Bra intervention - How has it affected you?

(83 Posts)
boogiewoogie Wed 12-Mar-14 18:10:23

So with more of use being remeasured and swapping old bras for our real sized bras, I wonder whether whether it's made much of a difference overall. Please feel free to share your experience, your old and new bra size and whether bra intervention has made a difference to you.

Okay, so for me, I was already quite small at 32A but my problems were mainly that the straps would fall down, the band would ride up when I lifted my arms and there would be gaping between the cups. I've tried several 28Ds and am currently wearing a Cleo Marcie 28DD. No more falling straps, band staying put and no flashing nipples when I lean over. However, they seem rather uncomfortable with the first few wears. I

It does mean however that to buy 28 back bras, I would have to rely doing it mostly online or wait till I get to a big city.

I was an M&s 38b. My boobs were squashed sideways in a middle aged spread type way. I used to put my nads to the sides and underneath and be able to push my boobs at lesst 2 inches in and up. Couldn't understand why underwired bras didn't support them but seemed to just sit over them.
The wires sat at least half an inch from my rib cage, and the bra constantly rode up, sometimes half my boobs would be escaping out under the wires.

I didn't even know that tha middle bit was supposed to sit flat to the chest!! On reading a bra intervention thread last June I pushed the bit against my chest and was stunned at the way my boobs immediately bulged over the top of the cup.

I now wear Freya's in a 34e. I am a different shape. My belly looks smaller because my boobs stick up and out. Last summer all my dresses looked better. I Bought a cup sized swimsuit and felt fab on holiday.

I discovered that my boob shape is totally unsuited to moulded cups yet I'd been wearing those for years, but they weren't like bras on me, more like some kind of bandage that squashed my boobs and made my top half look a dress size bigger.

My only regret is that I didn't keep one of the 38b, it would have acted as a nice reminder how far I've come!

Oh and nothing in marks and spencer fits me, not in any size. I don't know who they think they are making bras for but I suspect it's not humans.

MadBusLady Wed 12-Mar-14 22:39:56

I intervened myself several years ago. I was in 34Cs/Ds, had constant wobble and adjusting going on and from my middle twenties I had back pain and sore chafed boobs by the end of every day and couldn't wait to get home and get my bra off - thought that was normal!

I wear a 30F/FF now and I am comfortable all day and never even think about adjusting because my boobs just stay where I put them in the morning. And the back pain which I assumed was just part of getting a bit older and thought would be with me for life has VANISHED, that's probably the biggest thing.

ummingandahhing Wed 12-Mar-14 23:17:55

I'm currently trying to intervene with someone and she's being very sceptical!

Point her at the brabandproject website. It often cures the skeptics

MrsPennyapple Wed 12-Mar-14 23:54:33

Was wearing 34C
Suggested 32F
Now wearing 34C

32 is like a vice around my ribs, and anything above a C cup is just empty space. Still not convinced 34C is actually right, but it's the nearest to a decent fit.

TheFillyjonk Thu 13-Mar-14 06:52:16

With intervention, I went down from a 28G to a 28E. There's not a major difference in the fit, really - I'm still having to rest my (clothed) bosom on the table if I sit for a long time. grin

As I've always been a 28, the price of bras didn't throw me. I do always wonder how many women who've been intervened have had a massive wake up call at how ridiculously expensive properly-fitting underwear is. Also how ahem lacking in style a lot of it is - all that garishly coloured nipple-flashing mesh and those godawful psychedelic prints... The Bravissimo catalogue makes me quite sad, really.

SorrelForbes Thu 13-Mar-14 07:00:29

MrsPennyapple I suspect that was a style issue. What type of bras did you try?

TheFillyjonk hmmm, I'll have to disagree, the latest catalogue has just arrived and there are some beautiful designs (IMHO)

Eminybob Thu 13-Mar-14 07:00:47

Could someone please tell me how to take the measurement? Shamefully I have never ever been measured I just try on bras until one fits blush
Thanks

MrsPennyapple Thu 13-Mar-14 08:12:33

Sorrel I like balcony style, I avoid plunge styles as they tend to gape. Tbh I probably need to re-measure as I've lost a bit more baby weight since then.

ummingandahhing Thu 13-Mar-14 08:12:55

Statistically I KNOW she's in the wrong bra as she's a size 12 and thinks she's 36B!

HazleNutt Thu 13-Mar-14 08:48:29

umm I had a friend like this too, kept insisting she's 38, because she's always been 38 and if she measures in cm, she's 85 cm and that converts to UK38, so therefore she's 38.

Once when she was visiting, I took one of my size 32 bras, draped it over her shirt, back to front and showed that she can hook it with room to spare.

poorbuthappy Thu 13-Mar-14 08:56:35

If you change your bra from a 36 fine to a 34/32/30 then yes to start with the bra is always going to feel tight.
It may even rub because suddenly the right bits of bra are supporting your boobs. The band not the straps is meant to do the work.

