Shoes for dd to wear with orthotics

(16 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 26-Mar-14 14:35:42

Dd has pronation of her ankles and wears custom made orthotic inner soles in her shoes. It's fine in the winter, she's got school shoes, a pair of Ecco casual trainers/boots and a smarter pair of leather boots.

But I'm starting to think about the summer and what she could wear. In previous years she's worn sandals and ballet pumps. I think ballet pumps will be out as they offer no ankle support at all.

She can't do laces either so Converse and the like are out.

Any ideas? She's 11 btw.

starfishmummy Wed 26-Mar-14 14:43:55

We found taking ds to a local independent shoe shop was best. They sold various "main brands". Otherwise we would see what we could find in brantano. He had afos and usually it was a case of what we could get over them.

But ds wasn't bothered about what he wore and I am guessing an 11yo DD might be ;-)

KimSlazinger Wed 26-Mar-14 14:54:40

We use memo boots. Great sturdy ankles and they also do a variety of sandal versions

FauxFox Wed 26-Mar-14 14:58:04

laceless trainers (also come in flowery and leopard)

Dancergirl Wed 26-Mar-14 14:59:08

Yes she is bothered starfish I have actually found a very good independent shoe shop which we tend to use now, I just wanted to do a bit of research beforehand into possible brands.

Dancergirl Wed 26-Mar-14 15:01:07

Forgot to say her shoe size is only a 1.5/2 so probably too small for teen/adult shoes.

KimSlazinger Wed 26-Mar-14 15:01:26
FauxFox Wed 26-Mar-14 16:42:39

The ones I linked come in a 1 or 2 - they are in the teen section at New Look. Next kids dept also often have good velcro trainers.

Passthecake30 Wed 26-Mar-14 17:06:31

I wear orthotics and struggle a bit in the summer. ..sometimes I wear the trendy granny type shoes (ballet shoes with a strap), otherwise I go without. ..thou not for the full day, so if I wore flat sandals for work I'd wear converse or something the rest of the time (rather than slippers) to give a bit of support

spottymoo Wed 26-Mar-14 17:17:37

Dd has worn orthotics since she was 2 she still wears converse and she can't do laces so I buy the elastic laces off eBay that have the toggles on them and she's fine doing them.

I replaced all her trainers with these now.

spottymoo Wed 26-Mar-14 17:19:20

Dd is 12 by the way so totally understand how it matters what she wears.

spottymoo Wed 26-Mar-14 17:21:47

These are the ones I buy

Wurstwitch Wed 26-Mar-14 17:22:05

Skate shoes (any) with elastic or those squiggle laces.

Dd likes vans. They are quite roomy, so sometimes we don't even need to remove the insole (she's 11 this year).

She also wear keens with the same sort of thing. Not sure what sort of orthotics she has, but quite often you can get away with unsupportive shoes because the orthotics do the job, iykwim?

It might also be interesting that our orthotist recommends some time without supportive footwear, to strengthen muscles in stead of just supporting them the whole time.

Does she do ballet or trampoline? It's been brilliant here.

Dancergirl Wed 26-Mar-14 20:55:27

She's done ballet for years although not seriously. Tbh, if it wasn't for her ankles I think she'd give up. She likes other types of dance and would like to try tap but probably not good for her ankles...?

We also have a wobble board she uses plus exercises set by the physio.

Dancergirl Wed 26-Mar-14 20:55:51

Is trampolining good then?

Wurstwitch Wed 26-Mar-14 21:45:44

We found it really helped with strengthening ankles and balance - but all kids a re different, so it's horses for courses.

She failed abysmally at tap. grin she tried it for a term! and then said 'I really don't think this is working'. grin

Ballet is great thought, and she does a jazz class too.

I'm just lol at your username, now. I hadn't noticed, and here's me being all sage...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now