What are these tube skirts that are mentioned on here all the time?

(49 Posts)
movingmovingmoving Thu 27-Feb-14 22:47:46

I honestly don't think I have ever seen one in the shops, but am intrigued - are they short or long? I wear skater style skirts a lot but am getting bored of them so these could be an alternative...any chance someone could post a couple of examples?

bettykt Fri 28-Feb-14 14:45:02

Not normally a big fan of cheap clothing but I bought this one to test it out and it's great, I ruch (sp) it up a bit, mid thigh, wear leggings underneath and a jumper on top and with a pair of black Ask Jalouse boots. It looks great, think i'm going to go back for a black one.

Gillybobs Fri 28-Feb-14 15:53:17

The baukjen karlie skirt is fab too, nice length and ruched at the side so forgiving on my rather imperfect shape . There's a 20pc off code just now, work24 I think?

WhereIsMyHat Fri 28-Feb-14 15:56:28

Bettykt what is the size like on the skirt you linked to? Would you suggest sizing up?

VelvetDuvet Fri 28-Feb-14 15:58:05

this is the Matalan I mentioned up-thread. Same one as bettykit but a longer length. I'm tempted to buy another, so might go for the shorter version too.

I've got three of the Whistles ones and think they are amazing. Two of them I managed to get reductions on in sales, but even the full price one has more than paid for itself.

For maxis, the best I've found so far have been in Topshop.

KosherBacon Fri 28-Feb-14 20:57:37

I am so confused. I have never tried one on before as I assume that they will just look hideous on my chunky thighs. I have a 12 waist but size 14 thighs and just assumed that they will make me look awful, but I see some of you hourglass/ pears like them.

CointreauVersial Fri 28-Feb-14 22:26:07

I have a few of these, and I'm hooked! The nicest ones are made from a thick stretchy neoprene-like material, which holds everything in and hides lumps and bumps. I have one from Asda shock in a dark green palm print, one from Zara with a black and pink rose print, and a plain black one from M&S. I don't have any ruched ones.

They are all just below the knee. I find them really easy to wear, and very flattering.

bettykt Sat 01-Mar-14 08:58:27

whereis yes I did size up as they didn't have my normal size, it's fine, a little baggy on the stomach area but fine elsewhere. I'm going to try and buy the black one in my normal size to see if there's any difference.

LordPalmerston Sat 01-Mar-14 11:34:50

I have a Zara one. Wear with opaques. Heeled ankle boots. White shirt under a Zara oversize boxy knit

XiCi Sat 01-Mar-14 12:49:15

I really like the look of them but surely unless you have a completely washboard stomach these will just accentuate even the smallest of bumps. I can't imagine they are very flattering to curves.

LordPalmerston Sat 01-Mar-14 12:58:19

mine has twenty thrillion percent lycra in it

LordPalmerston Sat 01-Mar-14 12:59:14

I wear mine with opaques, heeled ankle boots or flat Chelsea boots and fairly fitted jumpers but in a size bigger than usual. This works better for me than really baggy jumpers. Or I wear with a belly covering top and a jacket for work. In the summer, I wore them with bare legs and Converse and a cami plus unbuttoned denim shirt.

movingmovingmoving Wed 05-Mar-14 22:42:18

Thanks for all the info - to update, I went and tried a few black versions on, I definitely like the idea but decided that because I would really only wear with opaques, it probably wouldn't be a good springtime purchase for me. Will keep in the back of my mind for autumn though, along with some new chunky knits to wear with them (starting shopping list for next year already!)

QueenQueenie Wed 05-Mar-14 23:01:12

I have the whistles long one in navy which is very useful...this one and also have this variation on a theme... baujken which is longer and nicer than it looks in the pic and strangely flattering.

noddyholder Wed 05-Mar-14 23:11:16

Basic thick Lycra tube I have one which is past knee shin length and I sometimes pull it up like a tube dress and wear a jumper over it. The link lord put is very much how i wear it easy butvstill looks stylish. H and m had some

Floisme Thu 06-Mar-14 10:23:45

QueenQueenie I've just bought the Whistles navy one too - much better colour than the black version, at least it is for me. (Slightly miffed that I've missed out on the Grazia offer but never mind!) I've also looked at that Baukjen one a few times but had decided it was too short so I'm intrigued that you say it's longer than it looks - any chance it might be knee length on someone who's 5'3"? Thanks!

QueenQueenie Thu 06-Mar-14 13:10:26

It would be below knee length imo. But the joy of it is you can ruch it shorter to the desired length. It is suprisingly good. I wear mine on the knee usually. I'm 5'5".

Floisme Thu 06-Mar-14 13:20:20

Thanks, QueenQueenie. I like them just below the knee so that might work. smile

Gillybobs Thu 06-Mar-14 13:23:07

Im 5 7 and the Baukjen can be knee length on me easily, loads of fabric in it

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 06-Mar-14 14:24:14

Baukjen one is quite long and I'm 5'6". I just got it, it's very flattering and think it will be nice with tights and boots or bare legs for summer.

I bought the Whistles one in navy too, it's very thick and skims over lumps and bumps.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 06-Mar-14 14:55:58

So any views on age-appropriateness? I'm 50 and am realising I need to avoid the dreaded hatchet face/trendy clothing combo.
Figure-wise, those skirts look perfect for me - and, as others have said, I'm sick of feeling like an idiot in skinny jeans.
< Hopeful >

Floisme Thu 06-Mar-14 15:06:56

Shotgun I am 57 and I think they are totally age appropriate - especially the ruched ones - because they cover you up, suck you in and camouflage all your lumps and bumps.
Mind you, I would also argue that hatchet-faced women are as entitled as anyone else to wear trendy clothing grin

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 06-Mar-14 17:14:22

Bless you Flo. I tend to share that view, but it's been shaken a bit recently as I've gone back to student life and am surrounded by late teens/20 year olds.

Anyway, credit card shall be duly flexed - yolo grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now