So wearing the bra for an hour and then ditching it because it's too tight is not the way to go. Your boobs will not thank you!!!

Was 34B. Went to 30D before my last pregnancy but that wasn't enough - I was fitted at 28GG when I was bfing. I am currently waiting to stop bfing before getting refitted, I am wearing a selection of ill fitting 32DDs and 30Ds at the moment. I suspect I'm a 28E. No point spending a load of money only for it all to change again in a couple of weeks.

noddyholder Thu 13-Mar-14 09:05:43

I had hideous indigestion for a few days and looked like a 1950s pin up. Have gone back to my normal size and am relieved not to be stared at!

FrugalFashionista Thu 13-Mar-14 09:07:23

I think the bra ladies deserve a medal. I took the middle road - went down in the band size and up in the cup size but not so much that it stops circulation. I choose bras that feel good and sexy. I have fairly small and firm breasts, so extreme support is not what I'm looking for. Rather, I want to feel good.

SorrelForbes Thu 13-Mar-14 09:10:36

MrsPennyapple Sounds like you might like a wide, shallow cup. Have your tried the Cleo Juna, Cleo Lucy/Bonnie or the Lepel Fiore Half cup?

I love a good RL bossing around intervention session

MrsPennyapple Thu 13-Mar-14 09:28:47

I haven't tried any of those, Sorrel, we have a very limited choice locally, and I can't afford a lot, so I'm pretty stuck. My mum does have a Bravissimo nearby, so I'll make an appointment next time I go to visit.

funkybuddha Thu 13-Mar-14 09:31:56

ok, so I think I definitely need an intervention. I haven't bought any bras for 5 years (while I was pregnant and breast feeding) and wore some that people gave me that kind of fitted. blush
so how do I do this and where is a good place to shop?

Hopasholic Thu 13-Mar-14 09:41:19

I went from a 34/36 D to a 30E. My boobs are now 'lifted up back where they belong, they look soooo much better in clothes but I do still find it hard to find the right one. Different brands just vary so much depending on style.
Need a couple of T-shirt bras for the summer if anyone has any recommendations?
I will never venture into M&S lingerie dept again. Even their staff are obviously in the wrong size hmm

ProjectGainsborough Thu 13-Mar-14 09:46:03

I thought the band was ridiculously tight at first too, but I bore with it and now it feels completely normal. My boobs stay where I put them, as everyone else has said. I tried on one of my old 34's recently and it was sliding around my back, and tits jiggling everywhere - horrible sensation.

Not a lot of difference here to be honest, it only changed me from a 36D to a 36E. Bravissimo sized me correctly but the bra I ended up buying there didn't actually fit that well, the straps kept falling down. Have gone back to M&S and found bras that fit perfectly.

cjbk1 Thu 13-Mar-14 10:11:24

was just thinking about this; no disrespect to statistically or anybody else but the intervention has put me back to where I was; hmm four fresh bad experiences at department stores, one at expensive independent place wasted money....i just have rubbish boobs don't i? confused

Canalside Thu 13-Mar-14 10:26:07

grin

I went from 36C pre-pregnancy, to getting properly fitted into a 34GG while breastfeeding, then 32GG once things settled a bit, and am now in a 30FF/G post-feeding. I used to wear plunge padded bras but now find that I've lost volume at the top so half cup bras and some lower-cut balconettes look best on me. I feel much better and am much comfier in a properly fitting bra.

I have some panache Idinas, which are really comfy, and have just got a Bravissimo Rococo Charm, and a Hearts Amour, which I like a bit less as it's padded. Are there any others that are similar in fit, do any of you know?

Am also desperate to intervene my sister - she's in a 36C from m&s when she's a size 8-10. I'd be betting on more like a 28GG/H personally!

Canalside Thu 13-Mar-14 10:34:30

grin

I went from 36C pre-pregnancy, to getting properly fitted into a 34GG while breastfeeding, then 32GG once things settled a bit, and am now in a 30FF/G post-feeding. I used to wear plunge padded bras but now find that I've lost volume at the top so half cup bras and some lower-cut balconettes look best on me. I feel much better and am much comfier in a properly fitting bra.

I have some panache Idinas, which are really comfy, and have just got a Bravissimo Rococo Charm, and a Hearts Amour, which I like a bit less as it's padded. Are there any others that are similar in fit, do any of you know?

Am also desperate to intervene my sister - she's in a 36C from m&s when she's a size 8-10. I'd be betting on more like a 28GG/H personally!

CalamityKate Thu 13-Mar-14 10:43:19

36DD - 34FF!

I've got implants and worried that I'd got a touch of capsular contracture because my right boob used to get tight and painful on and off.

It's been completely fine since intervention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now