What were you wearing in 1994?

(183 Posts)
vitaminC Wed 19-Mar-14 16:12:00

I've long had a theory that fashion follows a 20-year pattern and that has been well and truly proven seeing all the new collections just appearing. Some of the photos from the PFW are uncannily similar to things I owned back then! grin

In 1994, I was a postgrad student in Paris. I'd recently outgrown my grunge/raver phase and wore mostly midi-length flaired/pleated/tube skirts or culottes with soft sweaters and/or waistcoats. I still have (and have started to wear again) the brown high-heeled brogue ankle boots I bought that spring!

I also had a very lovely black and white kilt-style mini-skirt, which I wore loads with a black cropped jacket and a black bowler hat! I regret not having kept that skirt. It was lovely and would be perfect in 2014!

Another favourite outfit I seem to remember owning and wearing during that period (94-96) was a baby pink angora sweater with navy trousers and loafers and a pink patent doctor-style handbag. I still have the scarves I wore with that outfit, but not the other pieces, although some of the stuff in the shops right now looks almost identical!

So, where were you in 1994 and what were you wearing? Are you thinking of revisiting that look now? Maybe we can inspire each other and stay ahead of the curve with our inside knowledge wink

SoldeInvierno Fri 21-Mar-14 22:04:57

I was 24 and living in Hull. I wore long hippy skirts with bells at the waist. They made an awful rattle everytime I walked into a lecture theatre

Oh, I had a mini kilt too but I was a size 8 then, so it would possibly it round one thigh now.

In 1994 I started uni. I wore denim mini skirts, DMs, either big tshirts or cropped tops. Vest tops under denim shirts or checky shirts.

Velvet jackets, v- neck jumpers, small dresses with DMs for clubbing.

Gosh! Those were great days.

BopToTheTop Fri 21-Mar-14 21:16:06

I was a newborn so I guess a sleep suit of some sort grin

southeastastra Fri 21-Mar-14 21:12:57

i hated that period, my son was 1 and clothes were still really shit unless you had lots of money. i used to wear stiff jeans and shirts mostly. shitty time for fashion iirc.

Twinklestein Fri 21-Mar-14 21:05:14

Yeh to me DMs are 70s punk, with a mid 80s renaissance, and that was that. I never liked Indie which was just stuck in early 80s indie goth look and basically a hangover from punk lite. My first Adidas were in 1988 bless. Walk this way, talk this way...

nushcar Fri 21-Mar-14 13:59:25

I was at least a teenager, but long floral skirts, tops with giant hippy hearts on it, cropped tops and round sunglasses with green tinted lenses I seem to remember. Most stuff in the shops was grungy. I also had some shiny satin shirts with with chinese style necklines. They would be useful for fancy dress if I still had them!

Mandy2003 Fri 21-Mar-14 12:32:32

I bought my first DMs as a punk in 1976! My feet had grown a bit in the intervening 35 years and I sold them on eBay for more than I paid grin

Many of the coloured Levi 501s around in 1994 were overdyed in a colour weren't they? Camden Market <I'm looking at you> with your evil smelling, non-colourfast garments.

Alpacacino Fri 21-Mar-14 09:05:46

Levi's 501 in dark green, brogues and tent-like oversized jumpers to hide any signs of budding womanhood. Ace.

I seem to remember pink jeans and a flowery top wich I was probably wearing around that time.

vitaminC Fri 21-Mar-14 08:59:29

I know for me the indiekid phase ended sometime in 1994. That was also when all the boy bands started to become "rap" bands (haha, the 90s version of rap was hilarious, looking back!) and baggy trousers were at first a rebellious look before gradually becoming mainstream.

Boyfriend jeans in those days were exactly that - women wearing men's jeans, which have a much more straight up-and-down shape. After that came reaaaaaallllly wide pants and shoes with high platform soles hmm... and then bootlegs (which are everywhere, this spring!)

sunshinemmum Fri 21-Mar-14 08:21:53

Ah thought so!

Twinklestein - DM's were still very much the footwear of choice for the Indiekid crowd early nineties...till Oasis and New wave of new wave got its feet under the table and they were swapped for a lot of old school adidas for a short time <fondly remembers buying 70's adidas top in Amsterdam 'These Animal Men' style!>

Ellisisland Fri 21-Mar-14 08:13:12

School uniform ! grin

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Fri 21-Mar-14 08:12:47

Ok, I was 16 and in Australia! I remember wearing long floral skirt with cropped top and DMs (how very fashionable I was!) grin I also remember wearing baggy jeans a lot with t-shirts. Oh, and slip dresses with spaghetti straps!

ImAThrillseekerHoney Fri 21-Mar-14 08:11:35

DM changed the shape of their women's shoes in about 1994 so I haven't worn them since sad

I'm still wearing them now sunshine (and was then).

sunshinemmum Fri 21-Mar-14 08:06:27

Are DM's ever out of fashion? Have never owned a pair, but I love them on other people.

HemlockStarglimmer Fri 21-Mar-14 07:56:44

Before I read the thread I was going to say blowed if I can remember. But thank you all for jogging my memory.

Leggings, boots, very long baggy tops including chenille jumpers, long floaty skirts, wide floaty trousers, wedge heels.

In 1995 I lost 6 stone so started wearing jeans, little tops, shorts (eek), short skirts. But mostly I lived in jeans.

I have regained all the weight and some more but I still live in jeans.

Twinklestein Thu 20-Mar-14 23:47:45

Oh yes I remember the chunky loafers I had a great pair from Pied a Terre. I remember Palladium shoes, I had a pair in baby blue. Very like Converse, not very nice.

I'm amazed at all these people wearing DMs, to me they were in fashion between 1985 - 88. Then they were out and it was cowboy/biker boots for a while until the whole summer of love explosion with Timberlands and trainers.

winkywinkola Thu 20-Mar-14 22:06:44

Green or grey jeans. Lycra top. Chelsea boots. God how boring.

nannyplum75 Thu 20-Mar-14 21:59:00

I was 19 in 1994 so went from wearing grandad shirts, beads, velveteen blazers and DMs in sixth form to skinny ribs, jeans and Vans trainers in first year of uni.
What memories! This is my first post.....

GiniCooper Thu 20-Mar-14 21:57:24

Ah yes eastpoint I was singing along in my head all afternoon.
The DC's were not impressed with my moves though.

TheRaniOfYawn Thu 20-Mar-14 19:28:42

DMs, long skirts or dresses with victorian petticoat worn underneath, skinny rib tops or vaguely Edwardian or victorian style blouses, ankle length double breasted grey coat with military buttons, floppy vaguely Edwardian hats. Long scarves. Linen in summer.

I aimed to look either like Helena Bonham-Carter in a Merchant Ivory film only with more comfortable footwear or like a 1930s lesbian.

Melfish Thu 20-Mar-14 19:21:22

Ubiquitous DMs, tie die tassly tops and skirts, black holey (like big fishnet) jumper, cut off denims, band t-shirts and leggings. I was slim but looked hideous. Scarily I have seen some of these items for sale recently in Topshop, H&M and seen the teens out and about in them, albeit with better hair than we ever had. Bad frizzy hair may have been why those velvet hats were so popular.
The following year it all went a bit Britpop and it was adidas originals, tight tees and denim all the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now