Yellow does not work on White skin

(41 Posts)
babybarrister Tue 18-Mar-14 21:54:27

i have told DH that as he is White, albeit olivey, he cannot carry off yellow it looks great on darker skins but not on pasty skins...

Discuss!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 18-Mar-14 21:56:43

No

OhBuggerandArse Tue 18-Mar-14 21:57:35

Depends on the yellow.

KittieCat Tue 18-Mar-14 21:58:07

I love yellow but I look like I need to be in hospital when I've tried to wear it. Awful.

I've been tenacious, too, and tried multiple shades. They all make me look dreadful (some simply make me look a little less dreadful). It's a real shame.

CuntyBunty Tue 18-Mar-14 22:00:34

I know what you mean, but I want it to work. I've seen quite a bit of yellow round recently and I want to try it. I am pale, with auburn hair though...
Please do tell me how lovely I'd look in emerald green though. You'll only reinforce my aversion to it and make me not like you.

neolara Tue 18-Mar-14 22:00:41

A soft, strong yellow looks lovely on my four year old. On me, it looks like sick.

CuntyBunty Tue 18-Mar-14 22:01:11

Don't, not do.

trainersandaches Tue 18-Mar-14 22:03:32

I disagree, I wore a lemon top last week and genuinely had dozens of compliments - i think it depends on the yellow.

Quangle Tue 18-Mar-14 22:03:32

I look quite nice in yellow. And I look crap in almost everything. A sort of strong buttercup meets pale custard colour grin. I am fair and probably a summer colours person (grasps at technicalities)

I have pale skin, dark brown eyes and reddish brown hair. I was surprised to discover that strong, bright yellow suits me. So I disagree.

MadBusLady Tue 18-Mar-14 22:07:28

I disagree, it depends on the yellow, depends on the skin. Not really any such thing as a generic white skin, any more than a generic black skin. I can do mustards and golds, can't do primrose or primary school paint type yellows.

DramaAlpaca Tue 18-Mar-14 22:12:01

Agree that it depends on the yellow.

I have very fair skin & I can't wear strong yellows, mustards or golds. The only shade of yellow that I could wear (if I was inclined to, which I'm not) is the palest shade of primrose.

I think I have what might be described as muted summer colouring.

RayPurchase Tue 18-Mar-14 22:17:34

DH is very olive skinned and looks lush in pastel yellow and bright yellow.
I dont think I have ever worn yellow - I am pale and mega freckly with brown hair.

Financeprincess Tue 18-Mar-14 22:20:38

I looked heinous in every yellow garment I ever wore (dark hair, Daz blue white skin), especially pastels, until I tried on a sulphur-yellow top from Whistles a couple of years ago. It actually looks good. I don't know how.

Notcontent Tue 18-Mar-14 22:25:52

I disagree.
It depends on the shade.

FrankCarsonsDressingRoom Tue 18-Mar-14 22:44:24

I look great in yello, but it has to be a sunny lemony tone.
And I'm white...even fellow scots gasp in horror at my milk bottle legs

callamia Tue 18-Mar-14 22:51:33

I'm olive-ish (pale olive? Touch of jaundice?) with dark brown hair, and I love wearing yellow. My favourite shirt is a really rich dark yellow to wear with navy blue, or chartreuse, which I'm going to argue is more yellow than green.

TulipOHare Wed 19-Mar-14 00:30:56

Looks terrible on me (dark hair and eyes, pale but sallow skin) but looks fabulous on DD, who has similar colouring but slightly darker skin.

It is the only colour I've ever been really shocked at how bad it made me look.

cafecito Wed 19-Mar-14 00:44:17

icy lemon on an anne Hathaway type would work

cafecito Wed 19-Mar-14 00:47:36

my blonde fair child looks great in a bright yellow coat

I wore a sunflower yellow dress and it looked surprisingly nice with red lipstick (dark hair, green eyes)

but that was about 5years ago

in my current condition of very very pale never sees daylight but usually oliveish skin, no - would look dead

NormHonal Wed 19-Mar-14 00:48:20

All kinds of yellow looks awful on me (pale skin, dark hair). I've had my colours done and this was one of the most galling things I was told, as beforehand I had worn mustard-coloured clothes quite frequently. Ditto orange/ginger.

But no, it doesn't suit me. Looks great on darker skin tones.

TheZeeTeam Wed 19-Mar-14 00:49:29

I can't as it clashes with my pale skin tone and blonde hair. However, my kids all inherited their dad's easy tan skin and have white blonde hair and every single one of them looks great in yellow. I saw a lovely spring coat in yellow and I was genuinely gutted that my kids could rock it and I couldn't!

Floisme Wed 19-Mar-14 06:58:41

Pale skin, mousy hair. I think I look ok in mustard but don't much like it.
About 30 years ago I had a lemon coloured dress that looked great but I've never been able to find the shade since, despite trying on loads (beginning to think it was all a dream).
That's it.

ImAThrillseekerHoney Wed 19-Mar-14 07:01:27

As a general rule of thumb yes, but there are exceptions. I've got a great yellow skirt, but I wouldn't wear it next to my face.

Shimmyshimmy Wed 19-Mar-14 07:01:39

Disagree, I have pale skin, brown hair, I look great in yellow...not so much mustard, I look shit in charcoal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now