Am I silly to consider a wig?

(15 Posts)
MikeTheShite Wed 26-Mar-14 18:44:30

Okay here goes...
I'm 24 and after a bad breakup decided to chop all my hair and dye it from highlighted blonde shoulder length hair to a boxed brown pixie crop.
I'm now growing it out. I hate it, it makes me look fat. Its in awful condition, is so thick that it's growing outwards.
I am on medication for depression and the side effects make it flake constantly. Its noticeable.
The more I get upset the more i over style it and the worse it gets.
My confidence is beyond low, I used to look nice, and get compliments on my hair. I look in the mirror and just despair.
Am I being silly to consider a shoulder length brown wig in order to buy a bit of time in repairing, and growing mine and also for the sake of a little confidence
Hair isn't the key to happiness I know, and maybe its a first world problem but I look like I'm growing curtains circa 1997.shock

Valdeeves Wed 26-Mar-14 18:47:21

I'd get hair extensions if you have the money?

Why not, most wigs nowadays are really nice, although I think they can be quite pricey.

Could you visit a hairdresser and see what they suggest?

MikeTheShite Wed 26-Mar-14 18:48:29

I cant afford it sadly blush

MikeTheShite Wed 26-Mar-14 18:49:00

Thats a good idea holiday. I'm so embarrassed though

EyelinerQueen Wed 26-Mar-14 18:52:26

OP are you me?!

I buzzed my hair off 2 months ago after an awful bleaching disaster. I now have horrible short hair that is growing upwards a la Don King.

I am also 22 weeks pregnant and the two together have made me lose any and all confidence in my appearance.

DP wants to take me out for dinner and I won't go because I feel like getting glammed up is pointless when I have this horrible hair sad

Before, I had gorgeous long dark hair and was used to being admired. Now I feel like a fat invisible frump.

I bought a really good wig from Amazon but can't convince myself to wear it out in public. Even the best wigs are noticeably fake and I don't want people wondering why I'm wearing a wig.

Ah well only another 2 years or so till it grows to the length I want and I feel like 'me' again hmm.

wine for you. Lots and lots of wine.

MikeTheShite Wed 26-Mar-14 18:55:23

Eyeliner that's me! I can't even accept a online date as my pictures are instagramed so i quit trying tbh.
I really didn't think my hair could affect me so much.

There's no need to be embarrassed, I once highlighted my own hair after a few glasses of wine, I was told it looked as though a pigeon had pooped on my hair and once I decided to bleach my very dark brown hair to blonde. . . It didn't turn out well blush

You haven't lived if you haven't had at least one hair disaster wink

MikeTheShite Wed 26-Mar-14 18:58:53

Im sorry but that raised a much needed smile. Thank you

MaryWestmacott Wed 26-Mar-14 19:05:54

If you can find a nice wig, go for it. In my experience, even if people have noticed, they don't say anything. Most peoples hair grows about an inch a month, so a wig for now, a selection of sun hats for the summer - possibly scarf tied round, and by September you'll have an extra 5inches in length that'll weigh it down and make it all more manageable, if you resist temptation to cut. Lots of conditioner as well to tame it.

By Christmas, you'll be back with stylish hair. Good luck!

letsgetfreshbaby Wed 26-Mar-14 19:06:24

GO FOR IT!

Do not despar over hair.

I have done similar for different reasons and have several wigs. The trick is to go to a GOOD wig shop and try a few on. Some are more expensive than others particularly if you want lace etc (ie you want a long wig that you can put up into a updo). Do look for a root colour on wigs as it makes them that much more realistic. There are lots of different things though that can be cheaper.

For example you can buy fringes on a head band. Put on under a hat etc and tuck your hair in and you look totally different. You can buy wiglets that are basically long hair minus the top part again where under a hat of bandan and you have instant perfect long hair.

Fringe on a band youtube

other options

Different wigs on one person

This wigs are made by a french company I THINK from memory and they are much cheaper to buy in europe. Honestly just go and try and a few on what have you got to lose? If you hate them then you know wigs are not for you.

Life is far to short to be unhappy if you don�t need to be. All sorts of women where wigs for all sorts of reasons not just for hair loss, there is NO stigma attached to them anymore.

Don�t forget hats, scraves, turbans etc youtube has some fab demonstrations.

ChocolateSnowflakes Wed 26-Mar-14 19:08:40

Wigs are relatively easy to make, if you have the time or patience. A lot cheaper than buying them too! There are quite a few instruction videos on Youtube. I haven't tried making one myself yet but plan to, a friend of mine makes them quite often and unless you knew, you wouldn't be able to tell.

ItsSpringBaby Wed 26-Mar-14 19:09:00

I cut my hair off about 3 years ago after terrible DIY dye damage. I started wearing full lace wigs while it grew back, and if styled and coloured professionally they are barely detectable.

Many celebs wear them, Gwen Stefani, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce etc. to name only a few. They cost in the region of £200 so a bit pricey but mine lasted well over a year.

letsgetfreshbaby Wed 26-Mar-14 19:10:24

A GOOD wig is absolutely NOT noticable fake! BUT there are rules.

1) get a wig that suits you and your face shape
2) get it trimmed where needed
3) get a rooted colour or one with highlights and low lights.
4) get a colour that suits you or an out landish one if you want
5) people that don�t know your story will never know you are wearing a wig if you follows these rules. Friends will notice that you went from a nypmth cut to long trusses over night but they are friends so it doesn�t matter!

Honestly just have fun with wigs, there are some totally fab ones about and some rubbish ones.

Go and try a few on at a good wig shop and you will be surprised at what is avaliable these days.

MikeTheShite Wed 26-Mar-14 19:14:18

Thank you everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now