Style blogs and freebies

(362 Posts)
FallonColby Thu 27-Mar-14 09:47:23

Is it just me or does anyone else get annoyed with the amount of freebies style bloggers get. For example, one blogger was berating the fact she had nothing to wear to an event, unsurprisingly she was then contacted by a company who gifted her a dress. I am sure this was not the bloggers intention but I am annoyed at seeing blogs I have previously enjoyed turn into a constant advert. It just takes the reality out of it.

PeachandBlack Fri 28-Mar-14 08:57:01

Girl with curves is very pear shaped (and completely stunning!).

MrsReacher85 Fri 28-Mar-14 08:57:33

It primarily talks about American bloggers but there's a fashion blogger section on www.getoffmyinternets.net
It can be very bitchy but it really opened my eyes to a lot of these practices on blogs.
There are comments on larger British blogs too, although I don't think I've seen any on the ones mentioned.

JimmyCorkhill Fri 28-Mar-14 09:37:00

Ooh, AmberNectarine are you allowed to do a link to your blog?

Thanks PeachandBlack, I have bookmarked that blog. You're right, she is stunning!

princessdave Fri 28-Mar-14 10:21:24

I used to read a lot of US blogs but I've slowly started unfollowing them as each and every post was c/o this and c/o that. Often times the products being shilled were from brands that didn't even seem to fit with the bloggers aesthetic or they'd never mentioned that brand before. Then it just feels like they are doing it to get free stuff and you'll never, ever see them wear it again.

I too write a blog but because I also work and have a toddler it's a hobby and more about re-wearing things I already have then constantly buying new bits. I don't have an unlimited budget. I'm pregnant at the moment so trying to find ways to re-wear items and mix in a few (cheaper) maternity items.

So my bloglovin is a mix of US bloggers and UK bloggers but I do find myself rolling my eyes when post after post features c/o items. I like seeing what people are finding in the shops and how many times they re-wear it. I do find it shady when people don't openly state that something was c/o, it's confusing to readers. They might not think we care but I do personally and clearly others do as well!

Vickiyumyum Fri 28-Mar-14 10:48:07

im pretty sure amber is twentymumthing I could be wrong though.

I do still read schoolgate but have gone off it a bit as its not relevant to me, and dmbl40, her price levels have gone up a bit and usually not in my price range. Unfortunately despite working full time my household outgoings have gone up and so my play budget has gone down a lot.

I do like poppystyle, I know she can be a bit marmite, but for some reason I really like Joanna and her style, 100% not my style at all, but I like hats she brave enough to wear something different. SHe is well off though and does seem to have an unsponsored unlimited budget.

I used to read a lot of the plus size fashion blogs as I was plus sized but they are heavily into being sponsored and getting freebies, even blog posts about how unfair it is that one or two get all the freebies and they get nothing. also too many of them take the wear what you want motto a bit too far and outfits not really styled or given any thought as to how they look. I am fully aware as an ex fatty I sound like an ex smoker, but like to think that when I was fat I still dressed nicely and looked good.

santamarianovella Fri 28-Mar-14 10:50:10

I think if you want to make a career out of blogging then ads/ sponsors is the way to go,lots of bloggers re sell freebies,

Blogging is not what it used to be,its a completely different thing now, some media entrepreneurs invest in style blogs,they handpick the blogger,give her a lifestyle/direction to adopt and all the blogger has to do is pose,even the writing is taking care of, some of the biggest blogs in the uk are just like that,
The mummy blogs are now very big,lots of high street stores support them,its much cheaper than using an AD agency,

princessdave Fri 28-Mar-14 10:54:14

handpick the blogger,give her a lifestyle/direction to adopt and all the blogger has to do is pose,even the writing is taking care of, some of the biggest blogs in the uk are just like that

santamarianovella - like who? I honestly had no idea! Interesting.

JimmyCorkhill Fri 28-Mar-14 10:57:52

Thanks Vickiyumyum, that's the one!

Yep, that's me, chunky legs there in all their glory!

dexter73 Fri 28-Mar-14 11:09:29

Chunky legs? <Clips Amber round the earhole> You have a very nice figure!

JimmyCorkhill Fri 28-Mar-14 11:57:55

What dexter73 said grin

BTW I love the denim dress.

santamarianovella Fri 28-Mar-14 12:03:35

amber you don't have chunky legs!

princessdave some of them are in the uk top 50 bloggers, everything is paid for,travel,dining out,clothes...etc,its basically one big sponsored deal,nothing is genuine .

Its all about targeting a demographic,and understanding their taste and what appeals to them,social media in all its form is where the big £££ is at the moment,so people will take advantage of it,and compared to using an advertisement agency it really costs next to nothing.

I read that , vestiaire collective ,which is a high end reseller of luxury goods,sent numerous vouchers to bloggers and not just fashion bloggers but lifestyle ones too,some of them mentioned the vouchers,others cleverly stated that these vouchers were gifts from friends,or family for birthdays ..etc,genius,it got mega publicity and now its one of the biggest Resellers, once a well known blogger gushes about something it really sells,

princessdave Fri 28-Mar-14 12:17:44

thanks santamarianovella, the only one that springs to mind is the londoner who rarely discloses. Her GOMI thread is golden. I don't read her blog, not sure I read any of the top 50 UK bloggers to be honest. I'll google a list and have a peek!

