What were you wearing in 1994?

(183 Posts)
vitaminC Wed 19-Mar-14 16:12:00

I've long had a theory that fashion follows a 20-year pattern and that has been well and truly proven seeing all the new collections just appearing. Some of the photos from the PFW are uncannily similar to things I owned back then! grin

In 1994, I was a postgrad student in Paris. I'd recently outgrown my grunge/raver phase and wore mostly midi-length flaired/pleated/tube skirts or culottes with soft sweaters and/or waistcoats. I still have (and have started to wear again) the brown high-heeled brogue ankle boots I bought that spring!

I also had a very lovely black and white kilt-style mini-skirt, which I wore loads with a black cropped jacket and a black bowler hat! I regret not having kept that skirt. It was lovely and would be perfect in 2014!

Another favourite outfit I seem to remember owning and wearing during that period (94-96) was a baby pink angora sweater with navy trousers and loafers and a pink patent doctor-style handbag. I still have the scarves I wore with that outfit, but not the other pieces, although some of the stuff in the shops right now looks almost identical!

So, where were you in 1994 and what were you wearing? Are you thinking of revisiting that look now? Maybe we can inspire each other and stay ahead of the curve with our inside knowledge wink

Mandy2003 Fri 21-Mar-14 12:32:32

I bought my first DMs as a punk in 1976! My feet had grown a bit in the intervening 35 years and I sold them on eBay for more than I paid grin

Many of the coloured Levi 501s around in 1994 were overdyed in a colour weren't they? Camden Market <I'm looking at you> with your evil smelling, non-colourfast garments.

nushcar Fri 21-Mar-14 13:59:25

I was at least a teenager, but long floral skirts, tops with giant hippy hearts on it, cropped tops and round sunglasses with green tinted lenses I seem to remember. Most stuff in the shops was grungy. I also had some shiny satin shirts with with chinese style necklines. They would be useful for fancy dress if I still had them!

Twinklestein Fri 21-Mar-14 21:05:14

Yeh to me DMs are 70s punk, with a mid 80s renaissance, and that was that. I never liked Indie which was just stuck in early 80s indie goth look and basically a hangover from punk lite. My first Adidas were in 1988 bless. Walk this way, talk this way...

southeastastra Fri 21-Mar-14 21:12:57

i hated that period, my son was 1 and clothes were still really shit unless you had lots of money. i used to wear stiff jeans and shirts mostly. shitty time for fashion iirc.

BopToTheTop Fri 21-Mar-14 21:16:06

I was a newborn so I guess a sleep suit of some sort grin

In 1994 I started uni. I wore denim mini skirts, DMs, either big tshirts or cropped tops. Vest tops under denim shirts or checky shirts.

Velvet jackets, v- neck jumpers, small dresses with DMs for clubbing.

Gosh! Those were great days.

Oh, I had a mini kilt too but I was a size 8 then, so it would possibly it round one thigh now.

SoldeInvierno Fri 21-Mar-14 22:04:57

I was 24 and living in Hull. I wore long hippy skirts with bells at the waist. They made an awful rattle everytime I walked into a lecture theatre

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now