What is wrong with looking mumsy?

(364 Posts)

Just that really.

What is mumsy? I associate mumsy with being comfortable. In which case I was mumsy long before I was a mum.

dunsborough Sat 15-Mar-14 11:36:58

I'm curious as to why you posted this in Style and Beauty...

VeryStressedMum Sat 15-Mar-14 11:39:33

Nothing. You can look/dress any way you want. But most people equate mumsy with frumpy and that's the look they want to avoid. Comfortable is not mumsy.

eurochick Sat 15-Mar-14 11:42:01

Nothing. Dress any way you want.

To me mumsy=frumpy and I would prefer not to think of myself as frumpy (although at 38 I am past some of the most cutting edge fashions).

Floisme Sat 15-Mar-14 12:11:39

Once you get past 40 you're going to be called either 'mumsy' or 'mutton'. I would ignore them all and wear whatever you want.

WipsGlitter Sat 15-Mar-14 12:22:41

I think of mumsy as dated and frumpy rather than comfortable.

Ergo the ubiquitous "mum boots", sensible slacks, frumpy haircut, jolly colour schemes (red top, trousers and shoes), comfy squashy soled shoes.

I know of two women, one younger than me, other of undeterminate age due to said mumsy-ness, who both just look mumsy.

RedPencilPot Sat 15-Mar-14 12:40:57

What are mum boots?

RedPencilPot Sat 15-Mar-14 12:41:55

Also what would a frumpy haircut look like?

FrugalFashionista Sat 15-Mar-14 12:56:31

I think we exhausted this topic last year - see old thread.

Lots of old threads on mum boots, just search for them.

Wearing mom jeans as I type wink

MaeMobley Sat 15-Mar-14 13:02:43

Mum jeans? I see that the US president is accused of wearing mom jeans.

bunnybing Sat 15-Mar-14 13:03:31

I may well look mumsy but I like to think I have always dressed this way. I can't even wear my mum boots these days due to injury - have had to buy 'comfort shoes' - aaaghhh!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 15-Mar-14 13:10:21

Mummy is another word for frumpy in my mind.

I wear comfortable stuff always, can't cope with heels or any clothing which is not comfortable but I try to avoid frumpy!

Millyblods Sat 15-Mar-14 13:28:49

Wow Floisme that is just not true. Women in their forties look amazing and often better than when they were younger. Not just forties either 50 60 even 70 year olds embrace style and look amazing.

Floisme Sat 15-Mar-14 14:22:38

Millyblods what isn't true? Of course there are loads of fabulously stylish 50+ women - I am one of them grin What did you think I was saying?

duns borough I love Style & Beauty. Just got some Lanacane anti chafing gel for primer as recommended here. Brilliant.
Genuinely curious and wanted some definitions I suppose. I didn't think of mumsy = frumpy. Angelina Jolie was described as mumsy at this years Oscars on this board. I just thought well she is a mum and I thought she looked ok.
I suspect I veer to the slightly frumpy side of stylishness if that is not an oxymoron.

Millyblods Sat 15-Mar-14 14:35:37

Floisme sorry and apologies sad. read that wrong as you can tell.smile

Ktay Sat 15-Mar-14 14:36:21

Isn't the mumsy look coming back in now anyway with this 'normcore' thing? <<clueless about S&B, can you tell?? grin>>

Millyblods Sat 15-Mar-14 14:38:07

I'm in my 50s too so went on defensive overdrive. grin

Just reading thread linked above.
Bob - tick
CBA Mousy - tick
Boot cut jeans - tick
Boots with kitten heels (low heels) - tick

Floisme Sat 15-Mar-14 14:55:45

Millyblods no worries at all, the ageism on Style and Beauty (though not in this thread) gets to me sometimes too!

Having said which, 'mumsy' isn't really age specific; it's just an insult for daring to - well look like a mum grin

Capitola Sat 15-Mar-14 15:03:17

To me, mumsy means frumpy, ie bootcuts, tunics with leggings - that sort of look.

noddyholder Sat 15-Mar-14 15:11:49

Mumsy equals frumpy and a bit dated Not really an age thing I def look better now than when ds was little!

Meglet Sat 15-Mar-14 15:20:34

Angelina did look mumsy this year. I can't put my finger on why.

I stopped wearing mum boots a while back when I realised how frumpy they were.

Floisme Sat 15-Mar-14 15:30:11

But why do we say 'mumsy' rather than just 'frumpy'? I do it myself so I'm not having a pop at anyone but talk about self loathing grin So what's going on?

TheZeeTeam Sat 15-Mar-14 15:33:49

Angelina's was a horrible dress. It made her boobs look saggy and made her look a bit fat. Note to designers, if you make Angelina bloody Jolie look large, it's time to go back to the drawing board.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now