Any oldies gone from long to short hair and not regretted it?

(74 Posts)
IslaValargeone Wed 26-Mar-14 18:56:08

I'm in my 40's and have long straight hair with fringe.
I'm loathe to have it cut as I feel I'd be saying goodbye to my youth, fertility and sex goddessness.
That being said, my style is really doing me no favours as it's dragging down my increasingly sagging fizzog.
I feel I should liberate myself and go very short, I can't shake the urge, but after having long hair forever, I'm a scaredy cat.
Convince me, mature beauties.

GemmaTeller Thu 27-Mar-14 16:35:06

I've got highlights and lowlights in mine while my grey comes though (DH despairs at my hairdressers bills!)

I'm hoping for this colour and this is as short as I'm prepared to go:

Cocolepew Thu 27-Mar-14 16:56:06

I would like this colour, I have dark eyebrows still and I'm worried I'll look like Alistair Darling. I might need to grow my fringe to cover them grin

PinkPantherWafer Thu 27-Mar-14 17:11:04

Yes yes!

I had mine all cut off last week. It was past my shoulders with a blunt fringe.

It's so very short and I love it. Seconds to dry, no more hair dryer, straightness or endless products. A bit of wax and I'm good to go grin

YNK Thu 27-Mar-14 17:29:02

I had waist length straight hair until 50 (only a very few strands of grey, hardly noticeable). I felt I was too old to have long hair.
I eventually had a pixie cut. The hairdresser cut it in 2 sittings because they said it would be too big a shock to take it very short in one go.
I found it hard to get into the habit of going to the hairdresser though so now Im 56 it is shoulder blade length again!
I did try, and I liked it, but it feels like too much hassle to keep cutting! Also I needed to use a hairdryer to get it to sit right when it was short. Pain in the arse if you ask me!

sunshinemmum Thu 27-Mar-14 17:32:59

I wore it short through my twenties, various bobbed cuts through my thirties and had my last asymmetric short cut on my 40th. It was a disaster, as I have a double chin and jowels. I now have it layered and shoulder length.

sunshinemmum Thu 27-Mar-14 17:34:55

Gemma once mine is completely white I'd like that style as it is as short as I'd dare go.

Jbck Thu 27-Mar-14 17:38:07

coco I'dlove to see the other side of that 'do'. DD1 has similar but not quite as cute but its hard to envisage the other side, she has v long side fringe would like to see if it's the same.

KnockMeDown Thu 27-Mar-14 17:56:05

I'm 44, and definitely NOT an oldie wink so not sure if I can post, but have been going progressively shorted for a while, and it really suits me. Have just had it cut as in these pictures.

Disclaimer - I am in no way as attractive as the model grin

Shimmyshimmy Thu 27-Mar-14 18:00:50

Medusa I love that cut, I had it in my early 30's. Love Claire Underwood's hair. I now have an above chin length bob....long hair makes me look old and haggered.

Cocolepew Thu 27-Mar-14 18:09:23

Jbck I have that cut on my pinterest board but its the same side, I thought I had one from a different angle

Cocolepew Thu 27-Mar-14 18:12:18

I think these are a good cut to have if you're going short for the first time

I like that cut, might try that for myself. Who is it again?

Cocolepew Thu 27-Mar-14 18:31:59

Mine? The black and white one is Ginnifer Godwin

is it Ginnifer Goodwin?

x-post

Beamur Thu 27-Mar-14 18:37:04

I've gone from long, to shoulder length to jaw length, it's easy to look after and looks fresher. I've had lots of compliments too.

Eliza22 Fri 28-Mar-14 09:21:14

LOVE that Ginnifer "do".

pixiegumboot Fri 28-Mar-14 10:04:27

I've gone from shoulder length to crop, and am growing back again. Shorter much harder to look after, I feel like I have a birds nest on my head. Oh, and I'm sure I look like Shirley from EastEnders. Not a good look.

jaffacakesallround Fri 28-Mar-14 15:03:30

I have gone the other way from a short Princess Diana style in my 40s to longer ( think Twiggy) in my 50s and everyone says it looks much younger and nicer smile

I took the plunge today and got my hair cut so have gone shorter in stages

flipchart Wed 02-Apr-14 12:45:42

Do you like it one though? ilove

yes I like my new shorter style, I just have to get used to it though - keep fiddling with it!

FrugalFashionista Wed 02-Apr-14 14:04:13

Am in my early forties so do I qualify? Just went from shoulder length to much shorter and feel fresher and yonger and edgier than I have in years. Also find shorter hair much easier to style and my fine hair has definitely more volume!
Can recommend!

FrugalFashionista Wed 02-Apr-14 14:08:55

Sorry about typos - the last time I had a pixie cut was when I was six so maybe my spelling and proofreading skills are regressing to that level... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now