What can I use to fix a piece back into my statement necklace?

(7 Posts)
StyleOverSubstance Fri 04-Apr-14 11:14:26

I have a Zara-like bib statement necklace and a piece has come out of one of the flowers. Fortunately, I have the piece as it came out at home, but if I put it back and just squeeze the little metal bits that hold the glass stone in place, I am not sure they will hold it securely and I don't want to take the chance of losing the piece when I am out and about.

Don't particularly want to use superglue as had a very nasty incident with the stuff last time as it glooped out of the tube and ended up everywhere, spoiled the bracelet I was trying to mend, but even worse, got all over my hands, so I spent the next couple of hours trying to get the bloody stuff off with hot water/salt and nail polish remover before I stuck to anything else!!! Seems to be ok if you use a brand new tube each time, but I think it had clogged the nozzle and blocked it so when I squeezed it gently, it removed the plug but also shot all over the place.

Any helpful replies gratefully accepted as I would like to wear necklace tonight when I go out. TIA

Namechangeforamo Fri 04-Apr-14 11:16:43

Squeeze the superglue onto a piece of card or something, then quickly use the tip of a pin to dab a small amount onto the bit you want to stick.

Swimmingwithsharks Fri 04-Apr-14 12:43:37

Or use epoxy glue, the sort you have to mix, apply, wait until tacky and stick together. Sounds a bit diddly and tiresome but prepare everything beforehand and be very careful.

ZacharyQuack Fri 04-Apr-14 12:59:43

I think epoxy glue would be better than superglue. Whichever glue you use, squirt out a little bit onto a piece of scrap cardboard, and use a toothpick to apply it.

Hebburnisaplaceonearth Fri 04-Apr-14 16:10:47

Bead/craft shops sell a glue called Gs hypo cement which is designed for the job

StyleOverSubstance Fri 04-Apr-14 16:31:45

Brilliant! many thanks for all the replies - much appreciated.

craftysewer Fri 04-Apr-14 21:54:45

Nail glue can also be useful for mending/glueing beads (and is usually a bit more controllable).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now