Make up on the train

(468 Posts)
failingmammalian Fri 07-Mar-14 06:16:15

Is it acceptable to do your make up on the train .. Powder blush mascara and lip balm. Nothing gross like eyebrow plucking
I do get some funny looks. Isn't it normal/acceptable?
What's a girl to do?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 09-Mar-14 14:19:20

Some might say looking out the window is a sensible suggestion if you are focusing on something you don't like.

laza222 Sun 09-Mar-14 14:46:15

It doesn't bother me in the slightest if someone does their make up on the train. Nail varnish maybe but the rest - no. It doesn't impact me. Loud music, feet on seats, people who don't fold the newspaper - those all annoy me.

SirChenjin Sun 09-Mar-14 15:29:29

Some people might say that it's up to the person imposing their behaviour on others to show consideration for others and refrain from doing so, rather than expecting everyone else to shut up and look out of the window.

It all depends on whether or not you think it's important to show consideration for your fellow travellers.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 09-Mar-14 15:33:57

I didn't say 'shut up,' I said look out of the window to distract yourself. Obviously if you are being covered in powder then say something.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 09-Mar-14 15:34:49

I put my make up on at the kitchen table, while eating breakfast-good multi taskinggrin

SirChenjin Sun 09-Mar-14 15:40:45

Obv. I paraphrased the 'shut up' - but essentially that's what you were suggesting. Distract yourself by looking out of the window? Why the heck should I have to 'distract myself' while someone is imposing their inconsiderate behaviour on me? That's not having issues or having invalid opinions, that's expecting others to be considerate and courteous.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 09-Mar-14 15:42:38

Again, enough with 'issues' I haven't said thatconfused

I'm off to make the most of the sunshinesmile

Slattern is a nasty, misogynistic word. Real shame that it's bandied about so carelessly on here.

Argh fucking autocorrect.

SirChenjin Sun 09-Mar-14 16:08:16

I have no idea whether or not you said issues - I'm repeating what has been levelled at those of us who don't want to be jostled, covered in powder, or have the tiny amount of personal space 'invaded' by women putting on their makeup.

I would also feel the same about a man using an electric shaver on the train though. There is a myriad of inconsiderate behaviour on public transport, sadly.

ProfondoRosso Sun 09-Mar-14 17:46:43

Agree with Amber - 'slattern' and 'slapper' are insults designed to put women in 'their place.' They are inherently misogynistic. If you don't consider yourself a misogynist, ask yourself why you think it's ok to use those words.

CuntyBunty Sun 09-Mar-14 17:57:29

It's all an extension of another stick to beat women with, the "public make up disgust". Leave them alone and look the other way.

"Minging" and "minger" are nearly as bad too, Profondo. They are just that bit more subtle. I feel sad for women after reading such vehement negativity towards them on this thread for doing something that at worst, could be mildly irritating. It's a heart sink thread.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 09-Mar-14 18:05:06

Definitely Cunty. I am sad

Shimmyshimmy Sun 09-Mar-14 18:07:43

Agree cunty - it's a depressing thread.

Agree with amber.

Viviennemary Sun 09-Mar-14 18:24:23

I just don't agree with 'it's another stick to beat womenwith.' I'd feel just as annoyed at a man who decided to shave on the train. Do your toilette at home. Not on the train.

CuntyBunty Sun 09-Mar-14 18:27:04

Shaving would kick up hair dust, so it would be far more invasive. Shaving in public showers is not allowed because of the risk of blood borne infection, so it's in a different league to putting on a bit of make up.

I'm probably going to regret this, but here goes.
We get on horribly overcrowded tubes most days of our lives to get to work. people are stressed by the close proximity to people they don't know, that they are hurtling through dark tunnels a long way underground, could get stuck in the tunnels at any point, could be late for work, could get blown up, so basically try to block everyone else out. In order for us to be able to do that effectively, everyone else has to more or less do the same. Sit quietly, don't make eye contact, and get through it, till you squeeze off at the other end.
Now anyone on that carriage who is doing anything unusual, clipping nails, humming, lounging over you, snogging, sniffing, snoring, sneezing, humming, somehow stresses most people out. I can't think anyone cares if you slap on a bit of lipstick, or something quick, but if you start an elaborate beauty routine then it just seems bizarre.
Trains, buses, cars don't seem to have the same effect as you can look out the window and daydream, but being on a rushhour tube just seems to make everything matter more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now