Can someone give me a definitive guide to the order in which you put stuff on your face please?

(74 Posts)
Hassled Sun 16-Mar-14 17:19:29

So I always thought serum, then moisturiser, then foundation. I once bought some primer but haven't really used it because 4 layers of stuff on my face seems insane, and I don't know where it comes in the face-slap order. And then I was given some toner - where does that come in?

Now Sali Hughes here has baffled the hell out of me - whatever she's reviewing seems to be both a serum and a primer but she's putting it over her moisturiser.

Also - concealer first, then foundation? Or the other way round? I'm talking eye-bag concealer here.

Is there an ultimate guide out there somewhere?

DoYonisHangLow Sun 16-Mar-14 17:26:55

For me it goes cleanse, tone, serum, moisturise, primer, foundation, concealer. Except I don't tone, use serum or concealer. But if I did, that'd be the order I'd do it in grin

HollyWhiteAlwaysWearsAHat Sun 16-Mar-14 17:28:28

I need to know this too.

I know you go:

Cleanse (get off dirt, grime and make-up)

Tone (to close up your pores so the greasy moisturiser and make-up doesn't block them)

Moisturise (or night cream)

But what about the rest? confused

I do serum before moisturiser, and primer after. Then concealer after primer, then foundation.

But sometimes I buy a different face-slap thing, like Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, or Estee Lauder Idealist Skin Illuminator, and I have no fecking idea when I should be applying it, and after what. confused

Hassled Sun 16-Mar-14 17:29:38

Thank you - that order makes sense. I wonder how many women actually do use all of those at once? I'd be there half the morning.

AllTheWorldAndSoMuch Sun 16-Mar-14 17:31:34

I find this helpful

Hassled Sun 16-Mar-14 17:31:46

Holly - I decided the Clarin's Flash balm thing was serum. although that wasn't really based on anything.

Hassled Sun 16-Mar-14 17:32:36

Oh I like that guide thing - thanks.

scottishmummy Sun 16-Mar-14 17:33:52

I do
Cleanse
Tone
Moisturise
Serum

senua Sun 16-Mar-14 17:33:53

You forgot powder. I know that goes on last.
<helpful>

Seriously, it is just too confusing isn't it.

scottishmummy Sun 16-Mar-14 17:34:45

God no powder it's so old lady

goodasitgets Sun 16-Mar-14 17:35:29

Cleanse, exfoliating toner, hydrating toner
Serum then moisturiser. Primer is last step before makeup
Concealer after foundation, otherwise you wipe off all your work!

Crutchlow35 Sun 16-Mar-14 17:36:12

Cleanse
Cold water - no toner here
Serum
Moisturiser
Primer
Concealer
Foundation

scottishmummy Sun 16-Mar-14 17:38:16

I thought 'twas skincare,inc make up it goes

Cleanse
Tone
Moisturise
Serum
Foundation
Cream blush
Eyeshadow
Eyeliner
Mascara
Lippy

HollyWhiteAlwaysWearsAHat Sun 16-Mar-14 17:38:50

Blimey if you followed that guide it would be time for bed before you'd even left the house. confused

And I can't do powder - it sits in my wrinkles and makes me look ten years older.

skrumle Sun 16-Mar-14 17:40:29

i use beauty flash balm as a primer...

supadupapupascupa Sun 16-Mar-14 17:44:00

serum AFTER moisturiser. Concealer AFTER foundation.

Just to confuse/add to the debate

HollyWhiteAlwaysWearsAHat Sun 16-Mar-14 17:47:12

So do any of us actually know what we are talking about? Because if not, we are just confusing one another more. grin

Floisme Sun 16-Mar-14 17:53:18

Please tell me you're all joking!
Cold water
Moisturiser, sunscreen, foundation - I put them all on together.
The end.

goodasitgets Sun 16-Mar-14 17:53:33

I think the serum/moisturiser debate came about as depending what ingredients it had. The REN serum I use says on it "apply before your moisturiser"
I guess if your serum has silicones, there's no point putting it on before moisturiser as the moisturiser won't sink in. But a natural oil type serum would be best before moisturiser

Crutchlow35 Sun 16-Mar-14 18:01:55

serum AFTER moisturiser. Concealer AFTER foundation.

No! Serum needs to work on your skin so before moisturiser and concealer before foundation so it all blends together properly!

Lj8893 Sun 16-Mar-14 18:06:38

This is what I do....

Cleanse&tone in one
Moisturiser
Primer
Concealer
Foundation
Concealer again!
Powder
Bronzer
Blusher
Highlighter
Eyebrow pencil
Eyeliner (if doing full make up)
Mascara
Lipliner & lipstick (if full make up)

Takes me about 15 mins

Varya Sun 16-Mar-14 18:11:33

Scottish mummy if you have a long shiny nose like mine it needs powder! Not 'old lady' are we ageist on MN? Not all over the face!

Lj8893 Sun 16-Mar-14 18:17:29

Yy I find powder helps set my make up and give me more coverage. I'm 26, certainly not an old lady!

Hassled Sun 16-Mar-14 18:29:28

I have the powder settling nicely into the wrinkles issue too. I go around with a nice shiny nose instead.

JanineStHubbins Sun 16-Mar-14 18:34:45

I do:

Cleanse
Serum
Moisturiser
Primer
Foundation
Concealer
Powder

Concealer before foundation makes no sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now