Bra Intervention - 36N??

(24 Posts)
MyNameGotChanged Sun 23-Feb-14 23:11:25

N/C as my name is pretty easily searched for by friends/family.

So I've seen a lot of talk about "bra intervention" threads over MN threads and finally found a link to the Bra Guru Fitting Guide so now I know what you're talking about.

Here's my problem...

I'm a 36" ribcage (which I already knew. I've tried 38 but they ride up at the back even on the tightest hook) and measuring a 57" in the boob part (21" difference). So my question is this. The website only says:

A,B,C,D,DD,E,F,FF,G,GG,H,HH,J,JJ,K,KK,L…..there is also the AA, which is smaller than an A. For each inch difference between your band size and your overbust measurement, you get a cup (starting at A) - so somebody measuring 30” underneath and 40” over would start at a 30GG.

Based on that I'm supposed to count up 21 cup sizes starting with A but L is 17" so.... now what? Does it go LL, M, MM, N? So I'm an N? Is that how this works? shock

My next question is... what bra brand goes to that size? I've been unable to find an L/LL (which is what I was guessing I am prior to this, I know I'm bigger than a KK as that's what i'm wearing right now and I have the dreaded "4 boob"... but I order my bras online so can't try them on until I get them) so how the bleep do I find an 36N? confused

HELP! I'm already looking into taking a course to make my own... is this (or a professional making them) my only option?

TIA!

Sadly, as far as I am aware it is sad It's pathetic, the range of bras still just is not where it needs to be. It is actually relatively easy to take in the band of bras, so it may be worth trying say a 38 or 40L and adjusting the back.

sykadelic15 Sun 23-Feb-14 23:29:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tilpil Mon 24-Feb-14 07:27:14

ccastro306 Sun 30-Mar-14 14:20:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Or maybe you could just tell us who these manufacturers are Chris so we can share the info with other women in this situation? The only off the shelf bras I'm aware of at those sizes are in brands which are american sized so skip the double letters and therefore aren't really N cups by british standards.

Note that the original poster in this thread doesn't have a 17" difference, she has a 21" difference. This is a predominantly UK forum so we have more cup sizes here.

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 30-Mar-14 15:04:39

How about these?

That's a perfect example of what I was mentioning above. It's an american brand, so when you look at the full details their sizes go ABCDEFGHIJKLMN so their N is much smaller than a UK N. It's about a UK JJ.

It's easy to miss unless you know the brands.

MyNameGotChanged2 Sat 05-Apr-14 16:18:34

OP here, issues with my other NN --

ccastro306 - I would love the names of any brands that have these sizes but I'd also be extremely surprised. I will PM you on here but I'm not comfortably emailing (for privacy reasons) as this OP caused me to get an extremely creepy PM (which I then reported of course). If you could PM me that would be great (and I'd then post them on here ladies :D)

StatisticallyChallenged exactly. Therein lies my problem. I google for sizes and end up with US sizes.

The US/Aussie sizes aren't the same. I don't live in the UK but I've always had to import my bras from the UK via a website I love. Here's their sizing guide that explains the cup difference: www.bellaforma.com.au/shop/Size-Chart-p-3.html When you look at their bras they list "UK sizing" or whatever so you know what the cup sizes are.

RonaldMcDonald Sat 05-Apr-14 16:26:37

i know that this is a bra thread but....they are big norks
do they hurt/restrict you?

i guess what i'm asking is...have you considered a reduction?
<by way of disclosure I thought long and hard about it as am 28HH>

nosy emoticon

Assuming that was aimed at OP but I'm not much bigger than you RonaldMcDonald (30HH/28J or thereabouts) and I've not strongly considered it. My best friend had one and I went with her to all the consultations etc so I'm pretty aware of what's involved IYKWIM.

That said, although I have a large cup size/small band I have quite big hips so I'm a relatively balanced. And I have worked out good bras for me so I don't suffer from pain or significant discomfort (We all have the odd bra niggle from time to time!) If I was in pain, or in the position where bras were really hard/impossible to get (i.e. in the OPs position) then I might feel differently.

MyNameGotChanged2 Sat 05-Apr-14 19:36:32

RonaldMcDonald The bra I have is pretty good, albeit a couple of cup sizes too small. It doesn't dig into my shoulders but I do get sore between my shoulder blades, especially on my left side right now (though I was in a car accident a few weeks ago which probably didn't help). I could do with a good shoulder massage. The weight causes me to hunch which doesn't help with the back pain so I work on that regularly.

As for "in the way"... there are a few quirks here and there (like putting on shoes and socks) but the biggest issue is finding tops that fit without looking like a tent.

And a reduction - yes I have considered it. Problem is they're still growing (I'm 30 so you'd think they should have stopped). And I was told they need to detach the nipple and I had hoped to have kids and bottle-feed breast milk (at least the colostrum).

