Saltwater sandals

(106 Posts)
Saurus72 Sat 08-Mar-14 21:25:16

I need some flat sandals to wear on holiday, and just for scuffing around in at the weekends in summer when heels/wedges are not an option, e.g., if I'm going shopping, walking for miles etc.

I have some Birkenstocks and find them OK, but not brilliantly comfy. I also have some Fly london sandals with a tiny wedge, but they are nearing the end of their life.

So, I've been looking at Saltwater sandals - I love the colours and they look pretty comfy. Any opinions/experience of wearing them gratefully received.

Shimmyshimmy Sun 09-Mar-14 11:39:54

I'd forgot about the getting them wet to fit thing, I didn't need to do that.

expatinscotland Sun 09-Mar-14 11:45:18

Ah, Mrs, thanks for that. I'm headed back to the States for a month this summer, I'll just buy them there.

mirpuppet Sun 09-Mar-14 15:47:35

I'm in the minority but I don't find mine that comfortable. A bit to flat for walking miles (which is what I do daily).

mejon Sun 09-Mar-14 16:20:08

That's my worry mirpuppet - shoes that are too flat don't really give enough support. I really like the kids' fisherman style ones ('Shark'?) and would buy them in an instant if they came in grown-ups sizes as the soles are a bit more substantial.

I have navy ones I love them , I have quite broad feet and they are very comfy .
I bought my daughter the silver sweetheart ones last year she wore them to death.

Shimmyshimmy Sun 09-Mar-14 16:36:35

Yep they are flat and that might be a problem if you used to a bit of a heel but I don't find them as flat feeling as a pair of high top trainers I have. But the soles are made of rubber but aren't very spongy, so they wouldn't be great on cobbles.

WhatWouldCaitlinDo Sun 09-Mar-14 18:15:59

Are there any actual shops that sell them in the UK, rather than just online?

BonaDea Sun 09-Mar-14 18:27:10

I've just ordered in red. Here's hoping they live up tothehype!

Mrsfrumble Sun 09-Mar-14 19:54:10

Flakjacket, I have long very narrow feet and they fit perfectly. The idea is that you should get them wet the first time you wear them then the leather either stretches or shrinks and moulds to your feet.

I'm definitely getting some for my toddler DD this summer too grin

Mrsfrumble Sun 09-Mar-14 19:59:10

This is what they look like on size 7, narrow, boney feet....

BikeRunSki Sun 09-Mar-14 20:00:28

WhatWould there is a shop in Scissett near Huddersfield and Barnsley that sells them if you are in this neck of the woods.

Pandsbear Sun 09-Mar-14 20:05:31

Agree they look lovely on but they are really really flat with zero arch support at all. If you need any type of support they are not for you!

AndTwoBits Sun 09-Mar-14 20:26:34

Alexa Chung rocking them

CuttedUpPear Mon 10-Mar-14 07:30:44

I was reading the thread with hope til I got to the comments about lack of support.
I have arthritis in my ankle and have been constantly wearing Rieker boots (soft, light, flexible) since it's got really bad, this winter.

I'm worried about what I can wear this summer now!

Any suggestions?

Does anyone know if a half-size would be better off sizing up or down for these sandals? TIA.

Pandsbear Mon 10-Mar-14 14:24:44

CuttedUpPear - not these! (sadly). I have arthritis in ankle & foot and there is no way on earth I could walk in them properly. Which is a big shame as I have a lovely shiny red pair from last summer that I thought I MIGHT be able to wear. But can't, so I just have to look at them until I ebay them.

Had to resort back to fitflop trainers and DM sandals to hold my feet together.

flakjacket Mon 10-Mar-14 15:47:19

Thanks Mrsfrumble - you have my feet! I think I might phone my local branch of Toast and see if they have any to try. :-)

CuttedUpPear Tue 11-Mar-14 07:14:04

Thanks Pandsbear sad
Any other suggestions gratefully received.

LucilleBluth Tue 11-Mar-14 11:36:23

I have just ordered a navy pair for me and a turquoise pair for DD blush

TinyDiamond Tue 11-Mar-14 13:47:07

I am a 3 (36) does anyone know if they do that size? I wanted them all last summer but the adult ones seem to start at a 4 and kids stop at a 2 (35) bloody annoying. Any tips?

LivUpNorth Tue 11-Mar-14 16:06:15

The holy grail of the comfy flattering sandal is SO difficult to find...

Love the Saltwater ones, but for me the sole looks too thin to walk comfortably on and ankle straps aren't great with my clumpy calves.

There just don't seem to be any comfy and vaguely stylish sandals that are flatteringly v-shaped at the front and have decent thick bouncy soles. Sigh.

mrsbirdie Tue 11-Mar-14 16:32:08

This is timely, I dither over buying a pair of these every summer. By the time I decide I want some they're sold out everywhere in the UK.

Anyone with wide feet (and with a touch of bunion blush) got any experience with them? Have always been wary because the front isn't adjustable, even if they do mould to you feet I fear I won't be able to get them on to get to that stage!

Lambzig Tue 11-Mar-14 17:22:55

Have to stop reading Style and Beauty. Have just bought some for me and DD.

Lambzig Tue 11-Mar-14 17:24:42

Posted too early. Totally influenced by mrsfrumble and her pedicure. Not sure my small, fat and white feet will look quite as good.

sarahandmallard Tue 11-Mar-14 19:29:40

Got some last summer and it was the only shoes DD and I wore. I love the fact I can get them wet and they're not slippery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now