Style blogs and freebies

(362 Posts)
FallonColby Thu 27-Mar-14 09:47:23

Is it just me or does anyone else get annoyed with the amount of freebies style bloggers get. For example, one blogger was berating the fact she had nothing to wear to an event, unsurprisingly she was then contacted by a company who gifted her a dress. I am sure this was not the bloggers intention but I am annoyed at seeing blogs I have previously enjoyed turn into a constant advert. It just takes the reality out of it.

peasandlove Tue 15-Apr-14 10:04:20

great thanks Jimmy

JimmyCorkhill Mon 14-Apr-14 19:36:00
WipsGlitter Sun 13-Apr-14 20:02:41

Have just read that one - what a load of tosh!

peasandlove Sun 13-Apr-14 07:39:36

they sent her a voucher to spend there so of course it was glowing. I'm sure she normally loves it just as much though wink

I haven't seen such a post, but Westfield is awesome. Most efficient, comfortable way to shop in real life. Of course, it has no soul. Sometimes, though, I just want to cover a lot of ground, while staying warm and dry and having access to a bathroom [nanna emoticon]

peasandlove Sun 13-Apr-14 00:36:50

I just read a blog post extolling the benefits of westfield. It was like a long winded advert. Wow.
amber what is your blog? Ive scrolled through the thread but cant seem to see it

CambridgeBlue Fri 11-Apr-14 13:05:18

I like the idea of a bomber jacket but not one that make me look like my Mum smile

Mignonette Fri 11-Apr-14 11:23:01

You might not have the six feet but you've got a rocking bod there Amber and there's always the beach/beach front. Those looks work well on holiday I think- the bright light and colours in hotter countries show it off well.

I think bombers are really tricky. I tried a really cool faux croc one on in TS the other day, but I had to wear an 8 to make it really fitted in order for it to look good, otherwise they can be bulky.

Especially as a sportswear brand! I do love the way they've styled it with the crop top, shorts and jacket all together but I don't have the body of a Brazilian model so I'll stick with this for now!!

Mignonette Fri 11-Apr-14 11:19:48

Cambs I am still carrying the mental scars of my first foray into Next all those years ago. In the first directory I ordered a Peau De Soie style peach jacket that both Yasmin's (Ghauri and Le Bon) were modelling.

On them it looked languidly Zelda. On me? Not so much. I looked like a fifth rate Tory councillor at party conference in it.

Mignonette Fri 11-Apr-14 11:17:05

That sounds so cool Amber. Getting on board with all things Brazilian is a good commercial decision I imagine. Will go have a look.

<isn't there something going on there soon>

No it's a collaboration with a Brazilian label called Farm who do awesome prints. There is another print in the collection which is loads of tiny Toucans which I think is awesome!

CambridgeBlue Fri 11-Apr-14 11:02:08

Update on the Next jacket all the bloggers were wearing the other day - I look crap in it! Feels really soft and comfy but makes me look frumpy and a size larger, probably due to the quilted jersey fabric. Going back.

Mignonette Fri 11-Apr-14 10:51:20

I liked your Adidas post today Amber. Was that a Stella design for them as she did the pineapple thing in an early collection? I have one of her pineapple vests.

I guess the beauty of it all is that there are so many blogs out there that there will be something to suit everyone smile

I think there are two main camps, those who want high-fashion, very aspirational blogs with breathtaking photography and those who really do just want something that will translate into their lifestyle neatly and don't really mind if it's snapped on an iPhone.

Mignonette Fri 11-Apr-14 10:26:26

Yes I have now unfollowed nearly all of them over the last few days.

I stick to Tales of Endearment now- Natalie Joos voice and taste is authentic, her fashion knowledge is vast and contacts impeccable.

I am not interested in reading all about the latest promo visit to whatever shop or a bloggers kids or home life. I don't want posts that are running commentaries of said visit to shop/promo interspersed with photos of items the PRs want us to buy.

