Bloody hell that hurts!

(29 Posts)
Zepherial Sat 12-Apr-14 15:50:27

Who the fuck invented the Epilator?

I brought one after reading reviews thinking I know best

Tried it out on my legs first, painful but bearable. Armpits, painful and for some reason they bled a bit. Bikini, what in the fucking gods name was I thinking?

I have brought loads of gadgets and beauty products on the say of strangers. Why oh why did I not listen to you on this?

Just to clarify this product was made by satan himself.
if you are thinking of buying one STEP AWAY!

NoGoatsToe Sat 12-Apr-14 16:16:18

I know you will think I'm off my head, but the more you do it, the less it hurts. First couple of times were agony but now I do it once a week - without the wee attachment that is meant to reduce the pain. Having said that I wouldn't go anywhere near my fanjo with it! Tops tips are: 2 paracetemol or neurofen half an hour before you start, the shorter the hair the less sore it is, do it after a bath or when you are warm, it seems less sore if I have been using moisturiser on my legs recently, though I put talc in my armpits before epilating and finally, never try it during first few days of your period of when pregnant... Hurts like a bastard if you do.

DidoTheDodo Sat 12-Apr-14 16:26:27

I can scarcely feel it on my legs now, and have even attempted bits of my face, but noooooo to armpits or fanjo region.

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Sat 12-Apr-14 16:39:13

It does get better. I still have to psyche myself up for the pits though.
Fanjo is a no go zone in many respects
I definitely think it's worth it - my leg hair is so much finer and sporadic now.

Zepherial Sat 12-Apr-14 16:55:30

So I must persevere with the bastard then?

I might try again on legs but it missed hairs and took ages to do.

I actually got it thinking I could save on waxing, specifically legs and bikini.

I did read up on here first, mumsnet being the font of all knowledge.

I showered and then used it on my short hairs, as I said legs was not too bad, if it had worked on pits then that would have been good.

Any pit tips.....

Won't ever let it near my bikini granny pants line again. Me thinks waxing is best for that hit and over a lot bloody quicker!

Zepherial Sat 12-Apr-14 16:57:26

Face!!

Sorry just saw that, you must be well hard. I have visions of it ripping my face off, especially as I caught it in my robe and saw what it did to that.

Ginformation Sat 12-Apr-14 17:01:06

Armpits are tricky as the hair grows in different directions unlike legs. I use mine on legs and bikini line (well hard me!)

DidoTheDodo Sat 12-Apr-14 17:03:15

Face is just to reduce the fluff, not remove every single hair. That would be too weird.

Zepherial Sat 12-Apr-14 17:06:00

Would it work if I used that numbing cream on my bikini line?

To be honest it was really awkward to do under arms. My husband laughed at my circus act whilst trying to manoeuvre into a good position whilst swearing at the dam thing.

My sister did say it hurt like fuck, I thought she was being a girl. I have given birth, what could possibly go wrong.........insert insane laugh.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 12-Apr-14 17:06:03

I got ingrown hairs using mine, I exfoliated and moisturised but I still got them.

I love my nair cream.

Zepherial Sat 12-Apr-14 17:08:05

Um fluff, what fluff, am I missing fluff on my face?

Goes to look for face fluff...

Zepherial Sat 12-Apr-14 17:09:35

Fluffy that brings back a very bad experience.

It involved fanjo, cream, burning and cold showers for a long time.

We don't talk about my burning fanjo.

ContinentalKat Sat 12-Apr-14 17:09:43

Bloody hell, epilators were invented for legs only! You must be mental to even think about other, more sensitive parts of your body <faints>

Zepherial Sat 12-Apr-14 17:12:00

Well continental it would seem the 'hard' people use it on other areas too.

DidoTheDodo Sat 12-Apr-14 17:12:15

Face fluff a symptom of advancing age. Wait a few years and you so probably get a nice crop too.

Zepherial Sat 12-Apr-14 17:13:51

How advancing? I am not a spring chook.

Zepherial Sat 12-Apr-14 17:16:08

Shit, something else to look forward to.

I only realised the other day I have stretch marks on my arse, I mean how do I get stretch marks on my arse for fucks sake. I am a size 10, with no real weight fluctuation, where did they bloody come from?

DidoTheDodo Sat 12-Apr-14 19:34:24

I'm a glorious 56! Most people think I look younger, so the fluff removal may be the key!

Skivvywoman Sat 12-Apr-14 19:38:35

Omg you ladies must be hard as nails!
I thought I was hard getting hollywoods and full leg waxes without flinching but the epilator omg that could reduce me to tears!

NorbertDentressangle Sat 12-Apr-14 19:40:05

I only use my epilator on my legs.

The first time I used it, it took 2 evenings and a substantial amount of wine to do my lower legs. Since then I can do it happily, pain-free.

As for anywhere else I did once try on my underarms but after about 2 hairs were ripped out I couldn't stand it any longer so have not tried again.

RhondaJean Sat 12-Apr-14 19:45:15

I have discovered that if you keep going for about 15 minutes you start to go numb and Thr sick feeling subsides. It must the the adrenaline kicking in.

It's a good option but bloody hell it really hurts. A lot.

Quejica Sat 12-Apr-14 19:48:53

Shave your armpits then gently run the epilator over them every couple of days. Don't go straight up the middle, nibble at the edges first.you really will get used to it but little and often is the key.

Or buy a Lumea and blitz the lot!

I've got a teeny mini epilator which I use under my arms. It is fine to use. I think because it works on a smaller area at a time, it isn't so intensely painful.

LadyMaryLikesCake Sat 12-Apr-14 19:59:34

You know your pores open up when you're hot? Try using it with a hot flannel, or when you've just got out of the bath wink

chipsandpeas Sat 12-Apr-14 20:04:03

take a couple of pain killers before eplilating.....or do what i do and have a bottle of wine or a few vodkas before doing it ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now