Is this ok for a wedding guest? What do you think?

(24 Posts)
MissPB Tue 25-Feb-14 13:40:29

I have just ordered this dress

thinking about wearing it to an early spring wedding. I am 39, it fits really well and gives me a lovely figure but do you think it is a bit old/frumpy? Worried about looking like a mum!

Puddles1234 Tue 25-Feb-14 13:50:14

It looks very chic.

What shoes and accessories are you going to pair with the dress?

magnummum Tue 25-Feb-14 13:52:24

I think it's lovely

chainedtothedesk Tue 25-Feb-14 13:52:49

Lovely. Not old or frumpy at all.

MissPB Tue 25-Feb-14 13:57:31

thank you! Not sure about shoes, tights or bag yet - would love any suggestions. I can't wear a necklace because it has a high neckline but I am thinking of wearing a lovely bracelet and earrings.

What colour shoes would go with the silver/grey dress? Red might be too much.

MerylStrop Tue 25-Feb-14 14:01:50

Its lovely, sexy, classic but not boring.

I think you are worried because it is Jaeger and Jaeger used to be the preserve of old ladies.

I think it needs simple fashion forward shoes and because of the lace not to much accessorising. Not black, black will kill it.

MissPB Tue 25-Feb-14 14:29:13

That is just it MerylStrop - Jaeger is (mostly) lovely stuff but I am worried it might be too old for me. Don't think the dress is really - but I do look nice and "grown up" in it.

I think you are right about black - I see on here that everyone hates the nude shoe, but what sort of colour could I go for - purple? green?

At 39 I am only just learning to being at least vaguely coordinated and put together!

HyvaPaiva Tue 25-Feb-14 14:33:03

LOVE it!

flipchart Tue 25-Feb-14 14:35:25

I'm sorry I'm going against the grain and I do think it is frumpy.

Puddles1234 Tue 25-Feb-14 14:56:53

If you style it how the model is wearing it such as wearing Stiletto heeled pumps in black like Christian Louboutins Pigelle it wont look frumpy. Unless you invest in some good quality nude stiletto pumps such as Louboutin, Manolo Blahnik or Saint Laurent then they just look cheap.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Tue 25-Feb-14 15:17:27

Perfect! Enjoy the wedding.

Beautiful.

I'd go for pale pink. Some may see it as an obvious choice but it will go lovely and be ideal for early spring.

Nice dress. It would be lovely with a really pale grey faux fur capelet thingie and dusky pink shoes, maybe with a bright pink clutch or the other way around!

annabamma Tue 25-Feb-14 21:00:54

Love it

Lj8893 Tue 25-Feb-14 21:36:44

I think its beautiful and I would wear it and I'm 25. Shoes I would go for either a pale or a bright pink.

Sillybones Tue 25-Feb-14 22:03:16

It is nice, but I think you're 20 years too young for it. Definitely wouldn't wear with pale pink - I'd go for orange, or purple, or bold blue. However, I do have to say I have no taste whatsoever . . .

BrunoBrookesDinedAlone Tue 25-Feb-14 22:11:30

Hmm. Black as you say is no-go, but it's a difficult colour to pair with.

I think it might be a bit frumpy, sorry. I don't think all lace like that is classic at all - looks too bodycon and cheap.

Sorry. Accessories will make or break it and I think it's a tough challenge.

BrokenButNotFinished Tue 25-Feb-14 22:19:56

I like it. I think it looks stylish and classy and not too old at all. I don't like the shoes they've paired with it in the picture: I don't know what I'd wear with it, but they look too dark to me. I notice they're calling it 'grey' but it seems to have a blue note from the photo.

ecuse Tue 25-Feb-14 22:35:13

Red stilettos all the way...

sleepdodger Tue 25-Feb-14 23:25:55

Chartreuse accessories

MissPB Wed 26-Feb-14 09:27:35

Thanks for all the comments - I am still in two minds about it.

The lace high neckline is the main thing I am not sure about - feels a bit overly covered up on me. The body bit is quite stylish but not sure about the sleeves and lace at the chest.

I will try it on again later and have another think.

TheBookofRuth Wed 26-Feb-14 09:31:02

I think it could look frumpy if you don't style it properly. I'd go for bright shoes, coral coloured maybe, with as high a heel as you can manage, and a brightly coloured cuff-style bracelet.

PrimalLass Wed 26-Feb-14 09:45:45

IMO the sleeves make it frumpy. And they make it hard to wear something over the dress as the sleeves get crumpled.

Walnut8 Wed 26-Feb-14 10:10:21

Yes to coral or orange accessories.
Yes to borderline frumpy.
f it makes you look great though, then you could pull it off.

and I'm a little insulted about your comment about "looking like a mum" !! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now