[whispers] first blog that sprang to mind was The Londoner, too. Still, she's paying in other ways - friends and family feature heavily - I don't want my DCs all over the interwebs. All really fascinating re why we (I do) blog, why we read blogs, the tension between what bloggers want from it, what readers are looking for, how much of "yourself" you are willing to "sell", and whether what you gain is worth it. I am assuming that for lots of bloggers, their blog is an adjunct to their "career" ie WIT. I mean, how muh ££ would he get from that? Maybe not much, but it may elevate her stylist status/profile. For others, it may lead to a book deal etc.

I Absolutely agree re maintaining integrity on one's blog (I blog on AllWornOut) - it's your uSP v's magazines etc. also, those sponsorships, promos etc all take time.

princessdave Fri 28-Mar-14 13:23:08

I like WIT but cannot afford most of what she posts, I've never clicked any of her links so she's not earning any money from me in that sense. She's a lovely lady, I met her at the Boden press day last year. I'm sure her more affulent readers generate income for her from affiliate links though.

I've been asked to trial protein products aimed at runners (and also pregnant women more recently) and some beauty products but I don't feel that it fits with my readership so turned them down. Boden fits but I've never reached out to them via social media. Most of my readers are Boden fans looking for reviews, codes etc. They're working with a lot of bloggers in the UK and now in the US but not me (sadly) smile

CambridgeBlue Fri 28-Mar-14 13:38:14

Boden are a very good example of this - they've clearly cottoned on to the blog thing recently and must be pretty generous because they're getting mentioned everywhere, even by people who claim not to be their target audience.

One blogger who actually sells herself as not wearing 'fun' prints just because she's a Mum of a certain age (or something like that) has obviously seen them through fresh eyes now they're supplying freebies and another one seems to suddenly love them although the rest of the stuff she features tends to be much more high fashion and not at all Bodenesque.

Amazing what a free pair of Bistro Crops and a few glasses of bubbly at a press day can do!

MinesAPintOfTea Fri 28-Mar-14 13:45:37

Come over to the book-blog side! Its considered dishonest to not disclose when a publisher sends you an ARC (review copy) and given how often these are mentioned I'm fairly sure that its being done honestly.

But then reading a book takes more time than throwing on an outfit and doing a selfie so unless you're actually being paid, being given a free book to read isn't enough incentive to read one you wouldn't pay for.

princessdave Fri 28-Mar-14 13:49:29

ha ha yes I know the two you mean wink although they do tend to pick items that fit with what they already wear, skinny jeans for example, so still holding true to their aesthetic I would say.... The bubbly was very nice at press day!

It's the same with a few US blogs I read, never ever mentioned the brand before but now they've been gifted something the copy reads "I've never really considered Boden before but this seasons collection is so on point/on trend/pop of colour..." etc etc.

They sent me a scarf once, well the affiliate team did but it was a thankyou rather than a "shill this product". They are definitely guilty of seeing blogs as easy advertising/marketing and it seems going after younger bloggers in order to open themselves up to a new audience. Clearly it doesn't go unnoticed and loyal/potential customers (of any brand) are put off by it if the 2 pages in this thread are anything to go by.

Very interesting read, I agree with Belinda AWO.

FallonColby Fri 28-Mar-14 13:50:10

I think it is sad, though understandable from a financial point of view, that companies are using blogs in this way. I started reading blogs as they were a fresh alternative to magazines and I didn't have to wade through all the promotional crap. Now some read like a Red magazine fashion feature. On a side note has anyone ever noticed that Red magazine has a Breton top and a trench featured in every issue, they even wangle them in at the height of Winter.

CambridgeBlue Fri 28-Mar-14 13:56:39

I'd say that was Laura WIT's influence, they are 2 of her favourite items. Not sure how such classics sit alongside the Muppet fur stole and bonkers shoes she also likes but guess that's why she's a successful fashion editor and I'm not smile

FallonColby Fri 28-Mar-14 14:00:53

Yes she is fond of a Breton top isn't she, even though I could never afford her clothes I do give her credit for being original in what she wears and in that sense she does actually give inspiration, I enjoy her capsule wardrobe/classic staples posts and find them useful. That pink Jill Sander skirt was amazing.

CambridgeBlue Fri 28-Mar-14 14:02:57

I loved that skirt and she looked amazing in it but then she carries off most things as she's so stunning. A lot of her wardrobe is way too high fashion and pricey for me but I agree that she can be quite inspirational - I liked how she subtly changed her style when she had her little girl but still retained a sense of 'her'.

santamarianovella Fri 28-Mar-14 14:18:26

I like Laura ,so I forgive any product placements wink,

Boden and asos,are very into bloggers,I too don't believe in this sudden love for these two giants,specially by bloggers who are into high end stuff,

wools Fri 28-Mar-14 14:23:44

I have to agree with much of what's already been said. I really used to look forward to reading some of the blogs mentioned but tend to find them a bit meh these days. I still like WIT, All Worn Out, Susie So So and Cookies @ Candies - they all seem to be true to themselves.

CambridgeBlue Fri 28-Mar-14 15:03:28

Susie So So is my current favourite - she doesn't do anything wildly different but her style and shape/height are very similar to mine and I love her writing style. She seems genuinely nice (sure the others are too) and more realistic in terms of where she shops and how she reworks things she's worn before. I've not seen any mention of freebies so if she's getting them she's very subtle about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now