Make up on the train

(468 Posts)
failingmammalian Fri 07-Mar-14 06:16:15

Is it acceptable to do your make up on the train .. Powder blush mascara and lip balm. Nothing gross like eyebrow plucking
I do get some funny looks. Isn't it normal/acceptable?
What's a girl to do?

AuditAngel Fri 07-Mar-14 06:25:31

No

Get up earlier.

All the time you are putting gunk on yourself you are also contaminating the people around you. (And yes, I do work makeup sometimes, but it put it on at home)

fuzzywuzzy Fri 07-Mar-14 06:29:30

Don't you find it unhygienic? I hate being on the trains at the best of times, the first thing I do when I get to work is go wash my hands.

buttercrumble Fri 07-Mar-14 06:35:02

Not at all , can't you do it before you leave home.

Mumraathenoisylion Fri 07-Mar-14 06:42:13

I think it's fine as long as no one is sitting next to you

NewJobNewLife Fri 07-Mar-14 06:42:38

I don't like it when others do their make up on the train. It's impossible not to stare and feels like I am invading their privacy, when actually they are making it impossible not to.

Please do it at home or at work. Trains are for reading, listening to music, messing with your phone or sleeping. They are not an extension of your bathroom.

BeeMyBaby Fri 07-Mar-14 06:52:32

I do it on the bus not the train! The way I see it is that the bus is wasted time so I'm making it into something useful. I use my time at home to spend it with my dd's and I'm not going to cut into that time by putting on makeup or deprive myself of sleep when I know there is an hour every morning where I am sitting very still twiddling my thumbs. I think you only need to put on make up prior to getting on the bus if you care what other passengers think of you, but frankly it's not for them.

hattymattie Fri 07-Mar-14 07:07:24

I always watch this in fascination - I have trouble drawing a straight line on my eyelid in my bedroom, never mind on the tube!

chanie44 Fri 07-Mar-14 07:23:14

I sometimes do some make up eg lip gloss, a sweep of blusher and hand cream. I wouldn't do foundation or eyes.

I normally sit in seats that face the seats ahead, so only the person next it me can see me.

I would think it weird that someone can't get ready before leaving the house.

Foxsticks Fri 07-Mar-14 07:32:27

When I used to commute I was always surprised at the level of anger putting make up on could cause. It was always being debated in the letter pages of the metro and Standard. I always found it fascinating to watch and it didn't bother me but its apparently a big social no no.

cheeseandpineapple Fri 07-Mar-14 07:36:19

I admire people who do their make up on public transport, you need to be reasonably confident and comfortable with the glances and I like seeing the transformation. I was sitting next to someone recently who did the full works and when it came to her mascara, she had a great one with a built in mirror which was v nifty. I nearly asked her where it was from but then she stood up to get off so I didn't get a chance. But I managed to get one for myself at duty free after asking one of the staff if they knew which mascara has a mirror attached to it! V pleased with it and grateful to the girl on the tube although she doesn't know it!

AnaisB Fri 07-Mar-14 07:39:25

I do. I have an hour and a half commute and so it seems sensible. I bought a cake foundation especially for the commute to make it less messy.

I find it fascinating to watch other people put make-up on too - everyone has their own rituals.

Do people who think its unhygenic also not eat on trains?

cheeseandpineapple Fri 07-Mar-14 07:42:05

I don't really get why it's unhygienic to put make up on whilst on a train or tube?

whereisshe Fri 07-Mar-14 07:44:14

No. It's like watching someone get dressed, I hate it when people do it.

SinglePringle Fri 07-Mar-14 07:44:20

I do my make up before leaving the house but I might check my face and apply a little powder / lipstick on the train. I care not if others want to slap on the whole shebang. Really isn't something I can get worked up about. Most I do is check out her products and see if her 'cheaper' ones do as good a job the any expensive.

NearTheWindymill Fri 07-Mar-14 07:50:43

I put mine on in the car at work but I park up by a wall so nobody can see. I don't think it's a big deal on the train but I just wouldn't want anyone seeing me up close without mine.

Catsmamma Fri 07-Mar-14 07:52:55

lippy, eyeliner, mascara only...nothing floofy or powdery

no nail polish, no deodorant/perfume spraying, no cleansing, toning and moisturising.

NinetyNinePercentTroll Fri 07-Mar-14 07:55:12

I couldn't give a crap if you put your mu on on the train.

Crumbelina Fri 07-Mar-14 08:03:15

I couldn't care less if someone does it. I commute every day and have much more of a problem with loud music, smelly food, people squashing me and taking over my seat, men who have to spread their legs, people standing who whack me in the head with their bags. God I could go on forever. Make up really isn't an issue.

Gigondas Fri 07-Mar-14 08:07:42

As long as it's not smelly ( nail varnish) or messy (powder), I am not bothered tho I do wonder why people can't get up and do it at home as more peaceful and they won't be jogged as they move. Also you are relying usually on getting a seat to do it so may be scuppered if you don't.

In scale of commute crimes, it doesn't register compared to something like feet on seats.

PuppyMonkey Fri 07-Mar-14 08:09:53

I feel really self conscious and awkward just touching up my lipstick in the Ladies on a night out. Can't imagine how I'd feel doing the whole shebang on a train. Don't know why I feel like this - almost like I'd hate to think other people KNOW I wear make up.confused

PartTimePunk Fri 07-Mar-14 08:17:34

I do mine in the car on the way to work while DH drives so I have sympathy with the OP. I don't see why people shouldn't do their make up on public transport - they are multitasking and making the most efficient use of their time in the morning. The comment about contaminating others is somewhat OTT.

Rosieliveson Fri 07-Mar-14 08:33:01

I wouldn't be bothered by someone doing their make up. Besides, I'm nosey and like seeing whether other people also have a weird open mouthed mascara application face!

tribpot Fri 07-Mar-14 08:34:32

Isn't more fundamentally breaking the covenant of what makeup is for? (I dunno, I don't wear it). If you want to change your appearance before you are out in public, why are you doing it when you're already out in public? You might as well shave your legs or curl your hair - it's not artifice if everyone sees you do it smile (Unless you want to class it as performance art, maybe).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now