Spanx to wear under wedding dress- worth the money?!

(24 Posts)
amandine07 Thu 27-Mar-14 05:19:54

I'm getting married this summer and looking for ways of slimming down without going on some crazy crash diet!

Will be 6 months post partum by the time of the wedding, lost a lot of baby weight so far but still a good 6 kilos off my target normal weight.

Still have a bit of a tummy & accompanying wobble, only so much gym work will help- and I have no time nor inclination for that right now!

Is Spanx worth the money? How comfortable is it- I do not want to spend my wedding day hoiking up underwear or developing painful chafing!
Could I get something similar in good old M&S?!

Experiences & opinions please ladies! grin

NaiceAm Thu 27-Mar-14 05:33:22

I don't know about spanx but I have some M&S shapewear which I love. For my wedding the shop I bought my dress from recommended a rigby & pellet basque which worked really well and felt sexy too.

The most important thing is to try whatever you get under your dress as soon as possible in case it doesn't work under it. I hope you have an amazing day.

schmalex Thu 27-Mar-14 05:57:51

I really rate the Primark version of Spanx and they're dead cheap.

Floisme Thu 27-Mar-14 07:06:56

I buy Spanx in TK Maxx for between £7 and £12. I haven't seen any for a few weeks in my local branch but it's worth looking out for, if the wedding is still a few months off. I think it's fab though admittedly I haven't tried any other make.

randomfemale Thu 27-Mar-14 19:19:49

Spanx are fab and imo very comfortable. Never tried a cheaper brand but I do think they are worth the money smile

MsAspreyDiamonds Thu 27-Mar-14 19:34:29

www.jillianmichaels.com/fit/

I am trying the 30 day shred plus a pair of m&s shape wear pants for a big summer wedding. I am a size 8 but have a wobbly untoned tummy after 2 dc.

Innogen Thu 27-Mar-14 19:37:57

Seconding Primark spanx.

I have a very curvy bum and was in my gorgeous dress. Regular spanx were flattening my bum, ruining my shape. Primark stocked thong spanx.

Proper spanx are worth it IMO. Recommend the higher power ones that go from above knee to bra level. That way you get no roll down or bulges

onedev Thu 27-Mar-14 21:17:50

Completely agree with Statistically - definitely worth it & good to avoid any bulging!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Fri 28-Mar-14 08:09:19

surely you would prefer something sexier? I second the corset idea.

Deathwatchbeetle Fri 28-Mar-14 08:13:57

Deffo the corset thing. Wouldn't you rather have a sexy corset under your dress than Spanx???

A corset or body would be much nicer I feel.

DaddysBigTummy Fri 28-Mar-14 10:06:53

I've got the Spanx Higher Power Briefs and they are definitely the best shaping underwear I've got and I've got a few! I got them in size A because I wanted to make sure I was really held in in a tight dress I was wearing out. I would say they are worth the money if you want to feel and look slimmer.

MrsMarigold Fri 28-Mar-14 10:43:46

I agree with statisticallychallenged, plus spanx are all smooth. I wore on my wedding day and my ex-boyfriend said my arse looked amazingly toned. Maybe Pippa Middleton was wearing them - I've always wondered.

It depends on the dress too. I wore a proper steel boned corset under my dress but it was strapless with a big skirt so it worked for that. If it had been a straighter, slinkier dress it would have shown through

castlesintheair Fri 28-Mar-14 12:57:34

I agree the spanx that go up to your bra and down to above the knees are fantastic. I find it really comfortable to wear. I've also got a corset thingy from fig leaves I think which is good but digs in a bit if you are sitting down for a long time and eating a lot.

JustAboutAdeqeuate Fri 28-Mar-14 13:00:08

My top tip is to swap your 'photos' pants into small sexy pants just before the meal. Photos will be done, most guests too pissed to notice even the worst wobble, you'll be much more comfortable and able to enjoy your dinner, and won't be flashing the spanx come bed time smile

BetterWithCheese Fri 28-Mar-14 13:04:16

I wore Spanx under my wedding dress. They were great and didn't roll or anything. I couldn't wear the higher ones as my dress was cut lower at the back but even the waist high ones stayed put. I've tried other slimming/smoothing pants but they've always rolled down.

amandine07 Sat 29-Mar-14 04:42:17

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Yes I would like to look and feel slimmer- it's mainly the tummy area, luckily that's the only place I really put on weight during the pregnancy.

Higher power Spanx sound the way forward!
I will be willing to lose some sex appeal if the underwear does the job grin
Just the thought of all the photos being taken by everyone, from all angles- it's really just hit me that I'm going to need some help for the big day.

Do not want to feel self- conscious or overly preoccupied with how I think, yet I don't want to look back at photos cringing or wishing I'd made more of an effort weight-wise!

Need to get ordering a load of underwear to see which ones will work under my dress...wish me luck!!

Crutchlow35 Sat 29-Mar-14 08:24:30

The bra to knee spanx - do do you go to the loo? I presume it has a wee hole? The spanx I have don't and I had to get completely undressed to go to the toilet.

The higher power ones have a wee hole blush

onedev Sat 29-Mar-14 09:43:51

I take them off & on again - are you meant to wee through the hole?? How does wee not go on it?

Erm... It's a question of positioning. Legs apart and tilt pelvis under

amandine07 Sat 29-Mar-14 10:23:30

I will definitely need a wee hole! grin

Will be on the champagne & wine...will definitely not want to get undressed & dressed again each time!

onedev Sat 29-Mar-14 15:13:26

I've been wearing them for years & not using the wee hole - will have to practice at home I think!

All the best for your wedding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now