That's the other thing - breast feeding/getting pregnant. They're already enormous, I'm concerned about when/if I get pregnant and finding a bra then... and breast-feeding itself. I've already told my husband (and plan on telling my doc when the time comes) that I do not want to breast-feed. Suffocation is a very real risk (I've read a few stories about women falling asleep or not noticing that the baby has suffocated).

I've gained a little bit of weight recently due to a medical condition and i'm hoping that if I lose weight they'll go down... last time I lost weight I went down a back size and cup size remained the same letter (so technically up a cup size). I think I'm going to need to find someone to make them for me, or learn myself. It will make my life a lot simpler down the line.

BuntyCollocks Sat 05-Apr-14 19:48:44

OP, just to let you know - I've successfully ebf two children after a reduction and I had a LOT of tissue taken out. I just had a really skilled surgeon.

Tiffanyanthea Fri 06-Mar-15 00:48:25

Have you tried the Elila 1305. They go up to an N cup. I've got a 38N and it is a great fit.

MountainDweller Sun 08-Mar-15 02:59:01

Www.Amplebosom.com has a couple of styles in 36N if you are still looking OP

Superherosidekick Sun 08-Mar-15 08:02:51

Ewa Michalak custom make bras and I know a lot of the bra people on here really rate them. They make up to LL in their standard range.

troyandabedintheafternoon Sun 08-Mar-15 08:40:04

MyNameGotChanged2 Thu 06-Aug-15 22:08:21

I only just saw these replies... weird.

Tiffanyanthea and MountainDweller Thanks smile Unfortunately those are in US sizing, not UK.

Superherosidekick Thanks! Ewa seems to be my only chance. There are 3 that go up to an M now, and up to an N if custom apparently... Not cheap though and to be completely honest, either the models aren't the best or the bras aren't very attractive sad

troyandabedintheafternoon Elomi are a UK sized cup, which as you fit into the JJ and K means you're actually a 36N in US sizing... not a 36N in UK sizing... but thank you!

~~~

Unfortunately I'm a UK 36N which is where I'm always getting into trouble. I have to check the fine print to check whether it's a US or UK cup, if it goes up to an N its usually US sizing (Ewa being the exception).

US - UK
N -JJ
O - K
P - KK
Q - L
R - LL
S - M
T - MM
U - N

For a UK "36N" I'd need a US "36U".

Right now I'm "making do" as my underwire snapped in my 36KK (and it snapped in this one just this week... here's my thread on that if anyone is interested: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2440585-Why-does-my-underwire-snap )

Thank you to everyone for helping though!

Tiffanyanthea Mon 11-Jan-16 01:14:30

Hi I know my Elila N cup is an American bra size but have you actually looked one out. The cups are really generous and with a 5 hook back it gives lots of support. Goes all the way up to a 52N so you could always get a slightly larger size and take the sides in. smile

MyNameGotChanged2 Mon 11-Jan-16 04:15:07

Tiffanyanthea No I haven't. As there are 7 cup sizes between a UK N and a US N it would be too small. I've spent so much money on bras that aren't the correct size in the vain hope I'd be able to adjust one... Thank you though smile

As it is, I'm currently wearing a 44H (American sizing). As I'm only a 36 in the back the 44 is the equivalent of a US 36M (ish) so it's still too small. The way it slouches though allows for more room. Doesn't look awful (I think) but my word does my back get sore quickly!

I'm still leaning towards making them myself though. I've just got to source the material/supplies and take the time.

Tiffanyanthea Tue 12-Jan-16 00:21:41

Ok, MyNameGotChanged2, I can appreciate you don't want to take a chance on something that might fit. I actually got my bra in Yorkshire from Amplebosom after a fitting. They are great ladies there. Here's the link if you were interested. www.amplebosom.com/elila-jacquard-bra-p227.php

I would start by buying a bra that has cups that fit, then getting the band adjusted. The independent bra boutique owner in my town recommended this way for me as they don't actually make bras in my size either. Narrow back, small boobs, pregnancy and breastfeeding makes teen bras not a supportive enough fit- need proper cups.

At one stage I resorted to tie to your own tightness bikini tops... So I feel your pain with bra size availability.

I would start by buying a bra that has cups that fit, then getting the band adjusted. The independent bra boutique owner in my town recommended this way for me as they don't actually make bras in my size either. Narrow back, small boobs, pregnancy and breastfeeding makes teen bras not a supportive enough fit- need proper cups.

At one stage I resorted to tie to your own tightness bikini tops... So I feel your pain with bra size availability.

Have you checked ewa michalak recently? They have a new range of fb bras which are avail up to a 36N. They're a polish company but the cups map to UK sizing. It's not on the dropdown but if you look at the fb bras you'll see text at the bottom about it. A 36 is an 80 in polish. I've got loads of their bras abd the quality is excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now