Please help me upgrade!

(19 Posts)

Getting on Pinterest is also a good idea if you aren't already, it's a great way to keep looks or items you like altogether and identify your style and whether an item you are considering will work with everything else. Most of us on mnv have boards for wardrobe/items being considered/looks we love. Wide range of shopping there too, from high st to Armani, come and chat smile.

Bombus Sat 05-Apr-14 19:10:48

Great stuff - thank you! I live near Bristol, so Bath and Cardiff are also within reach. It is all very new to me, so buying designer stuff seems far too extravagant, but something a bit more special than my usual haunts would be great. I think I will try a dept store stylist - my only worry with that is that presumably I will be limited to the clothes in store.

Seeing a dermatologist is a good idea - thanks. I am happy with my hair, but no harm in having a restyle - it's been the same for a few years and a change would be good.

I will look up the places suggested. Really grateful for all your ideas.

Just seen your post re price range, definitely look at the boutiques above-Anna has much more stock in store than online if you can get to a shop.

NormHonal Sat 05-Apr-14 18:41:49

Oh, and yes to getting your hair sorted, the right colour and cut will help no end.

NormHonal Sat 05-Apr-14 18:40:53

The good thing about a personal shopper/stylist, my friend says, is that they will make you try things on you would not have picked out for yourself.

Where are you in the country and what is your style? When you say you want to upgrade, how 'up' are you talking, there's a big difference between high end high st (Zadig, Maje, Joseph for example) and, Isabel Marant, or even Chanel/Celine etc smile.

Places like Anna and Question Air, Donna Ida are great for a good range of lovely stuff, premium denim, nice cashmere, scarves, shoes, jewellery, casual dresses etc. Less overwhelming than Selfridges and not as high end as Matches and Net-a-Porter. May be a good place to start. If it was me I'd shop mostly there and have the odd investment piece like a fab bag and gorgeous shoes from the likes of Valentino, Celine, Balenciaga etc.

santamarianovella Sat 05-Apr-14 18:40:29

I think,I will do a big shopping spree on bond street, chanel,bottega veneta,jewellery from cartier and bulgari, and a nice patek phillip watch too, then will check out the new celine store on mount street,and easily buy six bags,
Then I will fly to NYC,and get an appointment with the best dermatologist there,

If you tell us your budget, we could help with 'more realistic ideas, smile

NormHonal Sat 05-Apr-14 18:39:53

Don't go spending money on skincare until you've been to see a dermatologist.

Honestly, some of the best money I ever spent, and the products they recommended were very simple.

As for clothes, I have a friend with more money than me and she swears by going to a big department store and having a session with a personal shopper. She always looks really well put-together but doesn't buy tons of stuff.

Get your colours done, and some colour consultants also offer style consultations, I had one and found it really useful, it has certainly made shopping much easier.

DubBgoodToMe Sat 05-Apr-14 18:38:51

Highly jealous. I live at primark... wink

Bombus Sat 05-Apr-14 18:34:22

Thanks all. I was thinking about hiring a stylist but am usually quite good at finding things that suit me. However I would like to discover some new brands and shops that I've previously ignored due to budget. I'm trying to find a middle ground - I don't want to spend hundreds on a single item of clothing, but maybe £80-100 on a top instead of £20-40 for example. smile

whereisshe Sat 05-Apr-14 18:29:23

If I won a million pounds I'd hire a stylist.

DubBgoodToMe Sat 05-Apr-14 18:18:40

Congratulations!!!

My gran always said she looks so young because she puts Nivea on every night. I think it's the fat making her look wrinkle free

Go to a department store and ask. They'll love spending your money. Same for clothes grin

Floisme Sat 05-Apr-14 17:53:43

Congratulations, what a lovely thing to happen!

I would go and stay in a nice hotel in London for a few days and visit Selfridges, Liberty's, Harrods, Harvey Nicks - all the places where normally I look but don't touch.

I would shop at Me & Em, J Crew, Banana Republic - where normally I only ever buy in the sales. I might get a piece or two from Antrhopologie.

I would get some cashmere at Brora.

I'm pretty sceptical about expensive skincare products - just not convinced they're any better than the cheaper ones. But I would pay serious money for a great hairdresser.

I might have a colour and style diagnosis - undecided on that but, if I wasn't sure what suited me, I definitely would.

Enjoy!

Bombus Sat 05-Apr-14 17:46:36

Thanks Betty.

bettykt Sat 05-Apr-14 16:52:10

If I'd won a million pounds I'd go straight to Selfridges. Sure I could blow a million in their easily. Skincare, make-up, handbags, clothes and shoes. Many top end brands all under one roof.

Bombus Sat 05-Apr-14 15:46:06

I'd not heard of Matches - thanks, I'll have a look.

MarshaBrady Sat 05-Apr-14 15:39:46

If I won a million pounds I'd do a huge shop at Matches online, Net a Porter and the outnet for basics.

And for less than that, I'd go for a splurge on the outnet and do the sales.

Bombus Sat 05-Apr-14 15:37:48

please? thanks

Bombus Sat 05-Apr-14 14:42:46

Hi,
I recently have had a very lucky windfall and would like to spend some money on my skincare and clothes. I have no idea where to start, so would be grateful for any tips or advice.

Re: skincare. I am 36 with good skin, but slightly on the dry side. I'd love some recommendations for moisturizers, foundations etc that will make me look younger and radiant. I don't mind spending a fair whack.

Clothes: I usually shop at Warehouse, Urban Outfitters, but get the odd thing from Topshop, H&M etc. I'd like to find some similar styled clothes, but better quality if possible, but don't know where to start. Any recommendations?

How would you update your look if you'd just won a million pounds?? (This is not completely my situation, but I'd love to hear your thoughts).

Many thanks in advance
B

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now