WRECKED hair

(20 Posts)
FrancesNiadova Tue 01-Apr-14 19:15:13

I've had 6 operations in the past 2 1/2 years & will be having another MAJOR operation at the end of this month.
I will be bed-bound, again, for the best part of 3 months. Whoopee!
Once I get up again, I find that my hair at the back, (that I lie on), is just wrecked. It is split, broken & is inches shorter than the rest of my hair.
I'm not going in until the end of this month.
Is there anything I can start doing now, as well as when I'm lying flat, (mumsnetting), to stop my hair from getting so badly damaged?
Please help, thanks. thanks

stonehairbrush Tue 01-Apr-14 19:24:35

I don't think you can do anything in advance, no, other than do usual conditioning and treatments.

I presume you can't sit up at all? When lying flat perhaps try moving your hair in different directions each day. So one day split down the middle like in bunches and brush to the sides. The next twirl it underneath your head in a 'bun'. The next brush it all up and flop it over your head onto your forehead... Might help with more even wear and tear.

Forgettable Tue 01-Apr-14 19:32:16

I would be inclined to get a pixie crop, would be easier to manage

Silk pillowcases too

FrancesNiadova Tue 01-Apr-14 19:35:51

I like the idea of silk pillowcases, operation or not!

crazykat Tue 01-Apr-14 19:38:29

Could you bunch your pillow up so its under your neck and have the back of your head resting lightly on the mattress so there's less pressure on the back of your head IYSWIM.

Forgettable Tue 01-Apr-14 19:40:53

Frances silk pillowcases are an extravagance, granted, but omg. Your skin will love you too.

Forgot to say Good luck my dear.

FrancesNiadova Tue 01-Apr-14 21:26:27

Thanks folks. I'll give all of these a go & hot oil it a couple of times before I go in.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 01-Apr-14 21:43:26

Gosh you poor thingsad

Spray in conditioner?

I definitely think a really good cut before going in.

Wishing you a speedy recoverythanks

FrancesNiadova Thu 03-Apr-14 13:30:30

Thanks, I might give spray in conditioner a go. Once I used the spray in shampoo, but it was horrid!
Forgettable, I've got some siphon silk left over, is that OK or does it have to be smooth silk?

FrancesNiadova Thu 03-Apr-14 13:31:30

Honestly, Dupion not siphon! Just lurve auto-correct!

Forgettable Thu 03-Apr-14 13:44:47

Hi there! I would be a bit wary of dupion, only because the slubbiness (is that a word???!!) might be uncomfy. In your position I would want smooth and non bumpy for the long lay.

Hmmm not v helpful really, sorry.

FrancesNiadova Fri 04-Apr-14 10:47:25

No, Forgettable, thanks, I'd never have thought of that.

Pumpkinette Fri 04-Apr-14 11:44:53

Pinapple your hair to the top of your head when you are lying down like this

Use a satin or silk pillowcase if you can. Cotton absorbes moisture and will make your hair dry out. Dry hair frizzed and breaks easily.

Pumpkinette Fri 04-Apr-14 11:46:09

*frizzes not frizzed

Is it long enough to plait? Might help to protect it a bit. Hope you recover quickly!

CarCiKoTab Fri 04-Apr-14 19:56:01

Try Moroccan Oil here's the link.

www.moroccanoil.com/united-kingdom/h_uk_en

They do a whole range of from shampoo's to finishing serums.

SuzanneSays Fri 04-Apr-14 21:47:53

seconding the silk pillowcase trick- know a few people who use one and don't have to wash their hair as often and wake up looking less dragged through a hedge than usual! Good luck with the op.

Scarletohello Fri 04-Apr-14 22:36:35

I recently bought some silk pillowcases on Amazon. Not too pricey!

BigPawsBrown Fri 04-Apr-14 23:15:54

I just spent ages googling Frances silk pillow cases then realised!!

FrancesNiadova Sun 06-Apr-14 16:05:12

Thanks, yes, I think I can justify the expense of a silk pillowcase all things considered. I'll also have a go at Moroccan oil too. I'll get some soft scrunchies to tie/plait it back, then it'll be wait & see! I'm on 3 weeks tomorrow. Got my final BC procedure on weds, but that's only a 1 day thing, then hopefully the op in 3 weeks will be the last one! Fingers & toes crossed!
Thanks for your advice thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now