No clue what to buy - help!

(13 Posts)
Rockchick1984 Wed 26-Mar-14 22:44:08

Recently had DC2, and want to buy a few cheap clothes to tide me over while I lose the baby weight (have got about 2.5st to get to my pre-DC1 target so it'll take a while) however I can't afford a lot. Will get basics like a decent pair of jeans or 2, but feel totally out of touch with trends at the moment. What do I need to make wardrobe look current rather than dated?

Rockchick1984 Fri 28-Mar-14 09:13:36

Anyone???

frankietwospots Fri 28-Mar-14 09:25:39

Congrats on DC2!

What's in?

Pastel shades are really current
Sweatshirts - with wording on the front (not keen myself) or stripey (I live in my Boden one)
Lace
Denim shirts
Skater shoes

If any of the above appeal, I can give you some pointers but really it's more about what you feel comfortable in. A simple scarf, for example, can bring in the pastel shades.

frankietwospots Fri 28-Mar-14 09:29:01

Oh and polka dots too. I'm wearing this today with slim boyfriend jeans and it's gorgeous and 100% cotton: www.jackwills.com/en-gb/product/aldcliffe-crew-10000363104

bettykt Fri 28-Mar-14 09:52:38

Yellow is in if that's your colour and vintage t-shirts, I bought a yellow vintage t-shirt yesterday, nailed 2 trends in 1 grin
a bit like this but mine was 4 from Primark

I also bought a denim shirt, from Primark too and am planning to wear it with white jeans. I'm on the hunt for some white jeans (not skinny). I'm swapping my trusty converse for some New Balance 410a as soon as I can psyche myself up to part with the cash.

I wouldn't particularly say I'm on trend but I try to add bits to my wardrobe to remain a bit current.

Rockchick1984 Fri 28-Mar-14 11:58:48

Thank you, pastels I can manage, skater shoes and spots / stripes sound good too (not altogether obviously!!). What sort of lace things? Also, I wouldn't have the faintest idea what to wear with a denim shirt without looking like an 80's reject, I'm not generally trendy so friends would honestly think I'd just raided the back of my wardrobe grin and I'm too messy for white jeans.

Rockchick1984 Fri 28-Mar-14 12:00:04

Also, my tummy is currently far too big to wear anything that will emphasise it, I'm around a 12/14 at the moment but very apple shaped.

Skivvywoman Fri 28-Mar-14 12:13:09

Betty I seen those Teeshirts yesterday had loads of different colours in primark, can you let me know how they wash up please smile

Romcom Fri 28-Mar-14 19:37:10

How about a pair of black jeggings and a tube skirt?
I have the matalan jeggings, they are fab, elasticated, high waisted so hold it all in, v flattering too
these jeggings
this skirt
Also elasticated and flattering x

frankietwospots Fri 28-Mar-14 21:30:34

OK, some pointers:

Top Shop skater shoes - I have these in black and a deep burgundy: www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?searchTerm=vamp&storeId=12556&productId=13343499&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=&langId=-1&productIdentifier=product&catalogId=33057#BVRRWidgetID

The burgundy are much, much nicer than the black and I found them easily in my local store (but they are no longer online).

I have these leopard ones from Kurt Geiger and have worn them practically every (non-work) day since I bought them: www.kurtgeiger.com/laurel-multi-coloured-pony-41-carvela-kurt-geiger-shoe.html

You might find them in the House of Fraser brand event that they've got on at the moment.

For pastels, head to Gap. Loads of lovely stuff and they have their Spring Edit on so up to 30 - 50% off many items.

These khakis are so lovely in the dusky pink but I can't find the pink online sadly: www.gap.co.uk/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=000941851003

I have them in khaki and navy. Love 'em!

I've seen a lot of lace in the shops but I'm not necessarily endorsing it! It can feel a bit fussy for day I think, although I quite like this:
www.warehouse.co.uk/jacquard-lace-kimono-sleeve-jacket/lace/warehouse/fcp-product/4580001774

On the denim shirt front, I'm not personally keen on double denim and prefer to team mine with a skirt (tube skirt generally, see Matalan recommendation from Romcom above). But I think a denim shirt would look good with the Gap khakis above for example, plus leopard skater shoes (you get me? wink).

Rockchick1984 Sat 29-Mar-14 06:59:30

Thankyou, that's a big help! So would I wear the skater shoes with tube skirt or just with jeans/khakis? If the latter, what shoes with tube skirt? I'm liking the idea of denim shirt with a skirt, should hide the mummy tummy and easy access for breastfeeding!

Going on a mini shopping spree tomorrow, DH minding the kids so want to make sure I know exactly what I'm looking for smile

bettykt Sat 29-Mar-14 08:03:45

I wear my tube skirt with black leggings and black ankle boots. I'm also going to invest in a pair of pony hair skater shoes.

frankietwospots Sat 29-Mar-14 22:12:37

Hope you have a fun shopping spree! I wouldn't wear skater shoes with a tube skirt. I wear mine with opaque tights and brogues, but that is for an office environment. Skater shoes look fab with boyfriend jeans and khakis though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now