Alternative to black mascara..

(22 Posts)
MildredH Wed 16-Apr-14 00:15:17

I'm brown eyed with blonde ( very highlighted) hair.

On a recent thread someone mentioned Guerlain mascara in violet.. I've been into John Lewis for a look at it and blimey it's very purple! I'm looking for something that doesn't look very coloured when on ( bit racy for under-1's which is the social highlight of my week..) but gives me a lift.

So two questions; has anyone used this mascara? And/or secondly can anyone recommend an alternative to black for my colouring?

Am four months post having DD and feeling a bit bleh.. The glow I was lucky enough to have in pregnancy and for the first few months has definitely been replaced by sleep deprived, haggared look and I'm desperate for a quick fix pick me up!

Thanks x

ErrolTheDragonsEgg Wed 16-Apr-14 00:23:22

The most obvious for everyday would be a (darkish) brown - black is too harsh for most blondes. I've never tried any more exciting colours for mascara... personally prefer other forms of colour (blusher, lipgloss) for a lift.

RayPurchase Wed 16-Apr-14 00:26:58

Benefit do a plum coloured BadGal Lash.

GallstoneCowboy Wed 16-Apr-14 01:08:04

That BadGal plum mascara is awful. Smears and smudges like a bastard and because of the colour it looks like your eyes are bleeding.

RayPurchase Wed 16-Apr-14 09:12:21

Lol! I've never used it tbh...

AnotherSpinningFuckingRainbow Wed 16-Apr-14 09:15:51

Yesterday I bought Manga Eyes mascara by L'oreal in Violet and it is gorgeous. Makes my lashes look huge and is a lovely soft blackish purple.

Botanicbaby Wed 16-Apr-14 09:57:50

I think with brown eyes and blonde hair you'd suit a dark brown mascara as PP said.

Plum mascara brings out green eyes more.

You could try dark navy which doesn't look too 'coloured' on and this colour makes the whites of your eyes look clearer too.

Chanel do a range of mascara with different hues but still look quite dark/black if that makes sense. Think they have graphite which is less harsh than black, also I think a dark green.

Maybelline do a v.v.dark brown. No7 and max factor do a navy (or they used to).

I love a navy or plum mascara for summer (brown eyes) many years ago I had a dark moss green which was lovely.

I have a Barry M metallic plum that looks amazing with my eyes
But I found the Benefit Plum mascara (worn on my upper lashes) looked really nice but tended to leave colour under my eyes, even though I didn't use it there. Might try again with a top seal of clear

SavoyCarrot Wed 16-Apr-14 12:57:35

Cover Girl do coloured mascara for different colour eyes.

DenzelWashington Wed 16-Apr-14 12:58:41

Clinique Brown is great.

WheresRyder Wed 16-Apr-14 13:40:22

im fairly dark but still prefer a brown mascara to a black. I'd go with brown.

FarToGo Wed 16-Apr-14 20:47:56

I use Max Factor brightening mascara for green eyes (you obvs don't have to have green eyes!) It's dark brown with light reflecting bits, a lot less harsher than black.

MildredH Wed 16-Apr-14 22:36:46

Thanks all..

Still rather fancying the purple! Had another look at guerlain and still looks a bit day glo for me. Looked for Barry M but our Superdrug only does black in their mascaras.. ( as a TOTAL aside I used to serve Mr Barry M at the golf club I worked at as a teenage Saturday job.. Fat, balding dude- last person you'd ever expect to own a make up line..)

Also looked for the loreal manga one and it was sold out! So am on hunt for that one tomo..

In distraction ( so easy these days) I ventured into the hair aisle in Superdrug and have picked up one of these keratin sprays so am hoping will have swishy ( haha) hair too in addition to me purple peepers!

I am after a purple one too, gonna try this purple L'Oreal one oh and I did the same today, looked at keratin stuff instead after I saw an advert on the telly just before I went out smile

MildredH Thu 17-Apr-14 08:49:42

Daryl- I looked at that one.. It's a very dark purple.

Let me know how you get on. X

Fuckingforriner Thu 17-Apr-14 10:57:41

Try blue, it looks lovely with brown eyes.

InspirationFailed Thu 17-Apr-14 11:02:40

Could anyone recommend a colour to go with my eyes please - I bought a browny black colour but it's very dark and still looks to much.

Fuckingforriner Thu 17-Apr-14 11:19:08

Inspiration I think brown, black (not if you are blonde), plum and green would look nice on you.

InspirationFailed Thu 17-Apr-14 11:23:42

I have dark hair but pale skin and small eyes so I look like I've gone for the goth look when I wear black mascara - I like the sound of plum though, I think I will give that a go - thank you :-)

MildredH Thu 17-Apr-14 16:59:32

Update. Have bought loreal magma purple one. Will feedback..

jimmybim Thu 17-Apr-14 17:06:40

I have green eyes and also find black too harsh. I use YSL waterproof in no 3 Signature Violet which is not too bright

MildredH Wed 23-Apr-14 22:10:47

So- have been using the L'oreal Manga Violet mascara for almost a week now and am really pleased.

After a sketchy moment early one where DH stared at my eyes and asked why they were purple ( but in fairness I was sitting in direct sunlight in a bay window)..

Its definitely given my eyes a brighter appearance and is quite a nice mascara too. Goes on easily, doesn't smudge and comes off really easily at night too.

Would recommend.

( and for anyone interested- the keratin stuff- Tresemme one, on offer in super drug.. seems to have the desired effect. Felt quite gummy going on and made the hair feel quite "producty" but in the following days my hair was much asker to handle in the mornings and just felt less like the hair monster had visited overnight)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now