What do you take your makeup off with?

(73 Posts)
hiddenhome Mon 17-Mar-14 16:55:05

I have been using makeup wipes, but they give you wrinkles, apparently, so I need something else.

I've tried OCM in the past, but need something that can be used daily.

Can't be: Expensive, strong smelling, contain alcohol, be difficult to find.

Any suggestions?

OkyDoke Mon 17-Mar-14 16:56:00

I use a camomile cleansing oil from the Body Shop. I ADORE it.

AtrociousCircumstance Mon 17-Mar-14 16:56:50

Peaches and clean by soap and glory.

Floisme Mon 17-Mar-14 16:58:35

I use oil and a hot flannel, usually almond oil but any will do. It's cheap, doesn't smell and (unlike most cleansers) doesn't irritate my skin.

ShakkaKhan Mon 17-Mar-14 16:59:40

I like the Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser. Bought some cheap dark flannels from eBay which I use for a couple of days before chucking in the wash.

Shosha1 Mon 17-Mar-14 17:01:12

Soap and water. Usually Pure and Simple soap.
Oh and a flannel.

LadyGooGoo Mon 17-Mar-14 17:02:07

A pillow

<<dirty bugger>>

hiddenhome Mon 17-Mar-14 17:03:27

Does soap remove makeup? I thought you were supposed to use lotion confused

KirstyJC Mon 17-Mar-14 17:03:29

A pillow also. And sometimes I rub my eyes a bit. And the shower the following morning gets any that is still there.

<<joins dirty bugger club>>

whereisshe Mon 17-Mar-14 17:05:39

Makeup is generally soluble in oil or alcohol or both. Hence as Floisme said any oil will do, and also why makeup wipes work (alcohol) but are bad for your skin (drying). I generally use Anita grant carrot and wheatgerm oil cleanser removed with a hot cloth.

Superdrug hot cloth cleanser and a flannel.

Ultrabland from Lush - get a small bit, rub it all over face including the eyes without being blinded, wash off with flannel and hot water. It's wonderful, even the most stubborn eye makeup comes off with it (UD 24/7 Liquid eyeliner, waterproof mascaras, the lot!).

Lush Ultrabland cleanser then removed with their Eau Roma toner (alcohol free)

noddyholder Mon 17-Mar-14 17:10:46

That fancy micellar water stuff Brilliant

TheBitterBoy Mon 17-Mar-14 17:11:01

Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser. It is ace and gets everything off, even waterproof mascara.

hiddenhome Mon 17-Mar-14 17:13:13

Thanks for all these suggestions smile

The wipes do irritate my skin. I only use them 'cos I'm lazy blush

Haahoooo Mon 17-Mar-14 17:13:38

Nivea cleanser and cotton wool. Cheap and effective.

Which micellar water Noddy? There was a thread last week about it and very mixed opinions, I've tried the LRP one and found it too drying around my eyes, it's been relegated to cleaning make-up brushes.

noddyholder Mon 17-Mar-14 17:17:07

garnier one from boots Its a fiver. My skin looks so much better since I have used it not sure why

SuzanneSays Mon 17-Mar-14 19:27:25

I buy a massive pot of 100% pure organic coconut oil for about a fiver, massage it in at night and clean off with a hot flannel. I don't wash my face in the morning (except to splash my face to wake up) after I heard it washes away the natural oils your skin produces over night. Good luck

MrsMeow Mon 17-Mar-14 19:30:46

L'Oreal 15 second cleansing oil, absolutely amazing. Removes every last bit of makeup. My skin is looking fab after only 2 weeks use smile

SinglePringle Mon 17-Mar-14 19:32:01

Nivea Eye Make Up Remover
La Roche Posay Micellar stuff
Eve Lom Cleanse and Polish
La Roche Posay toner

QuiteQuietly Mon 17-Mar-14 19:32:29

SuzanneSays Where do you get your coconut oil from? I've been tempted to try this for a while.

hiddenhome Mon 17-Mar-14 19:36:01

<Likes the sound of L'Oreal cleansing oil>

I have some L'Oreal toner stuff and it's lovely.

Pollywallywinkles Mon 17-Mar-14 19:36:23

Not wipes!

Either olive oil, cleanser (Liz Earle at the moment), or micellar water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now