What were you wearing in 1994?

(183 Posts)
vitaminC Wed 19-Mar-14 16:12:00

I've long had a theory that fashion follows a 20-year pattern and that has been well and truly proven seeing all the new collections just appearing. Some of the photos from the PFW are uncannily similar to things I owned back then! grin

In 1994, I was a postgrad student in Paris. I'd recently outgrown my grunge/raver phase and wore mostly midi-length flaired/pleated/tube skirts or culottes with soft sweaters and/or waistcoats. I still have (and have started to wear again) the brown high-heeled brogue ankle boots I bought that spring!

I also had a very lovely black and white kilt-style mini-skirt, which I wore loads with a black cropped jacket and a black bowler hat! I regret not having kept that skirt. It was lovely and would be perfect in 2014!

Another favourite outfit I seem to remember owning and wearing during that period (94-96) was a baby pink angora sweater with navy trousers and loafers and a pink patent doctor-style handbag. I still have the scarves I wore with that outfit, but not the other pieces, although some of the stuff in the shops right now looks almost identical!

So, where were you in 1994 and what were you wearing? Are you thinking of revisiting that look now? Maybe we can inspire each other and stay ahead of the curve with our inside knowledge wink

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 19-Mar-14 16:28:06

Blue suede DMs (6 hole).

vitaminC Wed 19-Mar-14 16:28:07

I've seen almost everything mentioned on this thread so far in the new season's collections shock

I guess this means we're getting old...

Bonsoir Wed 19-Mar-14 16:28:12

Oh - a white linen Emporio Armani trouser suit which I wore with a silk Gucci floral scarf <ouch>

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe Wed 19-Mar-14 16:29:39

Well for the first half I wore nothing and for the second half I wore babygros and little vests.

Now you have to decide if I spent 1994 as a baby or a failed naturist with no fashion sense

vitaminC Wed 19-Mar-14 16:29:55

I owned a white linen trouser suit too, but slightly later in the 1990s, I think!

vitaminC Wed 19-Mar-14 16:30:34

Mine was from Rodier, in the days before they only catered to grannies grin

vitaminC Wed 19-Mar-14 16:30:50

Lol Moomin

MarshaBrady Wed 19-Mar-14 16:31:11

I remember my friends wore trouser suits with the shirt collar folded over the suit collar. Usually purple and black. How bad is that.

I had a black trouser suit from Saba. I think I still have it in the wardrobe somewhere, the only one I ever bought.

I felt like a 'blonde in a suit' at meetings.

Babygro and my dinner, probably

x post moomin!

MarshaBrady Wed 19-Mar-14 16:32:15

That last one was around 1997/8.

CyberMuddle Wed 19-Mar-14 16:32:58

Fit 'n' flare floral dresses with spaghetti straps and a white t shirt underneath, or high-waisted jeans/floaty skirt with an embroidered waistcoat.

I was 13, and desperately trying to look older!

Longdistance Wed 19-Mar-14 16:33:47

Long flowery dress, that had a collar. Loved that dress, and pretty much lived in it. Also wore jodhpurs and boots in cold weather with a long jumper. Rarely wore jeans, and only have started wearing them since having dd's. My wardrobe is very boring really. I did used to work at Sainsbo's part time as a student, and used to wear that delightful beige/brown all in one dress. Very fetching it was.

vitaminC Wed 19-Mar-14 16:34:08

I had two trouser suits in 1994 - one navy, one beige. Both were mix/match - with trousers, skirt and shorts all matching the same jacket!

I also owned a grey suit with a cropped jacket and pleated knee-length skirt and a brown wool suit with a mid-calf length skirt (with a long front slit). All very similar to things I've spotted in this year's fashion weeks!

Stokey Wed 19-Mar-14 16:35:02

Another one for little colourful dresses and big DM boots with steel toecaps.
Interspersed with long flowing dresses - had a green suede long coat from Camden Market that I particularly loved.

I was at university in Scotland, suffering from hippy Gap year-itis, and froze

ArtexMonkey Wed 19-Mar-14 16:37:22

Dms/paraboots, fishnets, over knee socks, mary janes either with thick soles or high heels, converse, vans. Slip dresses, actual slips, 'vintage' dresses shortened, tartan mini skirts, band t shirts, dungarees with crop top or bra under, army trousers, kids' hair slides.

Still partial to a bit of vintage or a kilt or a pair of dms and converse; my paraboots were 3 sizes too big though so they got binned. Also i think if i tried to rock the 'riot grr/kinderwhore' look nowadays i'd look a bit Whatever Happened to baby jane. grin so best not really.

impty Wed 19-Mar-14 16:38:02

Vests - tight
Tight Cargo pants/ wide legged trousers/ flared jeans
Checked shirts
Platform boots or suede trainers
Puffa jackets

Midriff pretty much always on show....pigtails were acceptable

Plus glittery make up and sparkles at night

I was having a lovely time raving and partying...

Bonsoir Wed 19-Mar-14 16:38:45

Yes, I remember that look - white fitted shirt with collar outside the collar of your black/grey/navy work suit. So boring it made me feel suicidal.

nickEcave Wed 19-Mar-14 16:40:56

It was my second year at university and I guess my style was a mixture of grunge and hippy. Long swirly skirts with DMS or tiny flippy skirts with DMs or tight short lycra skirts with DMS. Lots of tight black tops but also quite a few oversize checked shirts and waistcoats
. And a hideous black fluffy coat from Camden Market which totally swamped my size 8 frame and made me look like a baby yak - but it was bloody cold in my student flat in Leeds with no central heating grin

Had a fab black and white check dress (tartan style check) with mini a line skirt and empire line top,with tie back waist.Wore it with either a white short sleeved ribbed crop top underneath,white tights and black with white stripes,laces,sole and heel,high rubber heel canvass shoes (remember them?) with the white rubber toe cap -kinda like heeled converse!

OR I covered it with a white chiffon blouse,covered by a cropped grey bicycle knit jumper,al la Cher style in Clueless!Teamed with black heeled dolly shoes.

Had a red tartan mini aswell,worn with black satin shirt/blouse.Satin was quite big then I think,or was that the following year??

Had a fab black velvet baker boy style hat too,worn with the above outfits and hair in pigtails!!!!

Oh and the obligatory short black strappy cami type dress over tight white tee.

I was 12/13 for the above!!!But fully grown at 13 so could get away with it (and into clubs....)

MrJollyLivesNextDoor Wed 19-Mar-14 16:45:57

OMG 1994 was 20 years ago sad

I was 24 then, so I must be ruddy ancient now shock

<opens gin>

<<swigs from bottle>>

sittingatmydeskagain Wed 19-Mar-14 16:45:58

Work was tight pencil skirts, shirts with wide collars over the jacket collar etc.

Play - think I was just coming out of a grungy student phase, and had a bit more cash. Tiny mini skirts and dresses, bit Brit Pop style.

Eastpoint Wed 19-Mar-14 16:48:51

I had some lovely Emporio Armani clothes white silk shorts, a beige silk wrap around skirt & vest top. Lots of Rifat Ozbek - white shoestring strap sundress & jacket I wore as a wedding dress, lovely Prada beige suede platform sandals, a couple of other Ozbek dresses. Long brown velvet Whistles strappy dress. Big Joseph knitted jumper. Work was more long Nicole Farhi skirts & suits.

PeachandBlack Wed 19-Mar-14 16:49:53

I was watching The Voice at the weekend loads of the girls were wearing chunky heeled loafers like I had in the early 90s.

In 1994 I wore slip dresses with a t shirt/body under, very short floral dresses, velvet shorts with black opaque tights and skater style dresses from Miss Selfridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now