What can you wear over a black dress for a wedding?

(13 Posts)
MarysDressSways Tue 25-Mar-14 17:12:26

I'm going to a wedding on Saturday and have a black (silky) dress to wear for it, it has little straps. I can't afford another dress and all my other suitable dresses are a bit big for me as I'm losing weight.

What can I get to wear over it (for not much money, as I said, I don't want to spend much as I'm still losing weight!) which will make it more weddingy?

It has pale pink visible around the neck and hem line. I have a black shrug but then I'll look like I'm going to a funeral, not a wedding!

I'm size 18 and want something to cover upper arms and keep me a bit warmer! Any ideas? I'm not sure a pashmina would be warm enough.

QueenofallIsee Tue 25-Mar-14 19:46:33

I am also at a wedding on Sat and over my black dress I am wearing a little beaded cape that just covers my shoulders. Its HOF

QueenofallIsee Tue 25-Mar-14 19:53:46

Wouldn't it be funny if it was the same one

Gillybobs Tue 25-Mar-14 19:54:03

I got a little rose gold sequin cropped jacket from ebay recently for this very purpose, it was from Next, BNWT for 12 quid

MarysDressSways Tue 25-Mar-14 23:08:57

Thanks! I'll take a look at cropped jackets and in department stores. That's the sort of thing I need.

Queen, mine is a gay wedding smile

Walnut8 Wed 26-Mar-14 07:39:46

Wouldnt a pashmina be warmer than a cropped jacket? Love the idea of a rose gold sequin crop jacket tho!

Walnut8 Wed 26-Mar-14 07:40:38

id personally wear the black shrug btw and then get some beautiful heels and maybe a matching statement necklace in a metallic or vibrant colour. You will get more wear out of these.

MarysDressSways Wed 26-Mar-14 09:16:01

Very true walnut. I might stick with the black shrug. I've just been eying up some colouful heels too!

doublechocchip Wed 26-Mar-14 12:05:13

I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and someone had a black dress on with a pale peach draped blazer over it, was really nice as it lightened the whole outfit. I'd say you could also use a blush pink, just had a look at the H&M website and they have a couple of lovely ones in pinks/nudes which you get the use of again in the spring/summer over jeans and a nice top.

MarysDressSways Wed 26-Mar-14 16:54:33

Ooo I'll deffo drop into H&M and check those jackets out. There's a couple of nice ones there for not much money.
Thanks all!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Wed 26-Mar-14 17:36:06

I would go for a jacket and a pashmina in pink with pink shoes and bag.

MarysDressSways Fri 28-Mar-14 11:04:12

I went into H&M and although I liked the jackets, they looked a bit old for me on (I'm 32), I took a photo and showed my husband afterwards and he said "yeah that's a bit middle aged, think my mum has one like that". I think it's because I have massive boobs so don't have the required frame to carry them off so they look matronly.

I finally found a pale lilac shrug in TK Maxx though which goes really well. Hurrah!

Thanks all for the help.

Mrswellyboot Fri 28-Mar-14 11:13:26

Have a lovely day! smile

I always wear black or navy regardless of the function blush not great at other colours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now