key pieces for older ones amongst us, best styles for the over 40's please

(16 Posts)
2fedup Sun 16-Mar-14 17:27:13

Having got some money to spend, and reading the mumsy thread, I've realised I haven't got a clue.
So what do the stylish ones amongst you wear? Particularly if you are curvy.

Chottie Sun 16-Mar-14 17:48:24

Have you thought about going to somewhere like JL and having a session with personal shopper. I know several people who have done this and found it really useful. You do not have to buy all the clothes and there is no pressure at all.

You will get a good idea about what colours and shapes suit you.

2fedup Mon 17-Mar-14 07:11:49

I've done that in the past and most of the pieces she brought were either too formal or very patterned and quite frumpy. So I only ended up with a black top and a pair of straight leg jeans. Nothing very cutting edge.

Floisme Mon 17-Mar-14 07:20:33

I would start by working out your bpdy shape - that's way more important than your age. Once you know that, there are loads of features in magasines and on the internet that can help. And don't worry about it; fashion is supposed to be fun smile

noddyholder Mon 17-Mar-14 07:50:31

Try on lots of stuff you already have and find your shape. No matter how tempted don't deviate from the silhouette that flatters you.

KristinaM Mon 17-Mar-14 08:57:07

My only piece of advice is to stop thing of yourself as an " older one " .

I am in my 50s and am mortally offended at the suggestion that I might be old. Sorry must dash, off for a 13 mile run

Millyblods Mon 17-Mar-14 09:03:54

I find Pinterest good for finding ideas and pinning them to my board. Then assessing what it is I like about them, writing down items and going to shops to try on. I hate patterns or flowery prints for clothes so I go for basic colours that suit me.

polyhymnia Mon 17-Mar-14 10:00:37

Agree that you shouldn't define yourself by age but by what suits you - stop thinking of dressing as an 'over 40'.

In any case, I too am very amused by suggestion that 40 is old. I'm a lot older than that but don't think I have to have a 'special' wardrobe for my age - or indeed size !

Notcontent Mon 17-Mar-14 10:17:35

It's not about your age - it's about your shape, lifestyle and what you enjoy wearing!!!!

Notcontent Mon 17-Mar-14 10:22:13

Agree with Polyhymnia - over 40 is not old!!!

My 60 something mum would also be really offended by this.

abfabweb Mon 17-Mar-14 10:41:08

For me it is all about accessorising!! I love to change the look of a much loved dress by adding new accessories - some statement jewellery, a scarf, hair accessories. www.accessorizemyoutfit.com is Brilliant for help and ideas on how to do this. Spend your money on some accessories!

noviceoftheday Mon 17-Mar-14 10:51:17

In the same way that I think it is totally weird to define one entire brand of clothes as totally mumsy, it is also weird to define an entire brand as stylish.

I am a regular poster on the MNV thread in S&B and one of the things that I have found really interesting is that we all have very different tastes and budgets. Having met or seen pictures of most of the posters on that thread, i wouldn't describe any of them as mumsy. They are all very stylish and that is irrespective of whether they are shopping at Oasis/River Island or designer. There are things that people link that I would absolutely love to be able to wear, but, for example, at least 2 of the posters are about 8 feet inches taller than me, so what looks fab on them would be a total disaster on me. Also, I have a small frame and someone last year linked a lovely cocoon coat - that would totally drown me!

What i am trying to say is that what looks stylish, really depends on the shape, size and colouring of the person as well as their budget, lifestyle and outlook. Eg i am a wohm in a corporate environment, so most of my wardrobe wouldn't be much use to a sahm grin. Furthermore, I would regard myself as a classic dresser and in my 30s I found comfort in dressing in a classic way - chic and stylish. In my 40s, I am still a classic dresser, however, I have introduced a little edge into it.

The most useful website I have found in trying to work out what kind of clothes would suit you and not suit you is the Dressipi website. You have to be prepared to invest about an hour in answering the questions properly though! Also, pinterest and people on the MNV thread have introduced me to new brands that I hadn't heard of 18 months ago.

Millyblods Mon 17-Mar-14 11:45:16

what's MNV smile

Mumsnet Vogue smile

Millyblods Mon 17-Mar-14 12:43:40

Oooo.....I never knew. grin

KristinaM Mon 17-Mar-14 12:56:15

Now back from run and reporting to mumsnet :-)

Fed up, before you spend any of your hard earned cash you need to do some research on what suits you. That includes all the things mentioned down the thread -your height, weight, shape, colouring, personal style , budget and lifestyle.

There are lots of useful websites out there. Some women get their colours or style done, other use personal shoppers or shopping advisors. There are lots of threads here on MN.

The most stylish women are not those of a certain age or who have a certain budget or shop certain stores or buy labels. They are the ones who have worked out exactly what suits them, fits their lifestyle , their budget and their personality.

We can't do that for you. If you post specific questions, you will get some good answers eg can I wear tapered trousers if I'm pear shaped? What's the best swimwear for big boobs . Etc etc

But you will need to do your own research first to work out what are the right questions to ask

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now