Is it ok to wear cropped white leggings with tunic wraps - for curvy figure.

(39 Posts)
andsmile Tue 15-Apr-14 16:02:22

I know this may not be 'the look' this summer for many people. But is it better for people like me (who have unattractive legs) to wear some of the brighter summer colours/floral tunics and dresses with 3/4 leggings in white or black rather than be restricted to

maxi dresses - which apparently can make people just look like huge tents but the work for me if they have a twist or rucking round middle area and dont flare out.

Parallel trousers - I have black, white and blue mix. I just need to match up t-shirts.

I have got my summer sandals sorted comfy, dressy and daytime which is the easy bit.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Wed 16-Apr-14 21:09:30

Calf length leggings are unflattering. Wear ankle length. And I can't see white leggings ever looking good if you are over a size 8. I wouldn't wear white leggings and I'm a size 16 with relatively slim legs.

Fairylea Wed 16-Apr-14 21:17:52

Personally I would never wear 3/4 length leggings or white leggings so both together would be an absolute nono... (I'm a size 16). I'd go for full length in a black or skinny jeans in a dark denim (new look high waisted ones are really good, sort of like leggings and not remotely see through).

I like the tunic and leggings look and I think it's very flattering on anyone irrelevant of size. Ballet flats or slip on trainers finish it off nicely depending on the style of tunic.

andsmile Fri 25-Apr-14 12:04:38

Ok thanks for all those replies.

masie I like the link about dressing for your body shape. Ive been much more mindful of this and have learnt to walk away no matter how much you like something if it doesnt look right or suit your lifestyle even then its best left.

fairy I have worn a linen dress above the knee with white leggings overwise im stuck in maxis or jeans ans floaty tops in the summer. Like I said in post I know its not a 'goto' look for the summer but is it the lesser of two evils in the hot weather...Im thinking of school run at 330 when it is blistering hot I just want to walk down comfy without looking a state.

Ehric its interesting because I think leggings (any colour) look dreadful on very skinny people as they look like and upside down 'U' but skinny sli person with ankle boots and skimmig tope that give shape to the figure look fine.

Im wondering if this is a case or practicallity over style? In this case they a mutally exclusive.

OR do I just do my legs <wobbles> I mean I dont know if they will look ok with stuff on them (I have a pale varicose) Ive never tried. It seems a lot of extra expense to be getting spray tans just so I can wear a coral lacey dress..

I should just shop for more maxis and naice earings n cardi combos <grimmace> how boring.

Gawd winter is so much easier.

I wear this tunic with white jeggings turned up to 7/8ths length, with sandals or blue plimsolls.

I think it looks ok, I'm a 14 top/12 bottom but my calves are big. The tunic is fairly long on me as I'm short. Am thinking of tumble drying it to shrink smile

I just think the jeggings are slightly smarter than leggings, tho I appreciate they will be warmer.

Brightoncheery Fri 25-Apr-14 13:03:34

Sorry, slight thread hijack but following on from this thread, can anyone recommend good black ankle length leggings to wear as discussed above, for someone who is around 5-7 relatively slim but with out of proportion very chunky shapeless calves? :-)

andsmile Fri 25-Apr-14 13:35:44

Daryl that tunic is right up my street, so on cooler days I would wear that type of outfit with tan leather boat shoes or pumps with a denim jacket and small crossover bag. Possibly a light cotton summer scarf depends on patterns. I like that sight.

I have just order two dresses. Im not sure of sizeing as never bought from this brand before. I am going to have a play around with them and see what suits. I like the mix of turquoise and navy in the one dress as can wear into Autum.

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Smash+Acantha+dress/193489684,default,pd.html

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Smash+Drucilla+dress/193488507,default,pd.html

Both are in sale costing £51 in total. If these dont work out I shall send them back and buy one that I really like. There is that allur eof throwing on a maxi not havin to worry about legs shaved etc.

I also found this which is very me:

www.bravissimo.com/pepperberry/products/dresses/day-dresses/oriental-floral-print-dress/cream-black/pd286cbc/?level=1

The above is pepperberry and is good for large Norkage.

brighton Ive always jut got my basics of leggings from M&S or Next and found them to be fine, probably M&S bit better. But why dont you try jeggings as many have suggested they are slightly more forgiving, Im a recent convert having bought my first pair.

TheRealMaryMillington Fri 25-Apr-14 20:58:40

Sorry - but that blue tunic with white leggings does not look good.

There are quite a lot of nice longer length skirts around at the mo that you can funk up with a sportier top and still more flattering than a maxi dress.

Jess Carter-morley has some more fashion forward advice….(though apparently if you want to be proper "fashion" a longer skirt under a tunic is the thing not sure this is advisable)

Sorry but I think absolutely 'No' to white leggings. I can't think of anything less likely to flatter legs, whatever size.

Swoopdewoop Fri 25-Apr-14 21:09:23

Personally I'm a fan of the leggings and tunic. Just adding my voice to drown out the naysayers.

andsmile Fri 25-Apr-14 21:53:57

I might just stick to black and navy then...

I might be a bit sweaty on some days or glide along tent like in my maxi and avert my eyes from the fatists

I might wear my wide leg trousers until October the 1st

<sigh> I hates this summer dressign business.

TheRealMaryMillington Fri 25-Apr-14 22:13:08

midi dresses

tunic/dresses with black or tonal leggings or jeggings, lightweight skinnies (mint velvet ones are good). don't limit yourself on shape though.

wide leg trousers are good (again not white)

a subtle, well-applied fake tan hides a multitude of sins

TheSparkling Fri 25-Apr-14 22:22:20

I feel your pain andsmile

Personally I think it matters more that you find garments that are the right length on you and that fit you well. I like the tunic/dress and leggings look (both calf and ankle length leggings) and I think it is a comfortable and cool look for hot days. I would be way to hot if I felt I had to wear denim or even jeggings.

Do stay away from white leggings though unless your tunic is white.

It is much harder to dress well in the summer I think.

TheSparkling Fri 25-Apr-14 22:23:46

And OP I am very similar height and size to you - just more apple shaped.

andsmile Fri 25-Apr-14 23:54:39

thanks sparkling I think I'll post some links and maybe some headless pics as I try to build a summer wardrobe.

Yes marymill Ive come across those midi dresses on some sites.

I do have 'true' summer clothes like white wide legs, short jersey dresses but they are holiday clothes only for beach etc.

Funny how we make this distinction isnt it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now