Eh? This isn't an interview outfit, is it?

(33 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 17-Mar-14 21:38:49
furlinedsheepskinjacket Mon 17-Mar-14 21:43:07

no not if you actually want to get the job

lemonlemon Mon 17-Mar-14 21:44:47

Not even that nice a skirt. Needs a jacket or cardigan to make it smarter. I don't think that article is going to solve anyone's wardrobe woes.

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 18-Mar-14 07:26:30

I agree.

So - what would we buy for a £30 interview outfit?

Kefybaby Tue 18-Mar-14 07:28:26

Borrow a suit from a friend and buy a nice top? smile

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 18-Mar-14 07:30:35

Starter for ten with money left for shoes and new tights

Lweji Tue 18-Mar-14 07:31:01

It depends on what you are interviewing for.

cheminotte Tue 18-Mar-14 07:31:31

I would concentrate on the top half as that's what the interviewer will see most when sat you are sat on the other side of a table to them, although the overall look needs to work to create a good first impression.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 18-Mar-14 09:03:07

I can't think of anything other than cleaning or perhaps childcare where the tshirt might be ok. And I'm in two minds about childcare...

Certainly not an office job. You play the game for those interviews, whatever the office dresscode is.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 18-Mar-14 09:05:43

Oh, selling icecreams at the beach. That's what the skirt makes me think of.

But not a barrista job, for instance.

CuntyBunty Tue 18-Mar-14 09:07:53

I agree, it's not, but all the dress convention makes my heart sink. I'd like to think that if I was the interviewer and the candidate was good, I could overlook it.
I am so over court shoes and matchy matchy navy blue skirt suits from Next. I don't think I'd ever want a job enough to wear the uniform.

You might wear it in the office in summer once you've got the job but... you have to get it first.
I for one can't stand to see an elasticated waist visible so am surprised there's no belt. The Guardian's fashion has always made me pull faces of horror and hilarity though.

CbeebiesIsMyLife Tue 18-Mar-14 11:51:20

She says she could afford a tie on £30! Tesco and asda sell them for less than £5. It would have come 1p under budget for the men's outfit.
As for the woman's, just awful. If you're looking for cheap interview wear either beg and borrow or stick to a basic black skirt and shirt. Both can be bought from primary and if only worn for interviews won't show signs of wear and tear etc.
Seriously they should let someone who actually has a clue about budget shopping do these features, not someone who regularly wears designer and thinks next is rock bottom prices angry

...oops didn't quite mean to rant there!

CbeebiesIsMyLife Tue 18-Mar-14 11:54:06

Sorry couldn't find a tie under budget

And both can be bought from primark.

The shirt doesn't have to be white either, a nice coloured work shirt with matching accessories would look professional.

BOFtastic Tue 18-Mar-14 12:06:01

This dress, with a charity shop cardi?

BOFtastic Tue 18-Mar-14 12:09:08

This is better,with sleeves, and it would cost two or three quid in a charity shop for a quality scarf. Shoes and tight cost buttons in matalan.

BOFtastic Tue 18-Mar-14 12:11:26

For ties, again, charity shops are the way to go.

That is such a rubbish article- its like they didn't even try.

OuterFromOutersville Tue 18-Mar-14 12:45:52

Excellent, I have an interview next week. Time to dig out my old t-shirts grin.

This could have been a really useful article, e.g. with three alternative looks for women and for men, including one or two where the person already had one or two suitable items (as most people would). Instead, it's ridiculous.

motherinferior Tue 18-Mar-14 12:51:12

This wouldn't be too bad, I think. There's also a pricier black shirt dress which is probably out of budget (£29.90) but would be a good interview investment...

motherinferior Tue 18-Mar-14 12:54:38

This could work too...

CbeebiesIsMyLife Tue 18-Mar-14 13:21:31

I agree bof, it's like the fashion editior said 'no, not possible' then realised with hours to go she actually had to come up with something so threw together that crap.

Charity shops, buying from local Facebook pages, any of the options linked here are all possibilities.

LaTrucha Tue 18-Mar-14 13:55:04

I was going to say Matalan. They have had some fab worky stuff very cheap.

ScarlettOHaraHamilton Tue 18-Mar-14 13:59:16

I knew it would be about this story grin

Nope, not at all. Anyone turned up to an interview with me dressed like that would have to work incredibly hard to impress me, plus I'd be worried about how they would dress for work if that was their interview outfit.

Matalan often does plain, shift, lined office pencil dresses for £20 - has loads at the moment, in fact. That and a brand new dark cardigan would be fine for the money.

salemsparklys Tue 18-Mar-14 14:19:47

That skirt is horrid! I would rather turn up in a bin bag than that!

DukeSilver Tue 18-Mar-14 14:32:22

I'm the scruffiest of the scruffy and even I think that is way to casual for an interview.

For my last interview I got a black knee length stretchy jersey fabric dress and a browny beige cardigan from H&M and a new pair of black pumps and black tights from Primark. I think it cost me about £25 in total and I got the job so it must have been okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now