Blinners and her workwear blog chatty thread

(1000 Posts)
Legologgo Thu 17-Apr-14 10:03:44

oi blinners -the Mango tabbed pencil skirt how stretchy is it? I like it TIGHT as have thin legs and otherwise look like I am wearing a lampshade

www.johnlewis.com/mango-tabbed-waist-pencil-skirt-natural-white/p1265275?imageCount=2

Legologgo Thu 17-Apr-14 20:30:32

i was disappointed last time I went in

There's a really good saying on The Corporette: know your work. Which just means, I think, that only you know what is going to be a good idea for you to wear to your particular work.

I've always worked in male dominated workplaces, so I personally wouldn't do floral or lace as, I think, instinctively, it makes me look too different to the men, whereas abstract prints and "sober" colours like neutrals aren't as contrasting to what they wear. Also, I think I have a paranoia of looking too "girly" / soft (maybe I am a sexist pig, with lipstick on). So, it's more than just my workplaces that made me dress conservatively, it's also about me.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 17-Apr-14 21:07:53

There are very few women in my workplace but its IT so they're pretty scruffy.

Oh, MrsCB, my memories of working in IT in Australia don't feature much fashion inspo (although my boss wore fierce Stuart Weitzman heels).

Oh, here is an off white skirt, that's lined. I haven't seen it in RL, but I have a H&M dress in the poly / viscose fabric that is quite thick and flattering. tablet.hm.com/gb/product/21006?article=21006-D

Legologgo Thu 17-Apr-14 21:20:48

Sniff. No one lolled at belmarsh?

I'm Australian, so I don't get it - will google.

Blondieminx Thu 17-Apr-14 21:28:56

Not all law firms are like Belmarsh...! I work for a City firm and see lots of great, colourful outfits! smile

Back to the H&M skirt, what do you think about it? I'm mainly anti poly but I tolerate a bit, from time to time, assuming the price is right.

lurkingaround Fri 18-Apr-14 09:40:01

grin Belmarsh!
I like it. Am going to try and go to H&M today, if I get a chance. Will have a search for the skirt. Does a polyester and cotton mix make a garment (sounds like a nanna word, garment) hold its shape better than cotton alone? Like in trousers or a skirt?
I like the pollen New Look skirt a lot. Wonder is it too busy for a pear.

Legologgo Fri 18-Apr-14 09:55:55

double take which h and m skirt?

Legologgo Fri 18-Apr-14 09:56:16

Oh I see. Ignore.

Legologgo Fri 18-Apr-14 09:57:49

Ooh I think looks promising. Spending too much on it is an invitation to stains. What we really need is the black gap pencil skirt in ecru

I find that cotton needs about 5% elastane for a good amount of stretch, allowing it to hold it's shape.

In the case of the H&M skirt, a bit of poly might benefit the viscose as, while viscose drapes well, it creases and loses it's shape badly (it's a week fibre, poly is strong). However, while poly is strong (you couldn't kill it with an axe), too much of it in a fabric can make it a bit nasty/shiny/crackly and not breathe well.

I struggle w fabric composition - as a little synthetic can improve a natural fibre, but too much and it lowers the quality of the fabric. Clear as mud?

I wish orangesanddemons was on this thread as she Really Knows Her Stuff re fabrics (is trained and worked as a designer, and now teaches textiles classes - think that's right). I'm a passionate amateur.

Legologgo Fri 18-Apr-14 10:27:05

agree re %

TheJumped Fri 18-Apr-14 10:54:39

Can you link your blog please Belinda?

I need inspiration for the summer - have lived in dresses all winter. Thinking Gap slim crops and simple but feminine tops. I bought this Monsoon top this morning, it's lovely but 100% viscose - better not die after a few washes.

I wear a black and white striped Whistles tube skirt to work a lot (teacher) but the idea of wearing white or ecru or mint green around board pens would be a recipe for disaster for me. I seem to attract every bit of dust and muck going, somehow.

Will happily wear animal print though.

lurkingaround Fri 18-Apr-14 11:21:10

Here is Belinda's site. Tis good.

Legologgo Fri 18-Apr-14 12:58:31

hmm - I don't use pens much.
If the skirt is cheap then - meh who cares

Nice blog, Belinda.

Thanks, ladies, that's really nice.

I assume that we all have a cost per wear / purchase price pain point, then? If something costs less than £X, you have different expectations re longevity etc, whereas for others, that cost needs to be less than £Y.

Re viscose tops, I've had some that are really good (seems to be the knitted, thick, fitted viscose), and others that turn into rags (seems to be the thinner woven viscose that does this). I have a woven viscose blouse, though, that still looks fine but is also going thin and probably won't last beyond this summer. It was £25, so I won't cry for it, but I think, now, I would rather pay a little more if it means it lasts longer and looks good for the whole of its life.

lurkingaround Fri 18-Apr-14 20:38:21

Hope this isn't a thick question, but would I recognise knitted from woven viscose? I probably would I suppose if I looked closely?
Sorry no report on H&M skirt, never got there, work got in the way.

Oh knitted is like jersey (stretch) and woven is like shirt material (non stretch). That's off the top of my slightly tipsy head. I tried the H&M skirt, only in grey, will find and post a pic.

lurkingaround Fri 18-Apr-14 21:14:23

Ah. Gotcha. I have one or two woven viscose tops, they're fine, like you say, won't last too many wears, I'll get a season out of them.

It is a bit annoying, though, isn't it - I don't want to have to bin clothes so quickly, just because they aren't durable enough to last a proper length of time. I am going to buy something from & Other Stories soon, and their things looks to be made from decent weight material, including their viscose, but the proof will be in the pudding wearing.

lurkingaround Fri 18-Apr-14 21:32:27

Agree, and I don't like the feel of viscose.
I have a few shoes (pairs of, not just the odd single shoe) from Other Stories and they're v good quality. Have no clothes yet. Really like their stuff.

This thread is not accepting new messages.