Make up on the train

(468 Posts)
failingmammalian Fri 07-Mar-14 06:16:15

Is it acceptable to do your make up on the train .. Powder blush mascara and lip balm. Nothing gross like eyebrow plucking
I do get some funny looks. Isn't it normal/acceptable?
What's a girl to do?

ILoveWooly Fri 07-Mar-14 08:36:08

Contaminating others? Seems a little OTT.

I have been known to touch up my make up on the train if I am heading straight to meet someone. It is hardly a full on morning routine including cleansing, toning, moisturising, deodorant, perfume etc!

HaymitchAbarnathy Fri 07-Mar-14 08:46:21

I love watching people doing their make up and transforming themselves.

Lilymaid Fri 07-Mar-14 08:47:23

As a longer distance commuter, I find it fascinating ... so few people look any better at the end of the exercise. I have a great time being judgy! I don't put on makeup on the train myself ... that is what arriving 3 minutes early in the station car park is for!

Gigondas Fri 07-Mar-14 08:52:40

Contaminating is Ott, being coveredin loose powder not good (which have seen happen).

ggirl Fri 07-Mar-14 08:53:38

tribpot YES this exactly ,if you're happy to sit on a train naked faced , why are you putting make up..The illusion is lost by then.

bigTillyMint Fri 07-Mar-14 08:55:41

Same as Hatty - juggling make-up on a moving train?!

No problem if you don't mind me staring at you!

Silverfoxballs Fri 07-Mar-14 08:58:32

It would be unhygienic if you have grabbed a few handrails before getting on the train as your then your touching your face.

I think application of lipstick is fine only.

NuggetofPurestGreen Fri 07-Mar-14 09:01:34

ggirl and tribpot because I don't care about strangers on a train seeing me without makeup but I do care about being 'fully dressed' for work and throughout the day.

This is one of those things I had absolutely no clue was a 'thing' until mumsnet. As in I had no idea people had feelings about it being wrong or a no no. Since then I am more conscious of doing it but I still don't care an continue to put on makeup on the bus if I need to!

MummyPigsFatTummy Fri 07-Mar-14 09:05:06

I don't like the smell of other people's makeup (I assume mine is the same but I don't notice it when I am doing it in the bathroom at home). A woman sat next to me the other day and did the whole works and I really didn't like it. Luckily it's pretty rare on my train (you can't guarantee a seat so I suppose it is too much of a risk not to do it before you get on.

frogwatcher42 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:10:20

As long as nobody is sitting next to you its fine. I think if somebody is near you it is unacceptable.

But you need to accept that there will be loads of judgy pants watching you and thinking 'goodness, she looks better now - the wonders of make-up' or 'goodness, why did she bother'!!

fuzzywuzzy Fri 07-Mar-14 09:10:49

I don't eat on the tube either.

I actually find it fascinating watching women whip out super sharp eyeliners and the proceed to apply it. I watched a woman apply her eyeliner beautifully only for the the train to jolt messing it up.

I do find people plucking their eyebrows, filing nails and even clipping nails absolutely disgusting.

AuntieMaggie Fri 07-Mar-14 09:25:59

I do my make up on the train sometimes when I have long journeys - I am not getting up earlier than the 5/6am I already have to do my make up so I might as well make the most of the time on the train.

Lots of women do theirs in the waiting room at my local train station between connections.

Passthecake30 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:38:50

Don't stop...I get my best make up lessons on the train (yes, I stare. ..)

specialsubject Fri 07-Mar-14 10:15:15

if there's space and nothing smells, don't see a problem.

as someone else points out, you won't look any better for it though!

cardamomginger Fri 07-Mar-14 10:24:25

I would never do this and think it looks cheap and skanky. Yes, I am being judgemental. But that's what I think. The MOST that I think is acceptable with is refreshing lipstick.

Missred Fri 07-Mar-14 10:29:29

Not something i would personally choose to do, but I think provided you're not invading a fellow travellors personal space then no problem. Watched a woman applying the full works (luckily I sat opposite), felt so sorry for the man next her as she elbowed/splattered face powder/ leaned into his space for a good 10-15 mins. I thought she was incredibly rude, but he was too polite to say anything -and had a rare seat - so moving wasn't really an option.
As with many issues in life, have consideration for your fellows

HarrietVaneAgain Fri 07-Mar-14 10:30:02

I put my B&B cream and powder on before I leave the house and add my very minimal blusher and eyeshadow and lippy on the train. Didn't realise this was an no-no and may have to reconsider. I've never noticed any funny looks tho..,

snakeandpygmy Fri 07-Mar-14 10:31:55

Yet another on the long list of things I don't give a fuck about... if you are invading mine or another's space then you are being rude, otherwise can't bring myself to care

VodkaRevelation Fri 07-Mar-14 10:40:19

How much time are people saving? I wear make up to work- foundation,highlighter, powder, blusher, liquid eyeliner and mascara. Takes me five minutes to apply in the morning.

winterhat Fri 07-Mar-14 10:42:18

No. Other people don't want to look at someone else's grimacing and vanity rituals.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Fri 07-Mar-14 11:22:48

Totally acceptable. I used to do it pre sprogs when getting onto the bus for 8.30 seemed difficult. I'm at work for 8.30 after a nursery run now!

It's interesting why people get so bothered, isn't it? Obviously if you're being elbowed by someone while they're putting on mascara or covered in loose powder that's going to be irritating, but why is watching people annoying?

I think it must be something to do with what someone said earlier, that it's a transformative thing, and the illusion is lost when you watch someone. So by making someone watch, you're showing that you don't care if they see you without make-up, but you do care if somebody else (your work colleagues etc.) do, so it's a subtle diss to all the people on the train, whether it's intended or not. Hmmm (takes philosophical hat off and goes to sort out the washing). FWIW, personally I don't give a monkeys either way.

MrsMarigold Fri 07-Mar-14 11:28:29

extra cuddle with the DH or DC or make up on the tube/bus?
I'd always go for the extra cuddle. I love watching people put on make up - it's lovely.

Thurlow Fri 07-Mar-14 11:53:19

I don't like it. It irritates me when the woman sat opposite me is putting her make up on. But I don't know why!

I suspect it's because I get irritated by people on busy commuter trains who do anything but sit very still and read a book or watch a tablet grin If I can see their arm moving repetitively out of the corner of my eye it really, really winds me up.

MsBehave Fri 07-Mar-14 12:05:26

Nope. Always done before I leave the house. No need to do it on public transport, I don't get why you'd want to.

I may do a quick touch up of eyeliner/powder in emergencies but that's it and even then I don't feel comfortable doing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now