I want location and a sense of location scouting and thought put into. I want writing that knows about fashion, understands history, reference and technique and assumes a level of knowledge in its readers. I want quirkiness in word and idea not writing that reads like copy from a shop website.

I'm sorry but I don't want to read about what Mum wore today to school/office etc. I guess that makes me not the demographic that most of the blogs on here are aimed at. I want imagination, fantasy and need to have my game raised not kept bumping along with the rest of the herd.

Does that make me sound snobby? Maybe. It isn't about the designer end though. Many of the writers I like mix vintage with closet shopping with High St with Designer. Many of them definitely have a life that doesn't revolve around shopping- indeed the best bloggers don't focus upon this at all. There is an absence of acquisitiveness and a spirit of pleasure and enjoyment in all aspects of art and culture of which fashion is one part.

foxysocks Fri 11-Apr-14 10:19:49

one blogger is now selling the seven boot lane boots she was presumably gifted...... for £90! cheeky. gone RIGHT down in my estimation.

StyleOverSubstance Fri 11-Apr-14 10:14:15

Why thank you, ladies.

Just shows though that blogs and that form of instant media are very fickle as people are very savvy and very aware of content. I suspect that quite a few who have become very successful may find that it is a short lived thing as they will lose followers as quickly as they gained them if the blog is perceived to lose its integrity and just become a form of selling.

I have noticed a huge amount of seven boot lane, next and boden being pushed on certain blogs and they are not brands I would particularly associate with that blogger - certainly not in the volume that the blogger is implying.

Not to mention the ebaying of the clothing that they supposedly couldn't do without, wore lots and recommended when it is listed as 'worn once or twice'.

One of the blogs I follow has recently changed its format as it has become more successful and now seems to be basically a shop with a couple of posts attached and the layout website itself is not particularly user friendly - very bitty and fragmented with lots of adverts dotted all over, so I have a feeling I wont be dipping into that one for much longer.

FallonColby Thu 10-Apr-14 09:01:01

Well said Styleoversubstance, I've found it interesting too, my friends don't read fashion blogs so it's been good to be able to discuss it with others.

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 09-Apr-14 21:27:39

Good summary styleoversubstance smile

StyleOverSubstance Wed 09-Apr-14 21:24:55

This has been an interesting thread, lots of people making the same sort of comments about not liking the obvious gifted items that a blogger is suddenly writing about - where it is a brand they have never previously looked at or a style that is not one usually associated with the majority of the posts. A lot of people like to see a variety of items on the same theme to compare, even if it is something that doesn't work for the blogger. Most readers don't seem to want too much information on the bloggers family (but then a lot of people read blogs as a form of escape from family life and have their own children anyway) but like a bit of the lifestyle info and will often choose a blogger who has a similar lifestyle/bodyshape to themselves.

Think most blogs have a limited life cycle, like a business, they have to keep growing and evolving to keep people interested. but there seems to come a point where the 'uniqueness' of it that first attracted readers is lost as it tips over from being a personal opinion to being influenced by 3rd parties interested in promoting their products as the blog becomes more successful and can attract revenue from advertising and the readers are very quick to spot it and will either stay with it or lose interest. The most consistently liked seem to be the ones which don't evolve into a business, but stay true to their roots as the blogger is free to follow their own tastes.

Have looked at some other blogs I hadn't previously known about and will now follow, thanks to comments about likes and dislikes of other posters.

CambridgeBlue Wed 09-Apr-14 18:23:41

Actually I have just ordered that jacket so Next giving away freebies may have worked in their favour! I saw it on SGS and thought it would fill a useful gap in my wardrobe - I need a jacket that's comfy and not too smart and it looked a good option although it may well be awful on.

princessdave Wed 09-Apr-14 17:45:41

School Gate Style, School Run Style, Poppy's Style, What Lizzy Loves, Avenue 57 & apologies to the 6th one, I forget.

SecretSquirrel13 Wed 09-Apr-14 17:27:30

Which blogs did it feature in? I haven't seen any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now