What's your style & beauty "duh!" moment?

(62 Posts)
Poughle Mon 21-Apr-14 09:24:59

Everywhere I have lived, I've always been cold in the winter. I hate being cold!

It's finally clicked that LAYERS keep you warm. It's only taken me 3 and a half decades to figure this out. I am cold because I wear thin summer clothing with a jacket on top... Not going to cut it!!

I spent ages on pinterest and polyvore looking at how to layer, for some reason I just couldn't grasp it properly until I'd seen loads of examples. But I am proud to announce that I NOW GET IT and all the lovely basic long sleeve tshirts and loose fitting tops I ordered online arrived this afternoon! Several jumpers are on the way too!

This winter I will be warm for the fist time ever. And I will look good as well!!

CookieMonsterIsHot Mon 21-Apr-14 16:36:09

Good skin comes from within.

Sod the creams: drink water, sleep, eat right, exercise.

A horrible horrible truth hmm. I love bacon sarnies and late night wine drinking.

squoosh Mon 21-Apr-14 17:23:16

- tanned skin isn't the be all and end all. Better to enhance pale skin than to spend hours painting it orange

- polo necks do not flatter big boobs

- venture beyond black. red looks amazing on me.

- better to use cheap skin care products consistently than to use expensive products every so often

- a vegetable heavy diet is better than any face cream

- high heels, no matter how gorgeous, look crap if you're hobbling and moaning with the pain

- facial oil is amazing stuff. don't be scared of oil

- it doesn't matter if you don't have a natural eye for what goes with what, lots of people on pinterest do

- the pale of skin and pale of lip look much better with some lipstick on

MarshaBrady Mon 21-Apr-14 17:26:38

No layers in my hair, I'm going to mess it up anyway.

Buy stuff for the places I go to - top rule.

Check fabric before pressing buy.

Don't do the things I can't do - burgundy / wine looks gorgeous but not for a blonde.

Which face oils do you like, Squoosh? I want to up-grade from my Superdrug one but not spend a fortune.

My 'duh' moments -

It IS possible to wear lipstick without looking too made up

My hair looks better short

lavenderhoney Mon 21-Apr-14 17:42:35

Hands and feet always done, even if not painted nails.

Hair always nice and never look scruffy with horrible clothes! Throw them out! Its allowed to look ok to do anything.. Apart from painting.

That way, I always feel ready for anything. A dash of lipgloss and I can go anywheresmile

ginorwine Mon 21-Apr-14 18:06:30

Fab bra !

TheEmpress Mon 21-Apr-14 18:44:20

That the difference between people whose clothes look great and good quality compared to those whose clothes look cheap is probably down to ironing...

Doesn't make me want to iron, though...

balenciaga Mon 21-Apr-14 18:58:52

That my skin and hair has never looked better since using raw coconut oil

I cleanse with it, I moisturise (face AND body) with it, I put it in my baths, I use it as a hair treatment, I also eat it (a teaspoon a day)

I'm 34 and I just wish i'd discovered it earlier, esp as I've just had dc3 and did not get one stretchmark which I'm convinced is cos of the oil as I got loads with the other dcs.

QueenCadbury Mon 21-Apr-14 20:35:45

That I look better with bright pink lips rather than a natural coloured lipstick.

Buy clothes for the lifestyle I have.

Hopefully Mon 21-Apr-14 21:14:11

That anything too 'pretty' (full skirts, cleavage, floral prints, sparkle) looks shit on me - I am far better in 'edgy' (crap word, but ykwim) clothes like leather leggings, asymmetric dresses etc.

That there are many many colours that make me look slimmer, healthier, younger and more attractive, and black is very definitely not one of them.

Oh, and that thermals are your friend if you want to wear stylish clothes in winter.

TheJumped Mon 21-Apr-14 21:58:14

That buying repeated variations of the same thing is a good idea - not copying stylish people who have a totally different style to me. Takes discipline though.

Remus - Nuxe face oil is lovely and I think reduced at M and S atm.

Sicaq Mon 21-Apr-14 22:48:15

That long hair made me look older, not younger!

That fabric matters hugely. The polyamide jumper will stay in the drawer while the cashmere one gets worn and worn. The polyester scarf will always look not-quite-right compared to the silk one, and it's worth paying more for good tights.

Dilligufdarling Mon 21-Apr-14 23:01:00

Wear skin coloured underwear under white so it doesn't show up - not white!

Legologgo Tue 22-Apr-14 07:01:25

God yes. Why did we ever do white?

JingletsJangletsYellowBanglets Tue 22-Apr-14 07:14:12

1/ tailoring makes all the difference. Factor in hemming as part of the "can I afford it" question when buying trousers. If I ever see a 80-90% off ridiculous bargain in a large size, mentally try to calculate how much it would cost to tailor it. I own a beautiful linen coat that was once an xxl and a tenner, originally over 200 quid!)

2/ when buying shoes, factor in cost of putting on rubber soles. Makes the shoes last years and stops you buying "bargains" that aren't.

3/ observing women in high heels on the street- when you can't walk in them properly, it's not sexy/empowering/attractive. No matter how great the shoe might look.

PollyWhittaker Tue 22-Apr-14 07:27:02

That I am an inherently messy looking person with messy wavy hair and that since I accepted this and stopped trying to look well-groomed and sophisticated I have started getting lots of compliments.

Fedupnagging Tue 22-Apr-14 08:17:25

As Brian said up thread you actually have to 'do' your hair to make it look 'done'. Ghd's are my friend.

Also, just because it's fashionable, doesn't mean it looks good. I learnt that one years ago thank goodness!

Nocomet Tue 22-Apr-14 16:25:54

Lego we did white because tops were made of decent. White t-shirts weren't today's transparent tat.

Also nude underwear only works if it's seamless and a decent colour. In times gone by it was lumpy and a funny shade of peach.

squoosh Tue 22-Apr-14 16:33:46

Remus my favourite facial oil is Clarin's Blue Orchid Oil, not the cheapest but lasts for ages. Next I want to try is Kiehls Midnight Recovery Concentrate, even more expensive though.

At the cheaper end I quite liked the Boots Botanic's one and I've heard that the N-spa available in Asda is great for the price.

Thanks for the face oil recs. I can't justify Clarins right now, so will save that for my Christmas list and look at some of the cheaper ones.

Skinny jeans make my legs look like parsnips

A little bit of make up is pretty much essential if you want to feel good

Nobody else cares if you have a bit of a sticky out tummy or slightly wobbly arms - they really don't, they're too busy obsessing about their own 'faults'.

Legologgo Tue 22-Apr-14 18:38:03

I like face oil too. Have the ? Loreal one. Extraordinary or something

Best1sWest Tue 22-Apr-14 18:43:47

Another who has had the short hair looks better on me realisation.

Legologgo Tue 22-Apr-14 19:02:39

Me: hair never shorter than shoulders. Plus a fringe = murderer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now