarily flatter, or I just don't like them. Maybe you are right and vintage is the way to go...

ToysRLuv Tue 22-Apr-14 12:49:04

What a co-incidence! Just curious - what do you usually wear? For me it seems to now be usually mom jeans with long sleeved t-shirts (tucked in) and oversize cardies with Docs or canvas ballerinas. Have bought checked 90's style maxi dresses to wear with my oversize cardies for the summer.

HandbagsandSnotrags Tue 22-Apr-14 15:04:28

This winter mostly boyfriend jeans with ankle boots and shirt or long sleeve top or skinnies with biker boots and a massive oversize jumper.

Thing is recent sunshine has made me realise I lack anything for warmer weather - hence the shopping.

ToysRLuv Tue 22-Apr-14 15:22:17

Yes, I wear boyfriend jeans, as well. And, sometimes, skinnies.

I also have 100 denier black tights and leggings to wear with some denim and vintage style mini skirts. And some plain, striped and band t-shirts. Also bough a vintage 80's denim jacket which is a strange shape - huge on top and in the arms with a tiny waist - so not sure whether I will wear that.

MostlyCake Tue 22-Apr-14 17:13:50

All good tips! I don't really understand how my shape has changed, I think that's the main problem - I see myself as I remember not as I actually am so pick up stuff which hasn't a hope of fitting then I get upset and hacked off and go home in a bad mood or storm out of changing rooms when I persevere longer than I should

MostlyCake Tue 22-Apr-14 17:15:34

I hear you handbags, I've literally nothing to wear in the summer so we went to roll easter eggs and I was boiling in jeans and a shirt. All the photos are of me with a beetroot face...nice!

ToysRLuv Wed 23-Apr-14 09:06:28

Cakey, sorry for the hourglass derail smile Highstreet clothing doesn't really fit anyone, but, possibly, beanpoley people..

Where were you, if it was that hot on Easter? It was nice in Scotland, but def. not hot..

Wondering about getting some maxi skirts (have sturdy and scarred legs, so shorts would not be a good idea), but wonder if I will end up looking frumpy or like a hippie. Tube skirt would show lumps and bumps, but a full gypsy skirt might be matronly and unflattering, as well. Thought of getting a button up front denim maxi, but can't find a good one. OTOH I have bought lots of checked button up front maxis and ditsy mid length, or longer, tea dresses, so should be fine. No money for a trip anywhere hot this year.

ToysRLuv Wed 23-Apr-14 09:10:25

The checked maxis are maxi dresses, rather than skirts, should have said.. (urgh @ checked maxi skirt)

HandbagsandSnotrags Wed 23-Apr-14 22:03:57

Well today's shopping was a bust. Got some work trousers from Gap (slim crop) which are OK as have stretch and no sticky out pockets so can get away with a 12 on hips. Waist still a bit big though.

Saw nothing else I liked (apart from a silk shirt but lids would destroy it!).

Might do some online browsing as can't face another day trekking around shops.

HandbagsandSnotrags Wed 23-Apr-14 22:04:27

*Kids not lids!

ToysRLuv Thu 24-Apr-14 09:23:55

Yes, A silk shirt and kids don't go well together.. Do you find Gap is generally a good shape for us? Haven't been in years. I found some cigarette/carrot/tapered style summer weight trousers last year in Sweden, which I had forgotten about. One of them is a classic black, but the other pair is "2012ey aztec", so will be designated for the house and garden, methinks.

HandbagsandSnotrags Thu 24-Apr-14 21:31:08

I find Gap massively variable. I went in to get some replacement True straight jeans as I wore last pair to death. As they had been a squeeze, tried on size up which fell off me. So went back down to previous size and even they were quite loose!
Have also discovered the trousers I bought are a US 12, so UK 16! They are tighter on me than a UK14 I tried in a different style. Am telling myself they are wrongly labelled which will explain the random markdown (had handwritten tag with size & price which made them 30% off).

ToysRLuv Thu 24-Apr-14 22:25:34

Oh, goodness.. I hate that. I wish they were bloody consistent - at least within shops, so you could theoretically just walk in, choose your size and walk out, safe in the knowledge that I should fit.

I think I bought a Gap denim skirt which was massive, but a Gap denim dress was too small in the shoulders and ribcage..

HandbagsandSnotrags Fri 25-Apr-14 23:01:25

Its why I've stopped shopping online. Owning one item from a shop in a 14 which fits is no guarantee anything else from there in a 14 will but who wants to have to order 2 or 3 sizes just in case?

I think I'd buy more if it wasn't for the fact that I can only take 2 or 3 styles of clothing into a fitting room as need them in multiple sizes and suddenly I'm at the six item limit.

Best day shopping I ever had was with a personal shopper in john lewis. Bought loads but the fact I bought things from a 10 to a 14 and several items labelled small (which I am not) just shows how pointless the actual size labels are.

Maybe I need to learn to sew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now