Flat shoes with suit for interview?

(8 Posts)
KnappShappeyShipwright Thu 27-Feb-14 22:43:51

I've got an interview next week, junior management job in a large company. I have a grey trouser suit already and will get a smart top at the weekend, but I'm worried about shoes. I simply can't walk in heels and look ridiculous, can I wear brogues or smart ballet flats without looking silly? I'm 5ft 3in, size 14-16 & pear-shaped, heading towards my late 30s. And any suggestions for tops or shoes gratefully received, I live in jeans at the moment so smart dressing is a bit outside normal experience.

polyhymnia Thu 27-Feb-14 23:25:14

Yes can definitely wear flats as l as long as they're smart , good quality and well cared for . Brogues would be good. Lots of good ones at present.

polyhymnia Thu 27-Feb-14 23:57:31

Yes can definitely wear flats as l as long as they're smart , good quality and well cared for . Brogues would be good. Lots of good ones at present.

polyhymnia Thu 27-Feb-14 23:58:11

Or ankle boots.

beanandspud Fri 28-Feb-14 09:14:49

I wouldn't have any issue with someone in a suit with smart, clean flats that look suitable for the workplace.

I have been a bit hmm shock when interviewees have turned up wearing walking sandals, trainers or Uggs with a business suit.

peasandlove Fri 28-Feb-14 09:48:37

Uggs? No way! that's crazy

KnappShappeyShipwright Fri 28-Feb-14 19:25:02

Smart flats it is then - thanks for the replies. I just didn't want to look too dumpy or unsophisticated, I really want this job!

Sandals, trainers and Uggs were way off the mark - what were those interviewees thinking of? That said, I was surprised at how few men wore ties at the last assessment day I went to.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 01-Mar-14 01:48:55

Agree there are some lovely brogues around at the moment, and they would be good.

I'm fond of a kitten heel for a bit of height, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now